The Beginning Of A New End: Julen Lopetegui Argote

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Ayayain, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I think everyone knows he was not the first choice or even the second..

2. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Having more experience and "authority" doesn't lead to success, not at Real Madrid and not with this dressing room. Look at Benitez. Conte is an absolute mess, having started fights at Juve and Chelsea, and was essentially begging for a sack in both clubs. Wenger has been done for a decade now, no one takes him seriously as a coach. And Blanc is about just as inexperienced as Lopetegui.

Lopetegui has a lot of things going for him. He has the team captain fully behind him and is very familiar with a lot of the squad already. He plays suitable football for the club, and is very aware of club values.

-Reivax-, Shay Z, 9Qui and 2 others repped this.
  3. Iscodisco

Iscodisco Member

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Dec 14, 2017
    With the best defender in the world, the best fullback in the world, the best midfield duo in the world and possibly the greatest goalscorer of all time, any manager who comes in here will probably win the CL again.

I expect him to perform better than Zidane did last year. If he has Zidane's luck then we will win the CL again but I hope we win the league.

4. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    cE6d1ip-564x575-225x229.jpg

raven3k, Shay Z, RMSocrates and 4 others repped this.
  5. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Lol that was his face when Benzema made Karius look like a circus clown.

raven3k, Shay Z, madridista_hr and 6 others repped this.
  6. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Seriously i could imagine him grinding his teeth while typing that

Deep Pal and YOUNGSTARS87 repped this.
  7. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I actually agree with your point that a coach with authority, experience and charisma is better suited for us but the names you gave simply don't match that description and honestly most of the options that were available (and unavailable) don't fit that description either.

8. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I agree Lopetegui has a lot of things going for him, but not the most essential ones for a Madrid coach. He doesn't command the respect that a Madrid coach should, mostly because of the fact that he hasn't won anything in his career, but also because he is not exactly what you would call charismatic. Conte may have had his run ins, but he is passion personified and a proven winner in England and Italy. Blanc has been champion of France several times (and not just with PSG). And Wenger is a coaching legend and one of the greatest ever. With real budget he could rejuvenate the team perfectly.

I simply think Lopetegui is not able to oversee an overhaul which is what we need at this point. I hope I am wrong though.

9. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You think Wenger doesn't have authority, experience and charisma, or at least that Lopetegui is better than him in these aspects?

10. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    He already has the club captain going out a day before the start of the WC to shit on the FA president and defend the coach they just sacked. I think that's respect.
    Won the U19 and U21 Euros with Spain with a lot of the players that have graduated to the current NT.

raven3k, Shay Z, 9Qui and 3 others repped this.
  11. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Then lets hope that NT success can translate to club football, especially in the league. The only experience with Porto was bad and there is no other way about it unfortunately.

And of course Ramos will support his former national and current club manager. Every coach deserves respect by his players, but with superstars like Madrid's players, who are larger than life, it will be difficult unless you have a big CV and/or character.

12. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wenger has been semi retired for years. He's the last coach to lead a club like RM.

13. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    why the hell some of you even talking about Wenger? dude finished like 5 years ago. happy for new coach, quite safe decision.

ahnaf, Deep Pal and MerlinRM repped this.
  14. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Wenger would be walked all over in Madrid by the players, media, and fans alike. Would be worse than Rafa.

15. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Authority - no, charisma - hell no. Experience? Well, he has more experience but it's not really a better one isn't it?

Deep Pal repped this.
  16. Deep Pal

Deep Pal Member+

Jun 19, 2013
    India,Kolkata
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    This statement is as much of a joke as the person in your dp.

17. Real__Madrid

Real__Madrid Member+

Aug 29, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Hierro: "I am very proud of my players. Cristiano is extraordinary, but I wouldn't trade him for any of my players."

LOL. How about ALL, with only Ramos being debatable .

madridista_hr repped this.
  18. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Wenger legit can't remember the names of his players anymore sometimes.

19. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    [​IMG]

Wenger is a legendary manager, one of the GOATs and Lopetegui can't really compare to him in any way. If you don't like him for whatever reason just say so but no need to go against reality.

20. MaxY

MaxY Member+

May 24, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Wenger is 68 yo and way past it. He coached Arsenal for 22 seasons and had a grand slam of 3 league titles (the last one being in 2003/4 aka 15 years ago) and 0 Champion Leagues. He's only one of the GOATs in the eyes of someone who admires Balotelli and thinks he's good enough for Real Madrid.

I think your perception of reality might be a bit different to the rest of the world.

Umar, Bear Crotch, CR7PT and 10 others repped this.
  21. Phenom9

Phenom9 Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    only a bit different? :D:ROFLMAO:

22. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    What does age have to do with anything. Heynckes is older and we were considering him. Wenger is one of the biggest names in management history and for a good reason. He hasnt won that many titles because he was loyal to a club that could never compete financially with the heavyweights of England and Europe. Yet he still won 3 out of the last 5 FA cups and revolutionized the game in his coaching career.

Only someone with zero knowledge of football would say that Lopetegui is a better coach than Wenger. I guess I will get a reply about how terrible of a football player Balotelli is and since I have him in my avatar I must be stupid. No worries, I expect no less. People simply have short memory and limited capacity for reason, especially when myths and biases in football are concerned.

23. kelvinphr

kelvinphr Member+

Aug 23, 2007
    Botswana
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ESPN FC clowns saying Lopetegui was/is rooting against Spain.

Deep Pal repped this.
  24. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I think loyal is the wrong word. When the fans want you out for years and are protesting in the stands, I don't think you can call staying in your position loyal.

Anyway, this isn't the Wenger thread, and what's done is done.

S1na and Deep Pal repped this.
  25. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    A minority of the fans, and not because hes a bad coach, but whatever. Moving on.