The Beginning Of A New End: Julen Lopetegui Argote

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Ayayain, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    libertao repped this.
  2. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm glad Floren came right out and spoke of the anti-madrid sentiment. This whole thing is simply ridiculous.

These deals get done all the time. I mean Mourinho got onto a bus to get to Madrid as soon as he collected his CL medal.

Then you have idiots like Griez who are posting Decision videos like he's LeBron James but no one bats an eye there.

libertao, Saeta Rubia, Ahmadi8 and 2 others repped this.
  3. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Florentino is like Stalin. He claps for ages after Lopetegui gets emotional, and everyone else claps. As soon as he stoped clapping, everyone else in the room stopped.

Anon., ahnaf, Zidane05 and 2 others repped this.
  4. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    Or insigne [emoji6]

5. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    You better be right like with Pepe. :(

6. Ayayain

Ayayain Member+

Real Madrid
    Nov 29, 2017
    He will be right, in 2019 though.

7. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Don't really care about Spain, but this guy is an absolutely uninspiring choice. Zero pedigree, and the only player he can draw to Madrid is that Sociedad rightback. Which would be good but far from the revolution we need. But since Florentino seemingly is against revolution, hiring someone like Lopetegui is no surprise.

Hopefully he can help move more towards Isco ball, but apparently he gushes over Messi and people who do that are losers.

8. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We don't need a big name coach to attract top players. Especially when we have won 4 out of last 5 CLs. You think Ronaldo, Kaka', Benz and Xabi joined in 2009 for Pellegrini? :D

Anon., Shay Z, libertao and 1 other person repped this.
  9. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  10. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I think his Spain tactics will be a bit tough to replicate. Can't see Ronaldo being patient enough with a slow build up like that. But like I said in the transfers thread, you could surround him with 5 midfielders to keep hold of the ball more.

temesgen and Deep Pal repped this.
  11. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #436 saadomar, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    I think Lopetegui was as good a choice as it gets given the circumstance. I think he's the right fit, compared to the other names thrown around.

The Spanish FA president who fired him is a piece of garbage. You can tell how much it meant to JL to manage the national team. Idgaf about the Spanish natl team, but obviously this guy was all in.

Obviously anti-madridismo is blowing up to almost disproportionate levels now. I bet all the Catalans and Madrid haters were amping up the pressure to get Lopetegui fired when they heard the news. F those clowns!

This video just breaks my heart. If you saw the full video, you get to see his dad just breaking into tears when he said about how it was the "saddest day of his life". No father in the world wants to hear that from their son. The people who did that to him deserve the worst.

He was trying to do the right thing and be honest with all parties involved. Instead a man-child has a temper tantrum to prop up his ego (a la Trump) and fires this dude without thinking twice and against all common sense. I hope that Ravioli (idgaf what his actual name is) guy doesn't get re-elected.

And let's be honest. How many of us even remember more than a handful of national team managers by name? That stuff is easily water under the bridge after any major tournament. So I don't blame Lopetegui for looking ahead. But they called his integrity and professionalism into question by that move. the Spanish FA are a buncha idiots.

raven3k repped this.
  12. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If this is such a problem FIFA should take matters into their own hands and just ban negotiations during the tournament as well as a week before.

They won't do that because it's not a big deal.

Deep Pal repped this.
  13. Horsehead

Horsehead Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I don't even know what to say, I've been so stunned at this chain of events. Rubiales did none of the building the team, created nothing, had no hardships... except for feeling supremely butthurt. His indignation just rings so hollow. The players and coaches did the actual hard work over the last couple years to get ready for this and they were prepared as a team and they wanted to continue.

¡#$%^&*!

raven3k, Shay Z, PigBenis and 14 others repped this.
  14. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    I'm really excited about the appointment, I think he could have the squad playing a very attractive and tactically smart brand of soccer. The younger players will get opportunities and I think we ave a chance here to close a chapter and be much more balanced.

Shay Z, 9Qui and Zidane05 repped this.
  15. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Of course you don't need a big name coach to attract top players, but it can help especially regarding players said coach has worked with. My point was more that Florentino's choice to go with Lopetegui means he wants to leave things as they are.

16. MaxY

MaxY Member+

May 24, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You're literally talking out of your ass. Lopetegui was literally the biggest available name around. Pochettino can't get out, Allegri said no. Everybody else is taken.

How does getting Lopetegui means that Florentino wants to leave things as they are? No correlation at all.

Shay Z and Ahmadi8 repped this.
  17. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Lopetegui is not a big enough a name to command an overhaul, neither does he have a vision of how to do it. He doesn't really have much experience managing a club, and the one he has (Porto) has been pretty unsuccessful. There were plenty of more reputable names out there with much more experience, personality and authority, such as Wenger, Conte or Blanc. Any one of them could have taken the club in a new era. With Lopetegui its more of the same, with hopefully some touch of Spain. He is Zidane without the name and Pellegrini minus the club experience.

18. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'd rather have Lopetegui than Conte or Wenger honestly. Wenger was never a realistic choice and Conte wouldn't last 6 months here, let alone take us into a new era.

We don't need new ERA's, we need a couple of La Liga titles in the next 4 years and i think Lopetegui can pull that off.

19. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Lopetegui has a history with the club, did well with the Spanish youth teams, took Porto to the quarters of the semis and stayed on par with Bayern for the most part, and had Spain looking like the team to beat before the ass Rubialies fired him. Please don't act like he is some scrub off the street @Hendrix22.

Shay Z, PigBenis, Horsehead and 5 others repped this.
  20. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Good start.

1007593348016861184 is not a valid tweet id

-Reivax-, raven3k, Hsain85 and 13 others repped this.
  21. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    With the BBC leading the charge again? Not gonna happen.

I don't think Lopetegui is a scrub. I said what my problem with him is: lack of experience, authority and charisma. The alternatives I mentioned (Wenger, Conte, Blanc) are much better than him at these characteristics, which are the most important for being Madrid coach. Spain was great long before him and will continue to be after him. His only club experience where he was given a shitload of money and still managed to accomplish nothing. I'm not saying he's a scrub but we should have done better.

22. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    They definitely weren't great when he became the coach. They were in a crisis and interestingly they needed a transition. Lope did manage to do it perfectly.

-Reivax- and 9Qui repped this.
  23. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Sure, new era. But new era of what? Era of shit and mediocrity.

raven3k and Ahmadi8 repped this.
  24. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Conte is shit when it comes to handling people and i don't think Wenger or Blanc would have any special respect by our players and fans. I think Lopetegui will have the players support and the fans, even more so after the Spain fiasco. His tactics are good and i think if he manages to keep the team focused we can win La Liga next season.

I've also read from many Porto fans about how bad he was with Porto but then again i think it comes down to the personnel he had there. You can put Guardiola on charge of any team and if he doesn't have the players he needs for his system he's gonna be an utter failure and that's the deal with many top coaches today. I for example think Klopp's gegenpressing would never work with the current players we have. Let's not forget that Zidane, who's now being hailed as one of the best coaches ever, just finished a SHIT La Liga campaign. What i want to say is that there's no perfect coach, it's all about hard work, the right ideas and tactics, and in the end it comes up to how the team performs.

I am for Bale leaving, Benzema can stay. I'm still undecided on Cristiano, i think he's gonna be more trouble than good next season and i don't think we can afford half of season where he scores 1 goal in 50 shots, but then again you just don't know with him.

9Qui and temesgen repped this.
  25. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If coaches that have more experience, authority and charisma than Lopetegui will lead to era of shit and mediocrity, I wonder what he will bring.

Its good to rally behind a new coach and support him. I do too and I hope he can take on the challenge. Any acquisition can be rationalized the way @Eddie did, but there is no point denying that there are coaches out there with more experience, authority and charisma, which are the things Madrid coach needs even more than tactical knowledge and attacking football.