The "before the tournaments" no-call

Discussion in 'Referee' started by RespectTheGame, Oct 18, 2016.

1. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Law5 , I notice you're in OR. Does "Moist day" mean "it was pouring rain but the GKs could sorta see each other so we played"?

We don't have "Moist days" in CO. Either it is actually raining or the rain has already dried up.

dadman repped this.
  2. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would Rep this 50 times if I could.

Not only does it affect your rep, but it may affect how the teams treat next week's/season's refs.

timtheref repped this.
  3. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    "You're a better man than I, Gunga Din!"
    Given what you say about the school, it's location and getting blacklisted etc., I would strike that school off MY list and never go back there again, playoff or whatever. Been there, done that!

PH

4. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Yep, I've gotten involved in post-game email brouhahas about how horrible I was twice, both times with dinky out of the way schools that play bad soccer. Haven't been back to either in years, and I'm perfectly happy that way.

cmonref repped this.
  5. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    Getting banned from a bad location and bad soccer is a win.

IASocFan, dadman, AremRed and 1 other person repped this.
  6. timtheref

timtheref Member

Aug 23, 2010
    All of this thread is just further validating my decision to retire from high school soccer this year. Don't worry, I'm maintaining my USSF Grade 6 and my NISOA badges. I'm just done with the catastrophe that is high school soccer.

dadman, Raider025, cmonref and 1 other person repped this.
  7. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tell myself that every year. Haven't given in to quitting yet though.

dadman repped this.
  8. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    I have also refused to go to a college that scratched a colleague (who later became a FIFA!). Not because he was a
    lousy referee but because his style of refereeing did not suit the team's playing style, aka he did not let them get away with all kinds of crap that several other referees did, either through weakness or naivete. It was also over 100 miles away, so no great loss. If there was more solidarity among referees, this blacklisting business would soon stop, but I know there are always people who will do the games of even the biggest jerk of a coach, for reasons of money or otherwise. :mad:

PH

dadman, RespectTheGame and AremRed repped this.
  9. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    @Law5 and @PH: Plenty of other fish in the sea.

10. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    What are you implying here?

PH

11. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Something is going on.

12. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    I'd say one taco over the line

dadman repped this.
  13. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    That you've got plenty of other opportunities to ref, and don't need those few places that don't want you.

GoDawgsGo, Law5, dadman and 1 other person repped this.
  14. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    Related story today. Officiating adult tournament, players been drinking all day, 5pm game kicks off, in the fifth minute give a dissent card. At the end of the game I allow a few seconds of stoppage time for a free kick. Free kick blocked by the wall, I end the game. Same player looks at my watch and loses his mind that I didn't end the game on the exact 30 minute mark. He announces that he is blocking me from all of his high school games. I give his second dissent caution. He now has to sit out the rest of the tournament. My ar informed me that had to be the most empty handed threat he has ever heard from a player because the player coaches at a school at the other end of the state and the odds of me being assigned to one of his games is neal.

dadman, AremRed and Pierre Head repped this.
  15. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Yes, that is always true. My other point was that if good referees get blacklisted, other good referees should
    boycott those places. After they get a season of rookies or otherwise 2nd & 3rd rate referees, they might change their
    minds. When they ask why they don't get any of the top referees, they will realize the folly of their ways.

But of course it requires solidarity, which as we saw in the recent MLS lockout, will always fail. BTW, where are those referees who took the matches in MLS during the lockout? Are any of them on the MLS lists now, or have they faded away?

PH

16. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    Several are now in the MLS.

17. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you entirely, the unfortunate other side of that coin is that when they have less experienced referees or those that care about whether they are scratched they are more easily manipulated. Hence the coach gets their way and the games called the way they want them.

cmonref repped this.
  18. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Names please, and games they did under the lockout?

PH

19. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    Jose da Silva is the first one that comes to mind from Florida. He did an AR s on back to back days in LA.

20. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    You said several...
    This is only one but even he is not listed on their web site. :cautious:
    Fact checkers please?

Try again.

PH

21. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
  22. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    Do assistant referees not count? No one to my knowledge who did an MLS middle during the lockout is doing MLS Middles now to my knowledge.

23. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    OK. I looked at the referees and 4th lists. I was not thinking about ARs in my initial question.
    But even so, one is not several is it?

PH

24. cmonref

cmonref Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Stillwater
    I can't think of the other names off the top off my head, but I did have a conversation with a ref coach about this a few months ago. Actually it was a more of a rant from him.

25. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Did you stay in a Holiday Inn Express as well, by any chance?:D

PH