The Azzurri At The U21 Championship Thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Deleted User x, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Our best bet is to beat Germany, and hope that the Czechs do not beat Denmark. If that is the case then we will be through. Let's hope Denmark have the games of their lives tomorrow and can really stop the Czechs. Well I gotta say that they do have a great defense so its definitely possible, and since they have nothing to play for, I don't expect them to go all out at anytime.

If we beat Germany and the Czechs also beat Denmark, we will have to beat Germany by 3-0 to go through which I highly doubt will happen. I do expect us to beat the Germans, but it will likely be 2-1, or 2-0 at the very maximum.

2. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Actually I just realized now after looking closer at the classification rules, I just realized that if we beat Germany by 2-0, and the Czechs beat Denmark, that would knock Germany out, with Czech Republic topping the group and us coming in second. That would obviously knock us out as well because Slovakia would have a better goal difference. However if we beat Germany 3-1, then we would be top of the group, putting Germany in second, and Czechs in third.

If we beat Germany 3-1, and Czechs beat Denmark it would look like this.

Germany 2-0 Czech Republic
    Czech Republic 3-1 Italy
    Italy 3-1 Germany

1. Points in head-to-head matches among tied teams;
    All have 3 points
    1. Goal difference in head-to-head matches among tied teams;
    Italy (0), Germany (0), Czech Republic (0)
    1. Goals scored in head-to-head matches among tied teams;
    Italy (4 goals), Germany (3 goals), Czech Republic (3 goals) Italy tops the Group
    1. If more than two teams are tied, and after applying all head-to-head criteria above, a subset of teams are still tied, all head-to-head criteria above are reapplied exclusively to this subset of teams;
    Germany has head to head record advantage over Czech Republic. Germany second, and Czechs third.
    1. Goal difference in all group matches;
    2. Goals scored in all group matches;
    3. penalty shoot-out if only two teams have the same number of points, and they met in the last round of the group and are tied after applying all criteria above (not used if more than two teams have the same number of points, or if their rankings are not relevant for qualification for the next stage);
    4. Disciplinary points (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points);
    5. UEFA coefficient for the final draw.
    So in that case a 3-1 win would do it. I think the most important thing is to aim to score 3 goals, and that means if we concede 1 it won't be a big deal. If we concede 2, we have to score 4 and that will do it. Pretty much any 2 goal win other than 2-0 would put is top of the group no matter what happens between the Czechs and Danes. However any win vs Germany would put us top if the Czechs fail to beat Denmark.

Rosay, cipro and forza_azzurri repped this.
  3. cipro

cipro Member

Oct 9, 2005
    PhuckHead
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Thanks, Italy-Azzurri-Fan. I didn't consider that we could still top the group even if the Czechs win. Our best bet is for the Danes to take points off the Czechs and for us to get a narrow win against Germany.

Something dramatic has to change for us to beat Germany. I don't know what lineup or formation Di Biagio is going to employ. Germany started the same 4-2-3-1 with the same players in both games. Petagna, Bernadeschi & Berardi up top has proven ineffective. I'm also worried that Conti is more of a wingback than a RB and that he might be tired. I thought we were going to build on the good 2nd half against Denmark but Di Biagio lost it.

4. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't think we are beating Germany by 2 goals.

I think Denmark has a better shot at a win/draw vs Czech than we have of beating Germany 3-1.

5. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    At this point, just make up for the crap game played against the Czech and let the chip falls where they will fall.

Calcio Pauly and Rosay repped this.
  6. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If we tie against Germany i'll be impressed, win? Sorry, not going to happen.

7. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't know why you say this. I mean yes Germany has been way more impressive so far, but if you look at the teams on paper, I think Italy is superior. I believe that we underestimated Czech Republic. If you look at how we played vs the Czechs, we were quite disorganized and not quick enough.

I am counting on this that we will have the game of our lives, and do something really impressive. Whether its enough I have no idea, but I do expect a win. Remember last U21 european championship when we were tipped to lose to England, however we had the performance of our lives and beat England 3-1. Unfortunately Portugal and Sweden drew which screwed us, but thank goodness that this time a 2 goal win other than 2-0 will do it regardless. I really think we should really try to go all out attack from the first min and try for the three goals. This will leave us open at the back, but if we are all concentrated and organized we shouldn't concede more than 2. Maybe slow down if we have a 2-0 lead but still push.

8. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Trust me, i hope i'm wrong but Germany is looking really good.

9. O'Ghiattone

O'Ghiattone Member+

Jan 11, 2014
    Ireland
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Donnarumma; Conti, Rugani, Caldara, Barreca; Chiesa, Gagliardini, Pellegrini, Benassi; Berardi, Bernardeschi

Di Biagio finally brings Chiesa in from the start and drops the misfiring Petagna!! 3 mobile forwards could be interesting but someone will have to be making runs into the box, last thing we need is a bunch of crosses into an empty box.

10. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well Denmark is helping us

11. thorus

thorus Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
  12. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    damn back to 1-1 in the Denmark - Czech game.

13. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  14. O'Ghiattone

O'Ghiattone Member+

Jan 11, 2014
    Ireland
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    goal for Bernadeschi, some good pressing and a sweet first time touch by Chiesa to put Bernadeschi through

15. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Italy has been the superior team by a great margin these first 35 minutes. I am worried that Berardi is losing control of his emotions though....stupid yellow means he misses next game.

16. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Damn was Di Biagio wrong about not playing Benassi and Gagliardini last game. Our midfield has been solid so far.

Rosay, Calcio Pauly and cipro repped this.
  17. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Denmark up 2-1 now...

18. O'Ghiattone

O'Ghiattone Member+

Jan 11, 2014
    Ireland
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yeah makes Di Biagio's decision to change around players look like self-sabotage

19. cipro

cipro Member

Oct 9, 2005
    PhuckHead
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    The Pellegrini, Gagliardini, Benassi midfield look much better than they did in the first game. They just needed more time to gel. Was Caldara really injured last game? I saw his name on the subs list against the Czechs. What is Di Biagio going to do with his 3 subs, lol?

We can definitely do this if the Danes keep it up. They lead by a goal 1-2. Forza Italia!!!!

20. O'Ghiattone

O'Ghiattone Member+

Jan 11, 2014
    Ireland
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yeah i dont believe Caldara was injured at all, just Di Biagio being a knob and resting him

Calcio Pauly and cipro repped this.
  21. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I know we can't really worry about it now but if we advance no Conti or Berardi

22. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Berardi will be a big loss. The Germans are terrified of the guy. And not just because of his footballing skills...he always seems to be on the verge of pimp slapping somebody...

23. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Italy win 1-0 while outplaying Germany the whole game. Man of the match was Bernardeschi, who is the best offensive player on either team. Berardi is second...no player on Germany is in the same class (based on what I saw in this game).

Not sure if Germany is through based on this result, but it looks like they gave up at around the 82 minute. Watching the game on Spanish ESPN, so couldn't understand anything.

24. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Germany are best 2nd place & will play England. We have Spain.

25. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Lol. It seemed that way. The game grinded to a halt with about ten minutes to go. Couldn't understand what the announcers were saying, but Germany stopped trying to win.