The Azzurri At The U21 Championship Thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Deleted User x, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That is very true. I gotta say I love watching us play against Spain because its pretty much Catenaccio vs Tiki Taka. Two contrasts of football. In the past Spain has had the upper hand not just because of lack of defenders but I think the whole team has been lacking in the past years. We are coming back, and it has already shown a year ago on how we knocked Spain out of Euro 2016. I honestly still believe that we would have won the game if it wasn't for Gagliardini's sending off.

I also don't understand why you are all blaming Di Biagio? He might not be best in the world for this job, but he is definitely above average. Considering how stupid many national team managers are, and how most of the world class managers prefer clubs instead, we are really lucky to have Di Biagio. I have always been thankful for all our managers in the past that Italy has been able to have. Prandelli was the only rubbish manager we have had in such a long time, and even he made it to Euro 2012 final although that could arguably have been a fluke.

2. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    I guess I'm old enough to remember many times when we were clearly better than Spain. Just because they like to possess the ball does not make them a better team.

I'm not saying we have young versions of Baresi, Cannavaro, Nesta, or Maldini. But, we do have some very good young defenders. Caldara, Rugani, and Romagnoli are very good and should be good enough to build a Cup winning team in the future. However, defense isn't and never has been played with defenders alone.

The midfield must track back and act as a buffer in front of the defense. Scrappy guys like DDR and Verratti really help to contain attacks. This midfield was very disorganized and did not do a great job of closing people down in front of the D.

I don't care if you have Cannavaro, Baresi, and Beckenbauer back there. If your midfield leaves you exposes, you will pay.

Rosay repped this.
  3. cipro

cipro Member

Oct 9, 2005
    PhuckHead
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I only caught the last 10 minutes of the final, but it looks like taking out Petagna for an extra midfielder was the right move -- as some posters mentioned before the semifinal. Germany looked really well organize and they quickly closed down the Spanish midfield, not giving them any space. They were playing a 4-1-4-1. Our approach seemed really naive in retrospect. If Di Biagio was more of a Kuntz, it could've been us lifting the trophy today.

Rosay, O'Ghiattone and Calcio Pauly repped this.
  4. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Germany did the right thing. No space to Spains midfield. Makes you wonder how out to lunch Di Biagio really has to be too not be able to recognize that.

Rosay, cipro and O'Ghiattone repped this.
  5. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well I gotta say that I am so happy that Germany won it and not Spain. We are still the most successful U21 team in European Championship. Seriously though this even is more proof that I believe we would have won if it was not for Gagliardini's sending off.

Anyway its only the U21's. In my opinion what is important for U21 is that the team plays well and is threatening which is good. Winning is not as important when it comes to U21, because its not the real team. When it comes to the real Italy NT (senior team), thats when winning is the most important thing. Gagliardini did get sent off, but he will learn I am sure for the future.

Rosay repped this.
  6. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I hate both teams equally. I think we have a decently bright future, golden age? That's still to be determined but it's a possibility.

7. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Good news and bad news

The bad news is our U20 team got hammered 5-1 today by England.

The good news is our U21 team is up 5-0 at half on Hungary

8. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #258 Nek Sanalet, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Cutrone, Chiesa, and Orsolini may actually become a better front three than (the still not integrated) Belotti, Bernardeschi, and Berardi. Time will tell as they are 4 years younger, and at 23 the latter three are still developing before they reach their own respective peaks. I still can't believe that the senior squad hasn't made a more concentrated effort to implement 4 3 3.