The Azzurri At The U21 Championship Thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Deleted User x, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Group C

Czech Republic
    Denmark
    Germany
    Italy

June 18 vs Denmark
    June 21 vs Czech Rep.
    June 24 vs Germany

2. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    let's top this mother ********en group boysssss

calabrese8 repped this.
  3. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006

Hahaha. Get 'er done.

How does Germany look this year? Are they to be feared at all?

4. cipro

cipro Member

Oct 9, 2005
    PhuckHead
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    It's going to be tough even getting out of the group with this new format. Only the 1st place teams from each of the 3 groups + the best 2nd place team advance to the next round. And that is the Semi-finals.

The best 2nd is determined in this order:
    1) points; 2) goal difference; 3) goals scored; 4) disciplinary points; 5) coefficient

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_UEFA_European_Under-21_Championship

I remember I was so mad 2 years ago when Di Biagio partnered Bianchetti with Rugani instead of Romagnoli in the first game against Sweden. We played so arrogantly and Sturaro got sent off. We played well in the next two games but then we got served a Biscotti in the final minutes of the Sweden - Portugal game.

I do feel confident that Di Biagio and the surviving players from the last tournament will give us a good showing.

Deleted User x repped this.
  5. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    our team is stacked. if they don't make it out of the group's regardless of format then it will be a waste

Nek Sanalet and cipro repped this.
  6. cipro

cipro Member

Oct 9, 2005
    PhuckHead
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I don't know much about them. Maybe a German poster can fill us in. Leroy Sane & Timo Werner weren't call up.

Mahmoud Dahoud looked very promising in the CL. Serge Gnabry is a very fast winger and a good goal scorer from what I've seen. Davie Selke is tipped to be among the top goalscorers in the tournament. Germany scored the most goals in the Qualifiers.

I've seen Spain, Germany & Portugal getting better odds from the bookies to win the tournament than us -- for what it's worth.

7. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Ya but Italy never had good odds. even with our stacked team in world cup 2002 I think the odds still didn't look good

8. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #8 Nek Sanalet, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    It's interesting to see which formation Italy will line up with now that Di Biagio has a full strength squad at his disposal. I wonder if he follows Ventura's lead and goes 4 2 4. I would think not, but any Italian lineup would be stellar other than at CF.

These would make sense in a 4 2 4....

CF: Petagna
    SS: Bernardeschi
    W: Chiesa Berardi
    M: Pellegrini Gagliardini
    D: Barreca Caldara Rugani Conti
    G: Donnarumma

9. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Final team w/ #'s. Bernadeschi gets the #10

Goalkeepers: 17 Alessio Cragno (Benevento), 1 Gianluigi Donnarumma (Milan), 19 Simone Scuffet (Udinese)

Defenders: 3 Antonio Barreca (Torino), 14 Davide Biraschi (Genoa), 2 Davide Calabria (Milan), 13 Mattia Caldara (Atalanta), 12 Andrea Conti (Atalanta), 22 Alex Ferrari (Verona), 23 Giuseppe Pezzella (Palermo), 4 Daniele Rugani (Juventus)

Midfielders: 15 Marco Benassi (Torino), 5 Danilo Cataldi (Genoa), 18 Roberto Gagliardini (Inter), 8 Alberto Grassi (Atalanta), 21 Manuel Locatelli (Milan), 6 Lorenzo Pellegrini (Sassuolo)

Forwards: 7 Domenico Berardi (Sassuolo), 10 Federico Bernardeschi (Fiorentina), 9 Alberto Cerri (Pescara), 20 Federico Chiesa (Fiorentina), 16 Luca Garritano (Cesena), 11 Andrea Petagna (Atalanta)

calabrese8, Rosay and Deleted User x repped this.
  10. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    The odds makers have Germany and Spain as favorites over us. I have to say I'm dumbfounded by that. I look at those teams and they are good, but this Italy team is loaded everywhere. I mean stacked. The only area of weakness at all in my opinion is center forward. Petagna is a solid player but he won't blow you away. Otherwise, this team is ridiculous. We are going to be having very good Serie A starters probably sitting on the bench because of the depth of talent.

The only way they fck this up is if they come out complacent and lazy because of the press they've gotten (which is always possible given that we are Italians).

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  11. Alex101

Alex101 Member

Mar 15, 2017
    I wouldn't bother starting Petagna he should only be a sub. Bernedeschi needs to play forward and Berardi on the right wing. If Belotti was only 1 month younger he would be on the team as well.

I wouldn't say this team is stacked Spain's midfield is the best. I'd say Italy is the most balanced team in the tournament,

12. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    I rate Benassi, Gagliardini, and Pellegrini just as highly if not more than the Spanish midfield. Toss in Berardi and Bernardeschi (even Chiesa who can play wing) and to me that is stacked.

Nek Sanalet and Rosay repped this.
  13. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    imagine if Romagnoli was fit too. our defence would be stacked as well. but I have no problems with Rugani and Caldara partnership. that's going to be key in shutting other teams out

Nek Sanalet repped this.
  14. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I mentioned a possible 4 2 4 lineup above based on what the senior team has recently fielded, but for me, 4 3 3 with those exact three players in midfield is what I want to see above all else. A nice mixture of creativity and grit.

Yeah, if Romagnoli made it and Belotti was just a few months younger, this team could probably challenge the senior squad.

15. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Petagna and Cerri are the weak links up top for sure, but I would not play Bernardeschi as a lone forward. He's better served as a secondary striker or on the left wing IMO.

Rosay repped this.
  16. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I actually don't mind Petagna that much. He holds up play well. Olivier Giroud lite?

17. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Petagna does hold up the ball well. Sort of like a poor man's Bernardo Corradi...remember him? Problem is he doesn't score. He's a full time starter on an Atalanta team that finished 4th and he only had 5 goals. Great team player though.

18. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    But with our wingers, it might actually be beneficial to have a striker like that. Imagine him laying the ball off to Bernardeschi, Berardi, and Chiesa :thumbsup:

Rosay repped this.
  19. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italy is gonna have to win the group to qualify for the semi finals. That second place team is coming from Group B because Macedonia absolutely stinks so that 2nd place team will have the superior goal difference. They were ranked 40th before qualification. Amazing they edged out France.

cipro repped this.
  20. O'Ghiattone

O'Ghiattone Member+

Jan 11, 2014
    Ireland
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Donnarumma; Conti, Rugani, Caldara, Barreca; Benassi, Gagliardini, Pellegrini; Berardi, Petagna, Bernardeschi

Team for game against Denmark. Di Biagio went with the right line up for tonight.

Rosay and cipro repped this.
  21. O'Ghiattone

O'Ghiattone Member+

Jan 11, 2014
    Ireland
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    playing a bit within ourselves. Denmark bit more physical

22. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    any streams?

23. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    its on Watch ESPN

24. Anthony212

Anthony212 Member

Aug 8, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  25. Anthony212

Anthony212 Member

Aug 8, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The Dollaruma sign was hysterical. Throwing paper money at him was even better. Berardi looks lost. Petegna should just quite soccer