The Avram Grant discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by The_ChelseaSupporter, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Chelsea chief executive and Manchester United supporter Peter Kenyon :rolleyes: has voiced his "absolute confidence" in manager Avram Grant and backed him to stay at the helm beyond this season.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/7296880.stm

"We appointed Avram in September on a four-year contract, it was never pre-conditional on this season," he insisted.

"Anybody who knows football knows you cannot guarantee winning.

"We have a great run-in towards the end of the season [to look forward to]. We are in a good place."

a good place???!!? are you fcucking serious you filthy manc b'stard?

2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's backing him and has absolute confidence, eh? Man, the guy's deader in the water than I thought :D

3. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Finally, some good news on the Grant front.

He;s got the vote of confidence.

:D

Gone before the end of the season.

4. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    an idea, regarding young relatively untested managers...Marco Van Basten, Laudrap, johnny Foreigner, et al...How about Alan Shearer? Just a thought. He has the potential, the maturity and the guts...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7297873.stm

5. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    IIRC Kenyon just gave the "we have full confidence in Jose speech"

he just changed out the names

6. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    never really managed before though has he mate

same problem that Vialli went through

different being a good player who can lead on the field than being a strong manager who can lead in the dressing room.

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, maybe they should have a notice pre-printed.

'We can assure the fans and the footballing public at large that we have complete faith in [fill in name here] and the idea of sacking [fill in name here] has never crossed our mind. There is not one jot or scintilla in the truth that we have approached [fill in other name here] to take over [fill in name here]'s job and any suggestion that we have is as outrageous as it is scurrilous'.

That about covers it :D

8. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  10. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Had to Andy. My only doubt with Laudrup (Hilarious, I can spell Klaas-Jan Huntelaar without looking it up but I struggle with Laudrup of all names) is that he's only managed a club in Denmark and currently managing Getafe in Spain. He's doing quite well with them to be honest, semi-final in the UEFA Cup (He's up against Bayern and I think they're screwed with that force though Bolton proved me wrong), 10th place in La Liga, and doing well in their domestic cup. Don't get me wrong about the UEFA Cup Jose got managed that way too before his CL run.

The problem is with players like Laudrup, players who were incredibly talented is that if they go into management with the expectations that they;ll do well because they were talented as players but 98% of the time they fail. Look at Ferguson, Wenger, even Mourinho. They weren't notable players and look at how they're doing.

My only questions if Laudrup is a possibility are these:

1. Can he handle the egos?

2. Can he handle the chaos that is the Prem?

3. Can he handle the crazed British media? Although he's dealing with Spanish media....

4. Can he win at mind games? That's one of the many things we liked about Jose, he drove Ferguson and Wenger insane. And he did it with ease.

5. Can he win?

6. Is he willing to take the reigns?

I already stated who I want but if you were to ask me who I want as a definite choice I'd go with Deschamps. He's yet to hit 40 (Hits it on my birthday as a matter of fact), he's got experience managing egos, and he's been through the CL ropes.

But keep in mind, had Monaco won and not Porto; we would've seen Deschamps managing and not Mourinho.

11. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    I would like to throw another name into the hat, Didier Deschamps. I remember him as a hard nose player. I was hoping maybe he has the nerves to guide the Blues in tough situations.

12. Blue Celery

Blue Celery Member

Apr 13, 2007
    He's actually been in the hat for a while, but you're right. He could prove to work out.

13. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I've been preaching his benefits for ages on here...

14. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  15. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  16. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    bump.

Bitch and moan about Grant here please.

17. okocha1

okocha1 Member+

Nov 25, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    3-1 in the Mourinho Era was enough to win any game. For godsake, what scares me is the confidence Spurs had even when down 3-1. Aston Villa showed it as well. Nobody fears Chelsea.

18. slipereypete

slipereypete BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    the man is really beyond defense at this point, however painfully ironic that is.

19. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Agreed, hard to believe that just 3-4 years ago we had an attack that could put fear in any, ANY team. Now we have an attack where the only thing it could put fear in is in a child. And that's when we're trying.

20. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    We are sad.

21. slipereypete

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    The only fear that is out there, is that this just might cause us to go after a manager with a clue.

22. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    he would have to agree with everything Roman said of course....

23. slipereypete

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    kind of a obtuse take, imho.

24. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    well its working for Grant right now isnt it.

FFS- I'll tell Roman I will play Sheva just to get a crack at management as well.

25. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    keep in mind what happened to Andy DuFrame when he called Warden Norton obtuse....

thats right pete