The Avenging DisCo Godfather: The 2017 MLS Discipline Committee Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by doog, Mar 8, 2017.

1. doog

doog Member

Jun 11, 2006
    I've had this thread title in my back pocket for nearly a year now, now that there are DisCo rumors I can finally use it. So this is the thread where we talk about game incidents that deserve (and/or get) review by the disciplinary committee. Please leave the rivalries talk for other forums, etc, etc.

Starting us off in the new year is Jermaine Jones. According to Stuart Holden he's going to suspended for 1 game for what looked like a pretty nasty tackle against FC Dallas:

839334198959718400 is not a valid tweet id

Ismitje, sitruc and jayd8888 repped this.
  2. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that is an Orangish tackle. I also think that its a pretty low standard for retroactive red card punishment, however. If that is the standard the committee is going to be suspending people left and right. Since this is a league without a lot of depth I'm not thrilled about that. I also wonder about consistency. Will they have such a low standard in week 34? I sincerely doubt it.

3. AeroNaught

AeroNaught Member+

Atlanta United
    Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could also see Carmona from Atlanta getting an extra game for his stomp on Felipe (mind you stomp is a relative term and he sold the heck out of it, but it was still dumb what he did).

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're suggesting the DisCo is going to be consistent?
    [​IMG]

ElJefe, EvilTree, sitruc and 1 other person repped this.
  5. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JasonMa repped this.
  6. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    15 to 32, mbar and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  7. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    That's a horrible play. No chance for the ball, with 2 feet, just a pure attempt to injure.

8. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Sorry JasonMa, but didn't JJ get away with a few of these in the playoffs? And some diving.

I couldn't believe it at the time, though it's amazing how often he gets to skate away from his BS.

Of course fellow MLS professionals voted him among the most overrated players in the league, and the dirtiest. Did y'all read this comment?

"Jermaine Jones. He thinks he's bigger than what he is. I know that sometimes you get frustrated, but you can't get into personal stuff like 'I have money and you don't.'"

Yeah, I know he's wrapped himself in the flag, but can we stop capping him? Please?

SoccerMan94043 and butters59 repped this.
  9. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, as a galaxy fan, given the Jones and Romney decisions, given the terrible no contact yellow cards on van damn today (1st could've been dissent) will van damns second yellow get recinded and the Portland player get suspended?

Seems logical.

10. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I hope not (Van Damn has plenty of negative karma to make up), that would be the correct thing to do.

11. gstommylee

gstommylee Member+

Oct 3, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yellows aren't recindedable only straight reds.

12. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United

13. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you say so Toledo.

14. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Lol. Oh Baldy. You and your imagination.

15. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol at Toledo's explanation. Not surprised he wouldn't admit a mistake.

Putting that aside, to the previous posters points, it seems wrong that the DiscCom could take a yellow and turn to red on video evidence (Jones) but can't take a yellow and rescind it based on a dive (today).

16. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That seems a pattern from MLS' "experienced" referees. They're good at making stuff up. Salazar is a master at it.

17. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  18. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me this is the problem with the Romney suspension in week 1. It sends the message that you are going to punish divers (and to be fair, Romney was actually contacted). If you establish that benchmark, you need to follow through with it. To then just warn Chara and ignore the other guy's dive looks really weak on the part of the league. There was less (i.e. none) contact on the Portland dives than on Romney's.

To my knowledge Romney has no prior record so that shouldn't have been a consideration either.

19. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    You realize it's about the outcome of that dive right?

deuteronomy and Kejsare repped this.
  20. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess. The PK makes it bad. Playing shorthanded for 60 minutes is also bad.

I'd argue that the two Portland dives creating a red card and ruining the game for the Galaxy is worse. (dissent wouldn't have happened if Chara didn't dive and toledo's excuse on 2nd yellow is horse manure)

jayd8888 and TheLostUniversity repped this.
  21. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah, the outcome of both dives was a much more damaging 35th minute red card, then a penalty kick.

22. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Bad calls happen all the ********ing time. Dissent is on the player for being an ass and no one else.

Next you will tell me those Mexican refs shouldn't have gone on strike because they deserved the abuse they got.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the wong way for them to be looking at it then. The action, not the result, should be punished. A dive should be punished for being a dive, not because it got a PK call or a card. A bad tackle should be punished for being a bad tackle, not because it injured a player.

24. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Exactly it opens up the exact kind of second guessing that is happening right now...

25. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree with this. A dive at midfield in the 31st minute of a game is completely different than a dive in the 18-yard box and/or against a player that is on a yellow because the impact on the game is significantly different. I think of it the same as the difference between dragging down an attacker at midfield vs. dragging down an attacker at the top of the box when you're the last man. Both acts are the same with regards to the act itself (dragging down an attacker) and both are against the rules, but because of where they happen on the field, one is only a yellow card offense, while the other is a straight red. IMHO, a dive that is intended to draw a PK, or to get another player a second red is significantly worse than a dive to simply draw a foul because the diver knows that the benefit of them diving in that situation is greater.

scottw1055, Kejsare and asoc repped this.