The Asian Champions League Criteria Thread

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by druryfire, Aug 3, 2011.

1. MVP#3

MVP#3 Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    what does Jeddah mean ?

Saudia Arabia 4
    Iran 4 in the playoffs :D

UAE & China 3+1 playoff
    Qatar 2+2 playoff
    Australia 2+1 playoff
    Uzbekistan 1+2 playoff
    Thailand 1+1 playoff
    Singapore, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Jordan, India, will have a spot in the playoffs
    as for Kuwait, Oman, Bahrain, "they'll decide if there teams will be in playoffs or not in tomorrows meeting"

& concluded by naming the team representing them Al Fateh, Al Hilal, Al Shabab & Al Ittihad
    the article is from a Saudi newspaper + Japan and Korea were not mentioned maybe 4 spots in the group stage

2. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Its a city in Saudi Arabia.....

3. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    oh poor Iran, Are you joking?

4. MVP#3

MVP#3 Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    yes actually it said "Saudi Arabia and Iran are the only teams in west Asia with 4 spots in the group stage"

12 teams in the playoffs so far
    • Singapore
    • Hong Kong
    • Vietnam
    • Jordan
    • India
    • UAE
    • China
    • Australia
    • Uzbekistan x2
    • Qatar x2
    & still got Bahrain Kuwait & Oman not knowing if they'll be part of the tournament or not

just wondering did they mention anything about this in the-afc website ?

5. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
  6. MVP#3

MVP#3 Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
  7. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Looks like the AFC Cup is still going to be around next year, and will have a play-off stage.

Draws for ACL and AC group stage and play-off rounds take place on December 10.

8. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I thought that 2014 would be the same format as 2013 with any expansions, changes etc coming in for 2015. Of course, I could be wrong.

9. griffindinho_au

griffindinho_au Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    #334 griffindinho_au, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    Sweet. Melbourne Victory (my team) with be Australia's representative in the play off's :D.

10. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    why poor Iran? I don't get it.

11. GunningforMLS1993

Aug 28, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Can they better the performance of Brisbane Roar from last season? They can but it still stings.

12. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Those Thai clubs are no joke, and by Thai clubs I mean Muangthong United and Buriram United, it'll be pretty tough for any team to play against them in the playoff.

13. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    He said all o Iran's spots are play off spots

From Chinese media today:

The ACL will be divided to a western conference and a Eastern Conference, the grande Final will be two-leg matches between champions of each conference.

the play-off have three matchdays, Feb 1, Feb8 & 9, Feb 15

14. GunningforMLS1993

Aug 28, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Easily they are no joke. I watched plenty of United's games from 2013 to see that but the way Brisbane lost in the play-off... it was horrible to watch.

15. griffindinho_au

griffindinho_au Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Also that tie went against Brisbane, they should of had the home advantage but Suncorp stadium was already booked for another event. So they ended up agreeing to play it away at the Thunder Castle, in which they ended up losing on penalties. Yes i agree that Buriram United is a tricky opponent at home with their fans and those quick little nimble players.

16. nimaa

nimaa Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Nah, I don't think they're. It was poor choice of words on mvp's part. I had a bit of a heart attack for 2 secs when I read his comment, but then I thought no way.

17. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    OK, It had been confirmed by a famouse Chinese journalist that east asian teams and west asian teams won't meet until the Final and the knock-out stage will have different scheduling in different zone, so why bother to be in the same cofederation, just seperate the Arab Football Confederation to a Gulf Confederation and a West Pacific Confederation hahaa :rofl:

woorijim, artml and MVP#3 repped this.
  18. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
  19. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I find it a joke that the AFC are reverting to West/East all the way to the final. Might aswell have the final called a Super Cup and give out winners medals to the teams that come top of East / West. 3 years is a long time to do this. Competition is losing it's identity with this move.

I don't know what to think. The final will be a joke. Might aswell be against a nation from CONCACAF as their won't be any rivalries for 3 years for Asia.

Were going to have an ASEAN Super League that South East Asia will take as priority. EAFF will probably look to revive their A3 Championship again. They might aswell play football with each other rather than have to entertain ASEAN until a final show piece.

This call might just cause more harm than good for the AFC, but if anything, I do see upto the semi being competitive.

20. hoos

hoos Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Australia
    The WAFC will now propose an East/West format for World Cup qualifiers.

21. Angsa

Angsa Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    South China Morning Post

AFC champions league berth a step closer for Hong Kong teams
    Asian Football Confederation grants Kitchee and South China club licence for the region's top-tier competition

Chan Kin-wa

Hong Kong's hopes of playing in the Asian Champions League (ACL) moved a step closer after both South China and Kitchee each obtained a club licence for the region's top tier competition.

It is believed the Asian Football Confederation's competition committee has proposed one team from Hong Kong will be eligible for the 2014 ACL qualifying round. South China are preferred over Kitchee because they are the defending champions.

Hong Kong cannot enter the ACL main draw because its league competition has yet to reach the standard set by the regional governing body. Only Japan, South Korea, China, Thailand and Australia have direct entry in the top-tier contest.

The AFC sent a team to Hong Kong in late August to evaluate the application from South China and Kitchee for a club licence. The standard of Hong Kong's league contest was also looked at.

"We received the good news from the Hong Kong Football Association today, which has proved our hard work and effort over the past couple of years of raising the standard of club soccer in Hong Kong," said South China convenor Steven Lo Kit-sing.

"But whether we can play in the Champions League will not be known until [today] when the AFC executive committee officially announces all the participating teams. If we can join the ACL competition, it will be a major step forward for both the club and Hong Kong soccer."

The AFC is keen to expand the ACL as it plans to remove the existing AFC Cup, the second-tier competition, in the future due to an undesirable attendance record.

22. Champagne14

Champagne14 New Member

Nov 21, 2011
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    Latest update:
    2014 AFC champion league (East)

Japan 4
    South Korea 4
    China 3+1 playoff
    Australia 2+1 playoff
    Thailand 1+2 playoff
    Hong Kong, Vietnam, and Singapore 1 playoff each

23. mdhm

mdhm Member

Southern District FC
    Hong Kong
    Nov 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Hong Kong
    The Chairman of South China AA Mr. Steven Lo reported that at least 7 teams will be competed in 2014 ACL play-off for the 2 spots in East Asia: Hong Kong 1 (South China AA), China 1, Australia 1, Singapore 1, Vietnam 1, Thailand 2. There may be another team will play in east zone from Central Asia (India/Uzbekistan?) or West Asia.

Also, the play-off losers will have a chance to play in 2014 AFC Cup.

24. Blastow

Blastow Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Why Malaysia and Indonesia were not allowed? I understand in the West, too, Iraq will not accept involved. Offer about 23 associations remained just a suggestion?

25. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    Why is Iraq not allowed?