Pre-match: The artists formerly known as TFC v. D.C. United

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DecadeOfDCU26, Jun 12, 2018.

1. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who: Toronto F.C. v. D.C. United
    What: MLS
    When: Wednesday, 8:00
    Where: BMO Field
    Why: Some combination of MLS and DCU thought it was best to lower our chances in this match so Toronto could lose in the CCL

Outlook: TFC in poor form, we're coming off a terrible loss in Seattle. TFC win 3-0. The Seattle result really crushed me and any optimism I had left. Is Russell Canouse alive?

As last time, let's keep this about the match. Enough off the field bitching in the other threads.

2. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TFC 9 DCU 0

bigredfutbol and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  3. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will be a blowout

DCU 2
    TFC 4

... but it won't actually be as close as the score.

He turned 23 yesterday - I wish he was more healthy.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  4. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Canada is polite but won't be pushed around. TFC 5, DCU 0. When someone pisses off an entire country someone has to pay. Ovechkin shows up shitfaced, runs across field with Stanley Cup, DC United mentioned for first time ever in 120,000 news outlets world wide who refer to them as THE United. It's all about the match dude

5. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    BMO stands for Bowel Movement Overload, right? Good name for a stadium.

Winoman repped this.
  6. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you ever contribute anything or post anything of relevance and not these geriatric ramblings of a senile old man clogging up every thread, I might give a shit about your criticisms of my match threads

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  7. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhh so incisive. Criticizing your match threads and laughing at you are 2 different things Pollyanna. And if I was senile I'd think you were clever

8. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Laughing at me for wanting to keep a match thread about the match? Calling me an optimist as an insult? :laugh::laugh::laugh:. Please just go find something else to do with all the time on your hands and let those of us that actually have an interest in the team do so without needing to weed through your stupid ass posts.

DCUSKINS and JayRockers! repped this.
  9. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somehow I feel dissed. I'm sure I am more senile than NicktheGreek. Could we have a competition? Could Ms. Hedbal be the judge? (BTW, I, too, expect a loss, but not of epic proportions.)

dadman repped this.
  10. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    #10 Eastern Bear, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    This is a tricky game and an example of a broken clock being right twice a year. Olsen's bunker and counter is actually the right move for a squad like Toronto. If you try to camp in their end, you're asking for trouble. They will counter you to death. Assuming we see the same 4-3-3 Toronto trotted out against Philly.

A low block with Mattocks relaxing around the center line is the only way to beat those guys if you're DCU. I hope we keep Acosta wide (and up field) as well -- if he starts. This is also game where I can see Olsen benching Stieber, but I would actually bench Acosta because he does not take care of the ball deep in his own half. Our playmaker has to be Arriola. He has terrific acceleration with the ball and makes very good decisions. A low block with a compact defense just isn't Acosta's thing. You could actually bring him on for Mattocks after he's gassed at the 60th minute. I'd tell our fullbacks to stay pretty narrow, even in attack. If you can invert them you can actually outnumber Toronto in the center of the field and hold possession long enough to try and catch a dashing winger who could cross into Mattocks for a miracle goal.

---- Mattocks (no high press -- just chase balls and hold up play until your midfield can support you. Keep the Toronto backline from camping in our half)
    Asad ---- Arriola ---- Stieber
    ------Durkin----Moreno (I'd actually do DeLeon here if he was healthy. Workrate!!!)
    Typical back four.

I would try to keep our defensive line above the 18 so our central midfield of Arriola, Durkin, and Moreno are going to have to press hard once the ball gets 10 yards away from the box. Stieber, Asad, and the fullbacks will have to crash down as well. That may expose us to crosses, but that's why Asad and Stieber will have to stay deep and wide. It will be like watching USA vs Czechoslovakia in Italia '90 if we can't keep our concentration.

Also, TFC's fullback's push up so much that they essentially play a 2-5-3 when they have the ball. If Asad and Stieber can balance their defensive responsibilities we can counter pretty nicely if we can clear the ball to the appropriate flank. Definitely need speed and stamina on the wings and at striker for this match.

dadman, Rick77, John L and 2 others repped this.
  11. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    We tend to not take our selves so seriously as time goes by. The little kiddies have such a high regard for themselves.

12. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Very good. I would add that playing Durkin is key to this strategy. When TFC push their outside backs up, as you note they are playing 2 in the back. Durkin can place a long ball very well to a breaking Mattocks and/or a supporting Arriola. If DCU scores, it will come on that type of play. In other words, since this is Toronto, DCU will play "dump and chase" soccer.

Winoman repped this.
  13. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't seen much of TFC this year, but I've read their backline has been decimated by injury (which is why Bradley has been playing back there). Did this cause them to switch out of their 3/5 back set? I thought that's what they played.

14. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I wrote that diatribe in increments through the day so some of the thoughts are jumbled. I meant to say a clock is right twice a day. I can also see Segura starting on the right wing as well if he's healthy. Too bad we cannot play Durkin and Canouse together behind Arriola.

GumbyG repped this.
  15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I had already subscribed to this thread and was going through multiple threads on BS yet I was still genuinely surprised to see this game on the television guide when going through channels.

16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    O Canadia...

Decent build up and possession leading to that goal.

I don't know if Acosta really played that for Asad or if it was behind Mattocks

morange92 repped this.
  17. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow that was actually impressive football.

Dizi and Winoman repped this.
  18. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Maybe our prettiest goal of the season. And it embarrassed Bradley early on, so five stars.

EDIT: Gong to need Fischer to be faster on the ball, though. Such slow decision-making.

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    No penalties and United answers on a great counter

Winoman repped this.
  20. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    WHERE HAS THIS TEAM BEEN

Dizi and Winoman repped this.
  21. Wyrm2

Wyrm2 Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who are these players and what did they do with DC United?

1st Goal may have been the best sequence all year, and the second one was an aggressive (albeit slow developing) counterattack with a clinical finish.

Toronto looks pretty bad, but if United were consistently playing like this they'd have more than 9 points so far.

Dizi, sitruc, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  22. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    where did these guys come from? obviously TFC has struggled this year, but wow.

23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Toronto is horrible.

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I never paid attention to the Sun inexplicably setting in the northwest just for the lens flare in the ticket promo.

25. Wyrm2

Wyrm2 Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. But in theory so are we, and we look like some soccer machine out there. Toronto seems incapable of dealing with our pressure. Some of those turnovers have been dreadful. I love that the goals have come in different ways... a passing goal, a counter, and a sloppy goal off of pressure. It gives me hope that maybe we can score more than we have been against better teams. (I'm sort of feeling my bet on TFC to win the MLS Cup is probably not gonna cash)

I also love that Ben's halftime comments boiled down to "we played well, let's see if we can do it for the entire game."