The Arsenal v. MANchester United Regional Establishment, Saturday December 2 2017, 1730 GMT

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by mebeSajid, Nov 30, 2017.

1. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Was going to respond to Rewinder, but for everyone here:

1. Hurts to lose this game. Hurts to lose a game, generally. Hurts a little bit less when you play well, but hurts like hell when you play really well and lose. Especially when it's self-inflicted. This, not sure where it falls on the levels of losing scale.

2. This was the best attacking performance anyone has ever had against a Jose Mourinho team in England. Jose builds his defenses around preventing shots. We tore them to shreds. If we play like this every week, I'm optimistic about where we'll end up.

casoccerdad47 and Super Llama repped this.
  2. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I’d expect most GKs in the league to make those saves. If I were Mourinho that’s exactly the game I was expecting to play out, and have seen many times before. 3-1 was fully deserved based on what we put out there, and short of having a better manager or better team, you couldn’t expect much more from us.

3. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Please find games where Mourinho teams allowed more than 10 shots total. We had 33. Mourinho teams go entire quarters without allowing that many.

4. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Here's a flowchart for you:

1. Are you a professional athlete?

2. No.

3. Don't presume you know how athletes should feel at any time.

Also an addendum: don't prescribe emotions to anyone but yourself.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. But by that logic Bellerin should've been frowning also, no? Or Monreal, who didn't seem to make any big gaffes, should've had less of a frown?

The post-match reactions of just four players is too small a sample size to make those kind of comparisons.

But my point was that all 11 of our players should be quite pissed off, immediately after that match.

IOW I think all of our squad has to hate to lose more than we do. In order to raise our level, and challenge for a title.

P.s. We did play well, entertain well. But that's not good enough. We totally failed in clinical finishing of close range goals. (even factoring in a world-class goalie who was on his game) We also failed defensively by committing too many schoolboy mistakes.

Sleepy Spaceman repped this.
  6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah those guys are here for a pay check

I would be laughing g I. Amazement too

7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah those guys are here for a pay check

I would be laughing in Amazement too

Remember these players are not arsenal fans

NorthBank repped this.
  8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By and large the greatest athletes of all time really really hate to lose. Do you disagree?

9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think when you go in the air, you're responsible for where you land, and landing on the back of someone's knee is a pretty bad place to land.

10. banco

banco Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    All that matters is 1-90; Ozil was arguably our best player today and Kos was probably the worst.

Serengeti_Boy and Super Llama repped this.
  11. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    937049913829089280 is not a valid tweet id

DaPrince84 repped this.
  12. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You'd feel better about Ozil and Bellerin if they did a little pout for you? Want them to sing and dance and do a little performative cry? These guys don't owe you shit.

And also, yes, I do disagree with that. That may have been true in the old days but sports performance and sports psychology thinking nowadays puts an emphasis on being process-oriented rather than results-oriented. This is an example of good process yielding bad results. If we play like this the rest of the year we would get second place in the league. It would be actually be better for the psychological well being and future success of our team if our players are happy with the process rather than being disappointed at the result.

13. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This, but now that I’ve had time to think about it: we didn’t do anything until United went 2-0 up, Mustafi went off, and we changed formations.

I don’t know if we would have been this dominant if the score hadn’t been what it was. We had one shot before United went 2-0 up, but produced THAT display essentially on the fly after changing formations. How does that happen?

Given that, I think my takeaway from this game is that there was some fatigue at the beginning because this was the first time this season we played two games in a week, that if we play like this every game we’ll be ok, that we need to cut out the mistakes, and that we can’t get a call. Hasn’t that been the takeaway from the last three months?

José should probably be worried after this game. Defend like that against City and they might break the scoreboard.

14. SaratogaGooner

Nov 23, 2009
    Clifton Park NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a very difficult pill to swallow. We created and created and created like we haven't seen in a long time and couldn't finish the job. The opponent went down a man and we still couldn't finish. A penalty on us not called which in all likelihood would have brought us back to within one goal of tying. The opponents keeper has the performance of the year.
    The stars were aligned for us not to win this match. I don't know what the JM curse is but its real (at least for Arsenal). Today was great and sucked all at once.

15. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    @NorthBank believes every football media cliche. He is not an original or critical thinker.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  16. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is harsh

North bank is just old school

mebeSajid, thebigman and NorthBank repped this.
  17. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure that is true.... but after game expressions do not mean that they didn’t want to Win
    LeBron got ripped apart after losing to dubs first time around after he said something to the effect that it’s just basketball and family is more important in his post game presser
    Do you honestly think that he did not completely “ball out” and settled for loss?

One good thing ... player gave a shit today and outplayed Man U.... they just couldn’t finish and quite frankly Man U had a horseshoe up their ass for a couple of minutes

Super Llama repped this.
  18. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There is nothing old school about judging whether athletes care or not based off 3 second clips after a match.

You watch players fight and battle for 90 minutes but then say they do or don't care on a 3 second post match clip.

You have to call a spade a spade.

mebeSajid repped this.
  19. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    LMAO I wake up every morning and thank God first thing that we have Ozil on our team and not you

Shen-O, mebeSajid and DaPrince84 repped this.
  20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah the usual Internet lynch mob. Led by their bully in chief. Reminds me so much of certain people who work in DC these days. Sadly these people just never change their intolerant ways.

Shen-O repped this.
  21. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If the argument is whether we should change formations and not play three at the back anymore, I'm in agreement that we should bin three at the back and that we've looked immensely better offensively when we have done this over the past year.

Three at the back was literally derived from Arsene trying to keep his job and it's mostly a terrible fit for our team right now

And while I mostly agree with you that things are better than they appeared at the beginning of the season, we're still probably the fifth best team in the PL and that's unacceptable.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  22. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Listen dude, I very intentionally didn't go after you as a specific poster in this case, and I'm trying to make a conscious effort to not do that going forward. Having said that, I will take this lazy connection to me and Trump/GOP/Dems (based on whoever you support) as a concession of the specific point I was arguing.

DaPrince84, mebeSajid and danielh repped this.
  23. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You are not a victim. Stop it.

You love saying inane stuff and then hate when someone tells you said something inane.

mebeSajid repped this.
  24. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Comparing people that disagree with you with the Donald is already a low blow. Comparing people of color with a known white supremacist is so beyond ignorant.

There are like 9000 reasons why someone would smile after a match. These people are professionals that play a game with other professionals. After the game you say hi, how're you doing, nice to see you.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  25. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's basically because doesn't have 2 elite centre backs and a top line

I'd prefer Arsenal to play 3CMs and have the fullbacks play with more nouse (like City) but Wumger does love to have his FBs over commit

thebigman repped this.