The Arsenal v. Manchester City

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by mebeSajid, Mar 29, 2017.

1. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    To whom it may concern,

It is with great regret that I inform you that Arsenal FC will be playing a football match against Manche$ter City FC, on 2 April 2017. This match shall be played at Arsenal FC's home of Wenger Out Stadium, though some also refer to it as the Emirates Stadium, and also occasionally Ashburton Grove. This match shall be played at 1600 BST, also known as 11:00 AM Eastern Time, 10:00 Central Time, and WHY WOULD YOU WAKE UP FOR THIS Pacific Time. Booing is expected to commence no later than 45 minutes after kickoff.

Sincerely,
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Thread Starter

Val1, daedalus, danielh and 7 others repped this.
  2. gunner0007

gunner0007 Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    Bahamas
    Should we predict lineups? There is no lineup that I 'hope' for. There is no lineup to me that has looked good recently. The only thing that I have looked forward to lately is seeing what kind of body language and mood Ozil and Sanchez has be in because maybe in some way that would help me to determine if they are staying or not. Now isn't that desperation?

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    One and done for u mebe

mebeSajid repped this.
  4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno.

Call me old fashioned, but I go into every single Arsenal match with the hope and the belief that we can win it. As I will this time.

Now if we're 0-3 down at HT then that hope & belief will be heading for the window.

p.s. I'm far from a Pep fanboy so anytime someone imposes a little humility on him, I'm good.

5. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Why do you think I created this?

thebigman repped this.
  6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Like a tinder date

Smash n dash
    Hit n quit
    ******** n buck

7. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is gonna suck. Ozil will probably become sick or get some injury by Sunday.

8. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In a parallel universe somewhere, Wenger will change to a 4141 or 433 and boss the midfield.

But we don't know if parallel universes exist, and in this universe he'll play the same formation as normal and Ozil to boot. Though I reckon he'll play Giroud, and with their shitty defence and weak structure it could work if we get good crosses in. I don't see why we cannot win this, or get a draw, i'd rather play City than even Spurs or United, or Chelsea at this point. Pochettino would try some new formation to ******** around with us, and we'll sneak a draw. Jose would park the bus and we'd draw or lose from a late goal by Rooney or Rashford or something. And Chelsea would either rough us up or bully our defence and score. City and Arsenal have similar issues, and similar strengths/weaknesses, so it would be a more even game.

either 2-2 draw or a 2-1 Arsenal win.

9. GunneRy

GunneRy Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Blech.

I suspect the board is hoping for a big win so that they can drop the "Wenger's re-signed for 2 more years!" news without looking totally tone deaf.

I'll go with Darc and say 2-2 in an ugly, disappointing day.

10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly I can't remember the last time Ozil played well for us, or was majorly impactful in a match. It feels like more than 2-3 months, but perhaps I'm wrong. In any case, you get the point.

11. IAH-Gooner

IAH-Gooner Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Houston
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice one Mebesajid!

Is this going to be another lackluster performace? Or is Arsenal going to make that final push to sneak into the top 4 by the end of the season?

To be honest, I haven't missed having any Arsenal matches for the last 2 weeks. I haven't watched any soccer during the international break.

I'm with Northbank though. I am always hopeful for Arsenal to show up and get a great win.

12. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #12 The Foo Fighter, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    So there's rumors going around, from Perry Groves and some others, that several ex-players are set to join the coaching staff.

The big rumor is that Viera is set to join as an assistant, and that Bergkamp is on the shortlist for taking over Jonkers position in the youth academy.

darcgun repped this.
  13. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last gasps of a failing regime

Fifty repped this.
  14. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I actually think this is a promising development...Not because any of those players are good coaches AFAIK, but it shows that, if he stays, Wenger is actually changing course on preciously not wanting former players potentially usurping his singular status at the club...especially when they're big personalities.

15. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't disagree more. If Wenger was actually interested in changing the product on the field he would be hiring people we've never heard of. I know that he's not interested in that because the last time he 'revolutionized' the club he brought in Forsythe and Jonker and nothing changed.

I'd agree that nether PV or DB has shown any real skill at managing/coaching. PV is basically a publicity stunt for NYCFC. DB may turn out to be a good coach but his flying issue basically negates any value as a manager. I also don't think that Ajax has been either a tactical innovator or a player development hotspot since he's been there.

If there was any real ambition Wenger wouldn't be doing this. This is a kid running back in the house for his security blanket. It's pathetic.

Val1, ArsenalJake and Fifty repped this.
  16. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is so so spot on.

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just heard Groves mention Viera on Arsecast. Sounds like he's talking out of his arse.

I can think of a few reasons why Paddy wouldn't be coming to us right now.

Same goes for Dennis.

18. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wait...both Forsyth and Jonker were "people we've never heard of," and by your own admission, nothing changed. So we've already done that.

I'm not advocating for former players or not, I'm just saying that regardless of quality, him hiring former players would actually be a change in his hiring policy. The only former players he has kept on a job at the club are Bould and...maybe Pires? Regardless of their coaching quality, he has had an aversion to hiring former players. Him being open to trying new things is a good sign.

19. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wenger out. Go Heels!

20. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    PR...it's how we move and operate. Like how they got Henry back a few years ago to quell the fans post-8-2 at United.

21. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Has to be Xhaka and Elneny as the two in the middle and Sanchez up front. Ozil at 10 if he's fit. The back four picks itself so only the wide players to make a decision on. Walcott and Welbeck there for me.

Still think Wenger should go at the end of the season. After reading so many times that he wants intelligent players who can work out what needs to be done on the pitch for themselves, it's blatantly obvious that this lot don't have that intelligence. They need structure and intensive coaching. With that there's enough talent there to have a good strong team.

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal XI: Ospina, Bellerin, Mustafi, Koscielny, Monreal, Coquelin, Xhaka, Walcott, Ozil, Alexis, Welbeck

I'm strangely optimistic about Danny up front. I think he might still feel like he has something to prove

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal substitutes: Martinez, Gabriel, Gibbs, Elneny, Maitland-Niles, Iwobi, Giroud

24. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ox and Ramsey somehow picked up knocks.

As far as GK goes, I'm not gonna lie. I would rather give Martinez the game than Ospina. Ospina is good for 1 absolutely disastrous blunder per big game.

25. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is an anxiety inducing lineup