The Arsenal @ Swansea City [R]: Tuesday, January 30th 19:45 GMT

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by The Foo Fighter, Jan 29, 2018.

1. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

The Arsenal @ Swansea City

Where:
    Liberty Stadium
    When: 1945 GMT (2:45 EST)
    How to Watch: NBC Sports Gold (Bullshit)
    Position in the League: Almost 4th!

My Desired 11....

---------------------Laca-----------------
    Mhki------------------------------------Ozil
    ------------Wilshere---Ramsey---------
    ---------------------AMN------------------
    Kola--------------------------------Bellerin
    -------------Mustafi---Koz-----------------

2. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. IAH-Gooner

IAH-Gooner Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Houston
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My directtv guide is showing Huddersfield vs Liverpool on nbcsn.

I like that lineup. If Nacho is healthy, I would put him at left back though.

4. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wilshere-Ramsey-AMN? Surely you are joking?

I can see Ramsey-Xhaka-Wilshere against them but more likely, Ramsey-Xhaka-Nene.

5. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't I say it was MY desired lineup?...

Wenger has said AMN's future lies in a defensive/holding position. I'd like to see him there. That's it.

6. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see why...with there being 3 games tomorrow they don't just put Arsenal on CSNBC or something? Is the 145 on a tuesday scheduling that important there?

7. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be on NBC sports gold = highlights later at some point for me.

8. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many of you feel duped by this NBC Sports Gold bullshit???

Back in 2013, when I first came to Arsenal for good, NBC Sports Group used to advertise "every team, every match, every week" would be available through NBC, NBCSN (and maybe USA or CNBC) and Premier League Extra Time or NBC Sports LIVE/Live Extra, all free as long as you had NBCSN on your carrier (I have DISH).

But now, they have resorted to this bullshit they like to call "NBC Sports Gold", in which you not only have to pay for AND also have a TV carrier as well, in which you're already shelling out a ton of $$$ for. but also, you have to have a compatible smart TV or own either a Roku box, AmazonFireTV stick or Google Chromecast or some other bullshit like that.

NBC is really screwing us over, BIG-TIME, I have missed several matches this season that for the past 4 seasons (2013/14-2016/17) I had been able to view at least online on my PC/laptop/phone/tablet free through NBC Sports LIVE/Live Extra for free because I already have NBCSN on DISH.

This is the same bullshit that the WWE has been doing for the past few years by offering what used to be on PPV cable/satellite on their now infamous WWE Network, in which I have heard is not that good, rather than going through the pay-per-view route.

Well, I guess that I will (be forced to) skip this match and have to settle for watching the Arsenal live ticker on Arsenal.com.

Wolves_67 repped this.
  9. lynesjc

lynesjc Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jun 21, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Lots of plot lines for this one:
    • Trickier match than it would appear to be on paper.
    • Believe it or not, but if we're going to make any kind of run at top 4, this is a MUST win match.
    • HM debut? Assuming he plays on the RW, what will our formation be and where will Ozil play?
    • Will we ever see Kola actually play at LB in a back four?

fari repped this.
  10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm here to say that it DOES look like we're on GOLD streaming this week. I ponied up for Premier League Pass last month, and they send me weekly emails that list upcoming matches.

I'm not sure I've used it for a live match yet, so tomorrow should be my first And now that they've implemented the paywall, they damn well better be spending some of my money to make sure they provide a quality stream!

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am 100% with you in feeling pissed off about NBC's bait-and-switch. They went from the glorious "everything free", as long as your TV package includes NBCSN, to "pay an additional $40-50/yr" to free up a bunch of matches that they hold hostage on GOLD. (See some of my posts in the NBC/ESPN/BeIN threads if you wanna see my concerns about the future of streaming)

But at the same time, I'd like to help you rationalize this additional expense like I ended up doing, so that you don't miss watching the team you love. I held off for the first half of the season, even watched a match or two on dodgy pirate streams... which could've killed my computer just like it did yours during your Wolfie days ;)

Then a month ago I caved in. They had a $40 sale price and I bit. Yes, now that we're closing in on mid-table mediocrity (I don't really believe that BTW) we'll probably be on GOLD enough times to bring that cost down to <$10 per Arsenal match. :eek:

Yes that does still sound too steep! But that's when you might start to think about how important it is for you to watch most if not all of our matches... live and safely.

Or for some of us to compare $50/yr to how much we'd spend on food/drink at an Arsenal pub. Or for some others, how much their annual outlay is for new kits. ;)

YMMV

BIGHMW repped this.
  12. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't like the streaming. I'd happily pay the fee to get the channels, that way I could flip between matches and not have to deal with the technical difficulties that streams inevitably have. I hate watching sports on my laptop screen.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  13. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I hate watching sports on a small screen as well. I usually record Arsenal matches and you obviously can't do that streaming. Just do something like NFL/NHL/NBA tv packages.

BIGHMW and NorthBank repped this.
  14. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    For Arsenal fans in Northern California, Uverse has the game listed on a Spanish Channel. I haven't always gotten the game advertised on this channel, but frequently it is different from the game on NBCSN, so I'll have to wait for game time to find out if I can watch it.

15. lynesjc

lynesjc Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jun 21, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree with all the picture quality complaints of streaming and the lack of guaranteed on-demand replay playback. However, on the small screen issue, you might want to output your pc's video signal to your tv via hdmi or vga.

Also, does the Gold Pass playback through the regular NBC sports app, which is widely available on streaming devices like a Fire tv stick or a Roku? That would be another way to watch on your tv instead of a laptop or pc monitor.

BIGHMW repped this.
  16. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pro Tip:

Last time we were on Gold, I chose the goal zone stream and basically watched the entire game uninterrupted save for a few breaks when other teams scored.

17. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any spanish channels showing this nationally?

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sometimes do the HDMI cable from laptop to TV and it works well quality-wise, but the long cable is annoying, cumbersome and slows you down.

I've also tried Roku & Chromecast in the last month. They use different methods, but in the end, I returned both of them because the output image was cut off around the edges, which was basically a show-stopper for me. Apparently that was related to something called "overscan" which I tried disabling on my 4-yr-old Insignia TV, but in the end I just couldn't lick it. I suspect if I bought a new TV the problem would go away, but I don't want to do that.

However, I can absolutely confirm that Roku has apps for both the regular NBC Sports, and NBC Sports Gold. And other than my screen cut-off problem, these apps seem to work fine.

BIGHMW repped this.
  19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what are you saying, that the GZ stream is more reliable for some reason? Less drop-outs or freezes than with the dedicated match streams?

And you get the same British announcers as on the dedicated stream?

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, my guide says:
    * Universo is showing the same match as is on NBCSN namely LIV-HUD.
    * Unimas/Telefutura is not showing any EPL (I don't think they've got the rights)

21. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hope to find a stream for this one

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kanonier repped this.
  23. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    They changed it on me. Last night Univer-W program listings showed the Arsenal game at 11:40 today. After reading your post I double checked and this morning the program listings show the Liverpool game.

24. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was free.

25. lynesjc

lynesjc Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jun 21, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sometimes the source device has overscan settings as well, in addition to those on your display.

I know that, for example, the Amazon Fire tv stick does.

NorthBank repped this.