The Arsenal at our other house vs. Sp*rs: Premiership Matchday 27, 10 February 2018

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Tonerl, Feb 6, 2018.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To @The Jitty Sitter, and anyone else who was dissing Cech for his performance today, read on...

As I said during match, we were weak all over but GK was relative bright spot.

I just googled player ratings and literally the first 4 articles I read had Cech at the top of player ratings...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...Arsenal-Kane-continues-fine-derby-record.html

Cech 8; Bellerin 6, Mustafi 5, Koscielny 5, Monreal 6; Wilshere 7, Elneny 6 (Iwobi 65, 6), Xhaka 5 (Welbeck 86, 5); Ozil 6, Mkhitaryan 5 (Lacazette 65, 4), Aubameyang 5

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenham-1-0-arsenal-player-12002504

Petr Cech 7 – Plenty of decent saves but no chance with Harry Kane's opener.

Hector Bellerin 5 – Solid enough until allowed Davies to cross for Kane opener.

Shkodran Mustafi 6 – Held Arsenal together with strong and decisive defending first half.

Laurent Koscielny 5 – Frenchman was out-smarted and out-jumped by Kane for vital first goal.

Nacho Monreal 5 – A willing worker as always but always on the back foot.

Jack Wilshere 6 – Midfielder overrun at times but brought fine save from Lloris.

Mohamed Elneny 5 – Had a tough time trying to stem Spurs attacking flow.

Granit Xhaka 5 – Swiss midfielder struggled and offered Arsenal little going forward.

https://paininthearsenal.com/2018/02/10/arsenal-vs-tottenham-player-ratings-3/

Petr Cech
    GK, Arsenal
    Man of the Match.
    He was pretty much David Ospina with a helmet. Made some absolutely baffling decisions with the ball at his feet, but when it came to stopping shots, he was a titan. Made ten saves and kept this game from getting really out of hand.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/917139/Arsenal-player-ratings-Tottenham-sportgalleries

2. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if I’d give us a “best player” but if I had a gun to my head, Jack or Ozil. Although Ozil didn’t have a god game today.

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thing is with jack is at least he tries to start moves and pushes the ball quickly

I think he would be fine in a competent midfield

4. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    this is true for Ramsey and Xhaka as well.

Jack had a poor game too

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  5. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There is no such thing as a competent midfield with Xhaka in it

mebeSajid repped this.
  6. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    what if i told he completed the 2nd most passes of anyone on hte pitch today despite being subbed?

Or that he 2 tackles, 3 interceptions, and several clearances. (most on Arsenal)

This isnt a case to say Xhaka was good today, but that there were others around him who were less competent. Including Wilshere.

7. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This isn't true, but it is hard to see how he fits in a midfield with Ozil also playing centrally long term

mebeSajid and DaPrince84 repped this.
  8. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Problem with Xhaka is that he’s slow, switches off, is an inconsistent short passer, and isn’t always great positionally.

I’d be open to keeping Ramsey, but the rest of the midfield is useless.

9. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thoughts:

1) Alex Iwobi should be permanently attached to the bench. He was just horrid today. There are several better choices. Personally I would have left El Neny on. But if you needed a sub, Welbeck would have been a much better choice, with Wilshere pushing back next to Xhaka.

2) Monreal was invisible. When does Kolasinac get another run out? It felt like Bellerin was the only fullback on the pitch for much of the match.

3) Mustafi goes way too far forward way too often and leaves Kos and Cech to cover counterattacks on their own.

4) It's a mistake to ever move Ozil out of the CAM role. Pushing him to a wing to make room for Wilshere destroyed any chance Ozil had at linking play.
    If you want to play both Wilshere and Ozil put Wilwhere in the deep-lying role Ramsey played against Everton - next to Xhaka or El Neny. If you think El Neny will help with defensive cover next to Xhaka, which seemed to be the choice today, then leave Wilshere or Ozil on the bench.
    Danny Welbeck would have been a better choice on a wing. Or Auba, with Lacazette in the middle (though Lacazette was ridiculously bad at finishing today).
    Just don't play Ozil as an outside midfielder anymore. It completely takes him out of his game.

10. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    958466455040921601 is not a valid tweet id

958468969157005313 is not a valid tweet id

11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Remember that Xhaka was supposed to solve the problem of needing 3 players to do the work of 2

If the first half Ninny was doing critical defensive work that Xhaka doesn't do - but this "3" means Ozil and Mkhi aren't involved enough

12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The trouble is none of them can play together and 2 are always injured.

So I guess two of them need to go.

Xhaka isn't worth carrying in my opinion as he needs Javi Martinez or peak Schweini next to him - but if you had one of those guys, why play Xhaka?

I think a case could be made for keeping either of the other two as they can cover a lot of positions

But in my ideal team with elite 6 and 8 - none of these guys would start

The rumours around Max Meyer are really interesting. When you see Liverpool signing Kaita its clear Arsenal need to be winning the signature of one of the rising midfield stars if we hope to compete.

thebigman repped this.
  13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    you've been... Wumgerstruck

lynesjc and Fifty repped this.
  14. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ozil is CAM. That is set in stone. You have 2 CM behind him. One should be more defensively oriented. Xhaka, Ramsey & Jack can’t be the defensive CM. That mean you have 3 CMs trying to squeeze into 1 position. Honestly I think any would be fine with the right defensive cover. Between injuries and fixture congestion’s we should keep any two. But we need to make CDM (and CB) our top priorities bc we aren’t going anywhere until we get proper defensive cover for our other two CMs.

Coq was as close as we could get but his passing and touch weren’t good enough for a team with top 4 ambitions let alone winning the league. The Xhaka experiment needs to end and we need to ID the DM.

scott47a repped this.
  15. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are a much better team with Ramsey than with Wilshere.
    This really shouldn’t be up for discussion.
    Wilshere had one decent game as a 19 year old 7 years ago.

The days of our midfield terrorizing opponents is long gone. Yesterday Dier and Dembele put a foot in our ass
    Plain and simple

16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ramsey would of been worse as he bombs forward more

Wilshere is a better cm in certain regards where as Ramsey is a goal threat

Neither are cms u want in a middle 2 however for arsenal as we are shot defensively from front to back

lynesjc repped this.
  17. interacmilan

interacmilan New Member

Varzim
    Andorra
    Feb 3, 2018
  18. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wilshere is good on the ball, and his decisionmaking has improved, though he's a liability if we're outnumbered in midfield.

The biggest problem with a three of Xhaka, Elneny, and Wilshere is that it's really slow and has limited range.

We were better off playing a back three against Sperz and working the ball wide like we did at the Emirates. Miki on the left was an issue, but I wonder if part of the problem was that he was really narrow and didn't have a whole lot of support. A back three would have meant that Kolasinac or AMN would have provided him support.

19. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely not true. Jack has had more than 1 good game. Ramsey has had position issues. Are we forgetting the first few games this year where Ramsey completely abandoned the midfield to play forward and we were hit hard on the counter? Xhaka was bad but so was Ramsey. He also takes about 4-5 games to get back to his better form after each injury. And he has 1-2 of those a season.

The issue isn’t Ramsey vs. Wilshere. Its the support they get from the deeper midfielder. Both have had stretches of great play and both have had stretches of invisible play. But it’s not Ramsey as 100% better by any means.

thebigman repped this.
  20. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at stats with Ramsey in and Wilshere in
    Ramsey can do everything Wilshere does
    And score

21. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  22. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I dunno why you guys even watch until wenger and many of these players are moved on.

cantona94 repped this.
  23. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you DID notice a lack of posts from yours truly here, blame my management Len Enders for taking down my webmail account, which resulted in my privileges being suspended as Big Soccer had no way of contacting me due the e-mail's non-existance, I got it all fixed now, the address is back up and running so that's why I wasn't able to keep up with you guys yesterday morning on Derby Day.

As for the match itself, I couldn't believe how many time we were caught offside, I counted about a half a dozen I believe. As for the lack of offense, being offside so many times does not help the cause, and the Gunner Killer, Harry F'n' Kane, well WHO THE HELL LEFT HIM OPEN for an almost-free header that got by Petr Cech???

1-0 is till a loss but it could've been far worse.

24. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal is bigger than Wenger

25. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD