The Arsenal at Liverpool, Premier League Matchday 3, 24 August 2019

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Tonerl, Aug 20, 2019.

1. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. There's no managing or tactics that could overcome the vast difference between the two teams yesterday. In fact, we only scored when they brought on their ex-Arsenal player.

thebigman repped this.
  2. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Emery is a mediocre manager who has a talented squad. I see Arteta as a high risk high reward manager: people at the club think very highly of him, and it's pretty clear from watching City games that Guardiola gives him a fair amount of responsibility (with the caveat that I could be wrong here).

3. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Our squad is getting better with the caveat is there are few instinctive partnerships. Liverpool's penalty came from 3 players who knew what each other were going to do. That isn't just ability that is practice and time.

Even just getting the ball to Pepe was off, either wrong foot, behind him, on the wrong angle for what he wanted to do. Cebellos standing in the wrong position to get a pass, small things that give players the platform to look great.

ArsenalJake repped this.
  4. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really good points here but I'll take it a step further and point out that beyond Monreal, the next most veteran player in our starting XI yesterday (in terms of years playing for Arsenal) was Xhaka (played 2 full seasons), followed by Auba (played 1.5), Socratis, Leno, Douzi and AMN (played 1), and then Willock and the rest are new signings.

Not only did we lack instinctive partnerships, but our entire squad is just plain trying to figure out how to play together at this stage.

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I’d say he is a tier below the best but he did well I. Europe with Sevilla and Valencia he’s in his second year, I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt but I still have issues

I’m happy that we are playing a 433 but I don’t k ow why ceballos was playing advanced and xhaka over torreira as his legs have never been there

yossarian repped this.
  6. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Which is why I for the most part the first focus needs to be a flexible style of play that the team can make their own.

Xhaka is the clear man out in the midfield. Everyone else is mobile, he's not a good DM because he obsesses over the ball, and he isn't good on transition because he can only go one direction. He's pretty good if you expect to have a lot of the game infront of him. But I'm not sure if the game is at a place where you can be that dominant and have 3-4 players (the defence) out of the game.

The squad is better than a year ago, and I get that you don't get to horse trade on your own terms all the time. But, I'm a little vexxed by some of the players who don't match what I'm seeing strategically.

Shen-O repped this.
  7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The best team is surely

.........::laca
    Auba..........Pepe
    ....ceb...douzi
    .........torreira
    Tier..hold...sok...bell
    ............Leno

When fit

GunnerJacket repped this.
  8. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Emery went a whole season without winning away from home with Sevilla. We saw the same excessive caution last season which caused us to drop points repeatedly against bad teams (seven shots against Brighton comes to mind).

9. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would put Ozil in that lineup. When he’s motivated, he’s one of the best.

daedalus and GunnerJacket repped this.
  10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Offensive configuration will have options but the bottom line is that Arsenal's best lineups will feature a defense with Tierney, Holding, Sokratis, and Bellerin. Preferably with Torreira in front of them.

11. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love that everyone turned on Xhaka
    I was the original seed

thebigman and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  12. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It's not that Xhaka is fundamentally bad, it's that he's bad at the things he needs to be good at to mesh with all the other moves we have made. He's very good at the things he is good at. But I don't know if the team can handle two rash defenders in the team at once. Dropping Xhaka lets us play a third mobile midfielder, but would require buying one because I don't think we have the numbers in midfield to play the number of games we need to.

13. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For someone in his position, he has way too many limitations, which is what I was always saying. We wouldn’t be able to accommodate Pirlo correctly either, we don’t have the squad for such a specialized player.

14. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I thought he could work out in a balanced midfield but I think the arrival of LT showed this not to be the case.

He is half a player. Great passing range means he could play 8 or 6

But lack of mobility rules out 8 and he lacks the "carrick" type defensive sense to play 6

So best just to upgrade with a player who doesn't have so many drawbacks

15. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even his “great passing” is ehhh sometimes. He forces it vertically too quickly often, his teammate will have a marker on his back already and is unable to do anything but check the ball back to him.

He might look great on City’s squad but we can’t make up for his deficiencies here.

We missed out on Bennacer for 13-16m, whatever the fee was, and now he’s just going to die at Milan. Double bummer.

16. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Michael Carrick is one of the most underrated players of all time. I'd take him of Makalele for a DM

17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yeah - he was very decent - he could even play passably as centre half. That's the issue with Xhaka. He can't hold midfield. But can't play 8

IMO we spent too many years on bits and pieces midfielders who had some strong suits but no completely game. So glad to see the back of Wilshere, Ramsey, Ox, etc

18. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's very difficult to be world-class complementary midfielder. There are not a lot of players who always make the other guy better.

19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes. In fairness Wenger messed this up many years before when he decided not to sign Alonso. Exactly the once in a generation player who would have bought game control, passing range and positional discipline. Yes you need someone to hold his hand, but Alonso can actually play 6

daedalus repped this.
  20. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This, exactly. Speaking only for myself, I was excited about his arrival and certainly was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for the first two seasons as he integrated into the Prem and maybe didn't always have complementary players around him. But the league is just too fast and physical, and he's just not mobile enough to do what really need him to do.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  21. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    I never liked him, but I has told that he is elite in Europe! :p

Shen-O and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  22. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He has a good range of passing and shot but is immobile

Modern day football requires at least 2 super mobile cms

He would be ok in Italy or a deeper side that uses long balls

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could paste "Luiz" into your quote above. Maybe others on our team too.

If only we could get away from signing players like this. I wonder if we achieve UCL money at the end of this season if that would enable us to do better in this regard? I would surely hope so!

maskito repped this.
  24. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We’ve been told this is a good start

Tonerl repped this.
  25. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Xhaka doesn’t fit in the premier league. He is a really good player but his one footedness and lack of mobility hurts.

The issue is no one on our team has that passing range, or are proven.

Ceballos was effing dead very early in the match and that’s concerning.