The Arsenal at Liverpool, Premier League Matchday 3, 24 August 2019

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Tonerl, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Sleepy Spaceman

Sleepy Spaceman Member+

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  2. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Luiz now responsible for 3 of the 4 goals we've conceded this season. Great passer thou.

3. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have lots of problem. Emery is a big one. From selection to tactics, he’s not just good enough

4. banco

banco Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Emery sets up the team like a coward away from home, and doesn't even do that well. Imagine leaving one of your best players on the bench to play a style that is dependant on playing well defensively, when three of your first choice defenders are unavailable due to injury. Absolute clown show.

Serengeti_Boy, Shen-O and Super Llama repped this.
  5. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we bring on lacazette

6. Sleepy Spaceman

Sleepy Spaceman Member+

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Southampton put up a better fight than us. Even Norwich managed to at least score once.

Cannon repped this.
  7. SaratogaGooner

Nov 23, 2009
    Clifton Park NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but we beat Burnley!!!!! Totally outclassed on and off the pitch. Reality sucks. We aren't even close to their level. Pool moves through our midfield like a hot knife through butter. Really. boring. Arsenal. Shit performance in a big game. again. Oxlaide coming on. last laugh big time

8. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Why bother bringing Lacazette on now?

9. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    #83 casoccerdad47, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    He started three DMs, of course he intended to bunker. He's the new tinker man.

Cannon repped this.
  10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Liverpool are levels ahead of us

It’s City’s and Liverpool’s league. They are a different class.

Then Spurs, then everyone else.

Absolutely outclassed today and a few players were shown up.

11. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #85 footykid, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Pretty much. He set up the team to give us the best chance to score early.

Have to play the game infront of you. The whole game plan was to create 2v2 situations by pulling Liverpool deep into our half and turning turn overs into long passes that force the two CBs to converge or spread.

The management was sound. But, Liverpool are just better than us, and if you don't convert the plan, by scoring the goals you set up to score they will eventually get through.

In the end it was a headed goal from their spare CB that won the game.

My bigger problem is that we didn't come out for the second half ready to play. And, that there was no one on the pitch to make a plan when the old plan went to shit. Also. Xhaka can go, Iwobi would have been better in the engine room, at least he can turn with the ball in two directions.

AEAAFC96 repped this.
  12. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Emery raus

Shen-O, Tonerl and Super Llama repped this.
  13. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I'm there. A bunker and counter relies on your team scoring first. When you go down you have to adjust your tactics. He had the opportunity to do that at half time, but failed to do so.

14. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else hear the announcers say there is a clause in Emery's contract that allows Arsenal to walk away with no compensation to him this next summer? Wanna start placing bets on whether Emery is the coach next season?

15. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    It depends on where Arsenal goes from here. He tries to get too cute in big games. If Emery focuses on putting his best team on the field, I believe that with the new additions Arsenal have the quality to finish in the top four. Chelsea and United have shown they are beatable. But if he keeps changing tactics he could blow it, in which case he's gone. I hope we don't see the same tactics against Tottenham that we saw today.

16. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    WENGER BACK IN

17. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Elite hair in!

18. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “Rob Holding will be starter” still a crazy idea for some of you?

Luiz, don’t need to mention what happened today..
    And Sokratis, two handed pushing people.

Cmon..

19. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holding isn’t that good.

Ceballos was badly exposed today for the things that I had some reservations about after Burnley; surprised he hasn’t been mentioned.

It’s whatever. Didn’t expect anything from this match, but Emery didn’t do anything to improve his standing in my mind, either.

And now my watch has ended.

20. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This game was always going to be a longshot. More upset about the apparent stupidity of the goals conceded than the scoreline.

21. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We knock so many balls back into central dangerous areas for the opponent, I’m surprised its not punished more.

22. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if we limp into a top 4 finish because he keeps doing stupid shit like today? Would we make a change if a better manager were available despite finishing 4th? If so, who would you realistically target?

23. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Right now managers who used to be star players for the clubs they're managing aren't exactly setting the league on fire, but, I know I'm going to get flack for this, I'd take Arteta in a New York second. I have always liked him, I was a fan when he was at Everton. He was a smart player and he's learning from the best.

24. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I think Mertesacher and Koscielny worked as a CB pairing because Kos was an aggressive ball winner and Per was a stay at home reader of the game. Ever since Per's injury Arsenal have generally played with two aggressive ball winners. Kos, Mustafi, Gabriel, to some degree Sokratis, and now Luiz. I think Holding is more like Per and therefore less prone to mistakes.

BTW I concur on Ceballos. I thought we were diefying him a little early.

Shen-O repped this.
  25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I do not I dersta d why emery rates xhaka

Vs a press we are fcuked with him in the middle. He is slow and can’t tackle or read the game

We should of played the same team as last week but with torreira instead of willock and Pepe instead of mikhi

I want to like emery and I said they would win easily but at least try vs them. Stupid decisions from luiz on their 2nd and 3rd, not sure who was Marking Matip

Vs this level of a press, maybe even better than Barcelona’s of a few years ago due to the whole front 3 pressure speed, you have to go a bit longer

26. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Holding was excels t last year and comfortably better than what we have now (if luiz didn’t have brain farts he would be but you can’t trust him)

NorthBank and Shen-O repped this.