The Arsenal at Liverpool, Premier League Matchday 20, 29 December 2018

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Tonerl, Dec 27, 2018.

1. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if we finished 8th the club management would be apoplectic. I think that Kroenke and Co. wanted a CL place and told Emery that was his objective. They've proven that nothing matters more than reliable cash flow and Emery probably was brought in to bring the CL $$$ back.

2. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    1. Torreria (needs a rest though)
    2. PEA
    3. Lacazette
    4. Leno

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Don’t forget we have injuries and the banning of sokratis and mustafi seemed to halt our progress

Emery needs to show what he can do after a couple of windows, this squad should imo has over performed for a large part of the season (the last 3 or 4 games have been poor) and I’m not sure why we play a certain way and the poor subs etc

Let’s see what happens in January. I have more of an issue with ownership and spending than emery. He is not as bad as wenger who was consistently shit at making subs and refused to buy a player like torreira who has been mostly excellent

bandwagongooner repped this.
  4. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    I have said many times and a few times in this site that people don't realize how badly things are going to get if we don't have a good season. The knives already are out, and most people said during the summer that it would take a few seasons to get out of this mess. People have short memories. That doesn't mean that Emery is the answer, but it's not fair to change the script because the team overperformed for a few months.

5. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    Damn Bigman. I wouldn't have posted of I had read this first. Agreed.

thebigman repped this.
  6. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Fcuk the Klopp love in. You do remember that Klopp has had some really bad stretches in his tenure. He had a terrible December/January his first season, and the next December wasn’t much better. Even last season he had a slow start and was no where near the top 4 until December.

They’ve also spent over 500m to get this squad setup for him. This year pool passed us in wages as well.

7. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how you can start start Lich at RB, play AMN on the wing while starting Laca on the bench. Xhaka looked like a giant tree on the field and should have been taken off for guen at half time.
    I get the whole "Emery" needs a few years business, but Arsenal seem to be in a weird place. Presently they need what...a lb, some cbs, , a creative mid and wingers. Who do they have to build around? Auba is 29, Ozil is basically not on the team and is 30, Laca is 27, Kos is old and passed it, Sokratis is old, Mustafi is garbage, Ramsey is gone Do you build around Torreira? Xhaka?` Guen? Where will the money for all these signings come from? There's no one of value to sell and no cl money. Seems like once a hole gets filled another will pop open.

8. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody tell me which season was it during the last decade where we had all the pieces 1 thru 11 and everyone was in their prime and firing on all cylinders and the manager had it all figured out and yet we were just unlucky?

wanye_stirrear repped this.
  9. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a billion dollar rebuild to become contenders again.

10. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even just having a Torreira like player or a slightly better option to Giroud/Welbeck in 15/16 wins the title. But they only bought Cech.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I updated the above post, after today's result. Ouch. Same problem, only more pronounced. :(

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

And also to whomever said he needs a break, both physically & mentally. After holding off playing him post-WC, Emery's been riding him hard for 3 months. Understandable I guess considering how vital he became to us, but now it seems time to make the hard choice of taking him out.

Starting with Fulham.

But do I believe this will happen? Not much.

13. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Klopp love in? I don’t ******** with Klopp. I don’t think he an elite manager at all. He has a great squad that fits him but he gonna lose in CL to a better manager, again.

I’m just telling you what I saw from day one there versus currently with Emery. Emery has established nothing.

14. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I did say I would rather have lost to ManU than have lost Holding.

The squad is thread bare, exhausted and injured. Who knows how good the squad actually is, haven't seen it play in some time.

15. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I don't think anyone is happy with what we are seeing but some of us are realistic and won't judge Emery until he gets the chance to clean out the Wenger era. Klopp had a decent team its not like they had no one there and he still finished 8th. That Pool defense was much better than ours was.

Peps City didn't set the world on fire immediately either. Mourinhos United never took off. New managers need at least 4 transfer windows.

16. Manscum united

Manscum united Red Card

Liverpool FC
    San Marino
    Dec 23, 2018
    It really is amazing the amount of sh!t you read, I blame video games,every one is a football manager now

NorthBank and wanye_stirrear repped this.
  17. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fortnite is the worst.

Tonerl repped this.
  18. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    I quoted you, but didn’t mean to insinuate that you ******** with Klopp. You did say that he immediately pressed his style on the club. I don’t disagree, but without the club supporting him as they had done pool would be not much better than Everton right now. I think Emery has already pressed his style on the club—out work and out prepare your opponents; create a volatile game state and rely on the superior preparations, talent and fitness to get the results. The only points he’s dropped not to teams clearly better are Soton, palace, United, wolves and Brighton. None terrible and all but palace we were the better side and it just didn’t happen. I don’t think that’s a terrible first half of the season.

The thing pool (and city) has done which arsenal has neglected is to poach decent premier league players—Milner, Ox, Wijnaldum, Shaqiri, mane, VVD, Sturridge and even Salah had prem experience. They didn’t get those players cheap necessarily, but most are worth more now than they paid—some significantly. We’ve got miki who has been decent but no one else really. There literally is a dozen better CBs and fullbacks in the mid/lower table than mustafi, Leicsteiner and a crocked Kos and Monreal.

19. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought holding was improving before injury -not that it would have changed yesterday’s result but I like continuity in the spine of team
    Guardiola and klopp all had issues with cb ‘s In their first season

20. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's hard to hold anything against Unai when the team is so clearly not up to par. If the club management has prioritized a CL finish, then the club ownership needs to back that up with investment.

We have one of the best attacks in the league. Until recently I think we were second in goals scored? Might be mistaken. Our midfield is adequate, and our defense is trash. We arguably need a 200 million dollar cash injection into the team to make us competitive all over the pitch.

We could use a wide forward, midfielder or two, a then someone in about every position along the back line to either add depth or be a starter.

21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We need to either accept u can’t play two strikers or heavily invest to apply new players in a new system

If we go 442 we have to sell ozil and buy 2 wingers and cab and lb

If we go 343 we need an elite cb and lwb

If we keep the 433 we need 2 wingers a lb and cb

Emery is adaptable coach not obsessed with one formation so it is hard to predict

22. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    He does need to figure out what he wants to do and to stick with it. One way or the other. We are halfway through the season now. The criticism that the team has no identity is legit. He is becoming a little like the Tinkerman in that respect.

thebigman repped this.
  23. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is a pretty big insight. Even in Miki's case it was more or less thrust upon Arsenal to make weight in the Sanchez deal.

24. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #199 DaPrince84, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    I am not talking about Liverpool today. I’m talking about Liverpool when Klopp stepped in during 2015-16. He imposed his style right away. I am not seeing that with Emery.

And what you described as “his style,” sounds like Sean Dyche’s style.

I’m not convinced by him. And this didn’t happen the last few matches. That streak we had was a lot of smoke and mirrors which we are seeing now.

Nah, we currently have a better team than that Liverpool team Klopp inherited. Kolo Toure was starting at CB for them. Kolo wouldn’t make our reserve squad.

I keep asking what is it Emery is trying to implement here and no one seems to have an idea but “let him spend money so he can figure it out.” This club don’t have that money to let him do that. What is he trying to do so the club can supplement him.

This piece meal crap is what brought us to this point with this squad now.

25. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    We are the only of the big six to all but neglect our own domestic league. The only one we really got is Danny. Miki was pretty much forced on AW. The rest we picked up when they were super young or from the lower leagues.