The 'Arry Kewell Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Aussies Abroad' started by aussie_ascoli, Jun 16, 2006.

1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Re: Harry Kewell at Galatasaray [R]

http://www.smh.com.au/news/sport/fo...kewells-uk-home/2009/01/28/1232818529015.html

3. NoRightFoot

NoRightFoot Member

May 18, 2006
    Melbourne, at times.
    Club:
    Malmo FF
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Harry's English based Turkish brigade will see to it. :)

Guys, do the business

4. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia

Galatasary were beaten 5-2 on the weekend by a club coming second last. Result = coach was sacked. Hope this doesn't affect Harry's selection in the team or ability to get away to Socceroos games.

5. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney

i don't see any reason that a new manager wouldn't use a fit arry. he's been scoring goals surely thats good eneough reason to keep him playing.

6. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia

It should be a good enough reason but logic doesn't always come into selections.

In Harry's first game under this new manager he started on the bench this morning in a UEFA Cup tie against Bordeaux. He came on after about 20 minutes only because of an injury. He did score a goal in a 4-3 win.

7. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney

galatasaray seem to let in a lot of goals

8. nathanakata

nathanakata New Member

Mar 20, 2007
    MELBOURNE

ARRY'S LONG RANGE GOAL

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28RhRa-4pgM"]YouTube - Harry Kewell | Galatasaray - Bordeaux 2-1[/ame]

9. Iaco

Iaco Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Vintage Harry Kewell.

10. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney

nice stuff harry!

11. zakinator

zakinator New Member

Mar 14, 2008
    South Morang

Brilliant by Harry:D:D

12. Glory08

Glory08 Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Perth, Australia

And to help them win over Bordeax too, very nice. 8)

13. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston

brilliant, indeed.

14. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/aussies-abroad/kewell-rates-his-mates-176860/

15. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/aussies-abroad/kewell-excels-in-defensive-role-176993/

16. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Harry was great at centreback against Hamburg, his positioning was excellent.

17. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  18. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Harry scored in Galatasarays 4-1 Europa qualifier win over Maccabi Netanya.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqJSjj32GE4&feature=related"]YouTube - Maccabi Netanya - Galatasaray 1-4 UEFA Avrupa ücüncü Tur ücüncü Mac 30.07.2009[/ame]

19. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique

well taken goal. im hoping gala make a good run in the europa league with harry also helping gala win the turkish title

20. okoyel

okoyel New Member

Nov 7, 2005

So Galatasaray's new coach is legendary and ex-Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard. Galatasaray's two new major signing are Lyon's Abdul Keita and Manchester City's Elano.

No offense but with five attacking players cannot feature for Galatasaray, week in week out. That's Arda, Kewell, Baros, Elano and Keita. So one of them has to be benched and since Baros is the striker, it could possibly be Kewell.

On a side note, I was wondering that after one successful year with Kewell and GS... has there been a more positive outlook about the Turkish Super League amongst random Australians? Im asking this because I think the Australian football market has huge potential however no major teams around the world are trying to tap into it. I think the Turkish teams could however be the first to tap into the Australian market.

21. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

I think the Turkish clubs are already tapping into the Aussie market. There's been Skoko, 'Arry, Sterjovski, Carle, Djite, Troisi, Jedinak already been through or still in Turkey from memory.

Any other Aussies anyone else can recall?

22. Wezza

Wezza Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

So Kewell, who was their second top goal scorer last season should be benched? Not sure about that. It will go on whoever is playing better.

23. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

I don't think Kewell would be benched because he really isn't a true striker. Playing more down the wings as an attack player, more than anything. That type of versatility, including his weird penchant for being able to slot into defense comfortably if the shit hits the fan, really makes me think we won't be benched.

24. okoyel

okoyel New Member

Nov 7, 2005

Kewell started from the bench today in Galatasaray's 3-2 win. The game was amazing with both teams playing passing and attractive football. All I gotta say is that Keita played better than Kewell today.

Elano wasn't even in the squad today but in my opinion I think this will be Kewell's last season at Galatasaray. There is no talk about Kewell getting a contract extension. I personally think Kewell should sign one before the world cup and then getting sold on to another team.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndv9wHnAtEo"]Gaziantep 2-3 Galatasaray highlights[/ame]

By the way, im not trying to spam but if your interested in following Kewell's time in Istanbul closely then just read these forums... It's in English too.

25. Loyalty

Loyalty Member

Jun 25, 2006
    Australia

I agree with you in that it looks like Kewell will be spending a bit of time on the pine this year.

There have been a few different leagues that have grabbed Aussies in the past. Belgium was one about 10-15 years ago, obviously the English lower divisions to an extent, Dutch is a bigger one these days. Now we are in "Asia" there are a few East Asian clubs grabbing some Aussies.
    There have been a handful of Aust players go to Turkey but the cultural and language differences are big hurdles to cross.