The Aron Johannsson Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by USvsIRELAND, Apr 14, 2013.

1. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're all correct in pointing out that there is no evidence of Agudelo being a "bad locker room" guy. Allow me to choose my words a little more carefully. Agudelo, often, misses large stretches of time. Sometimes it's through injury. Often, it is not. He's healthy, he puts up numbers when he plays... but he doesn't see the field. And it can't just be Heaps being an idiot. It has to be something else that he's doing, or not doing. He may be saying/doing the right things the last few months, but he may be back in the doghouse in 2017.

Now, I'm trying to find the post, but @ussoccer97531 I think posted angrily that Heaps had commented on Agudelo's training habits as the reason behind him not seeing the field while NER were struggling. Even without that tidbit, Agudelo has had issues with his clubs for years now (sources: http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/pos...g-usmnt-call-i-can-t-express-how-excited-i-am , http://fusion.net/story/108399/juan-agudelo-mls-return/, http://grantland.com/the-triangle/usmnt-new-england-revolution-juan-agudelo-rebirth/).

I'll agree, it's a problem that he seemingly has overcome now as he's finally settled into NE again. Which is wonderful.

But for your most important game in the Hex, where you need to beat your strongest rival at home, I can see why JK would shy away from a guy who's finally putting it all together, in favor of a consummate veteran in a better league who makes no waves as a bench option.

I wouldn't mind him in there. He could easily take the place of Julian Green, Aron Gordon, or Stanko, and we could keep AJ. I wouldn't mind him being in there instead of AJ. But I think you play it safe against Mexico. And I can see why JK would leave him at home.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    What I was referring to was a quote from sometime in the last few months. I tried looking for it, but I was unable to find it. I notably remember it because I was reading it, and I was surprised that Heaps said it, considering what some say about Agudelo.

3. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good, I wasn't misremembering. How mad are you that Heaps is staying?

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He actually started wising up towards the end of the season. Wasn't enough at the end of the season, but he was very complimentary of Agudelo at the end of the season. I feel confident that Agudelo will be an every game starter from now on, which might not be able to be said under a different coach if a new coach comes in with new ideas, so I guess its not bad that he's staying on. Agudelo is going to need to score like 15-20 goals next season to get more than the odd call up. Klinsmann doesn't rate him, so he needs to be in contention for MVP or something like that to get a fair chance with the NT.

5. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should see him at Camp Cupcake, that'll boost his chances of getting into some WCQ camps. Then, hopefully he'll get the opportunities he needs to become part of the WC 23.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The bottom line is that:

Not even making the 18 in the BuLi > being one of the best strikers in MLS.

No wonder other coaches mock the league. Klinsi sets the example.

deuteronomy and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just wondering why his coach said he was unfit.

If Aronjo is healthy, which I asume he is, he should definitely be game fit by now.

He may be unfavored by his new club coach unfortunately.

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Did you see when he played after returning from hip surgery?

He was lethargic, out of synch, making the wrong runs, and getting upset because no one could read his mind.

I'd have benched him too.

9. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way he looked in the practice video, he seems to be back to his old self.

10. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heaps is from Duke. It makes perfectly good sense that he's an idiot.

11. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can get behind that.

12. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I am mad that Kraft is staying. Can't blame Heaps for the fact that nobody would play on a field covered with football lines, coffee stains and used condoms if they had choices.

13. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Johannsson: I won't get a chance at Werder Bremen

http://www.espnfc.com/story/3181251/aron-johannsson-i-wont-get-a-chance-at-werder-bremen