The Answers

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Huss, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Thanks to Don Garber for taking the time to answer those questions.

Now...

He makes the logical connection between LEVEL OF PLAY----MLS TEAMS IN INT'L COMPETITION---HISPANIC FANBASE as one of three major targetgroups.

It's right there in his responses--the level of play needs to increase so MLS can show what it's made of against Mexican League and Central American teams, which will in turn earn it more respect and followers among Hispanic fans.

Yet....

He punts on every question concerning bringing new talent into the league.
    First on the Beckham question (#4), then on the Valderrama, Donadoni question (#10), then on the general on-field talent question (#12).

On 4, he hides behind the Denmark-Norway part of the question and doesn't answer the other except in vagueries ("we review our team salary budget every year....")

On 10, he starts out with "This subject requires a delicate balance" and ends with "We'll keep you posted", hardly inspiring confidence that anything of significance will be done.

On 12, he bends the "on-field talent" question to "we must invest in the appropriate resources if we want to show improvement" and "our technical committee has generated some innovative ideas." Again, that hardly sounds like bringing in foreign talent (forget big-name stars, I mean more Christian Gomez type players), it sounds more like youth development or something.

---All in all, for those of us who believe the key to tapping into the Hispanic and Core constituencies (2 of his 3 main targets) is greatly improving the level of play on the field, these answers were hardly encouraging.

2. BobyOne

BobyOne Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We also got solid confirmation that CONCACAF Champions Cup and the new MFL/MLS Champions League are in fact two different tournaments. We also found out the the new MFL/MLS competition will happen in 2007 in a reduced format, with the "real" format in 2008.

Another issue that all of BigSoccer should notice is the amount of thought that the league has given to all the issues mentioned. There's a lot of attitude on these boards that "MLS is a bunch of idiots, how do they not see that [fill in the blank with your favorite issue]". In fact, there are smart people running this league and they are mostly aware of the league shortcomings, as evidenced by Mr. Garber's responses on the marketing, TV production, youth system, and other issues. I think that the reason changes don't often happen as fast as BigSoccer wants them is due to lack of money, lack of other resources, or general league approach of being conservative with their decisions. We should consider giving the league a bit more credit.

3. EREIAMJH

EREIAMJH Red Card

Jul 20, 2006
    In The Machine
    +1

I want to thank Commissioner Garber for answering these questions. Good work.

4. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
    I'm glad the players were allowed to give insight here. The more immediate the incentive to play hard, the better.

5. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you! Good post. My thanks to Don, as well. I'm definitely in for the long haul as well.

6. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, I'm currently watching the Twins play the A's in the playoffs. I'm sick and tired of teams like these just going out and outspending everybody on their way to the playoffs...

7. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice of the commish to respond to those questions...even the loaded ones. :rolleyes:

My favorite quote:

:eek:

Can we pose 20 questions to the execs at ABC/ESPN?

Q1: What were you smoking? :D

8. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Actually, the model (currently) used around the world is a big reason why (so many) leagues (and teams) are in financial difficulty.

9. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    As ideological in nature as those questions were, they weren't much but a trap for Garber. He answered them about as well as they could have been.

10. meeshak

meeshak New Member

Oct 6, 2006
    N. Burbs of Chitown
    That's good point. I haven't been following MLS for that long, but I can already tell that most of the griping that goes on is merely fans who are mad the league isn't the EPL or La Liga. This is a country where gridiron and baseball rule! Don't expect a perfect league overnight. We're lucky to have a competitive league in just 10 years. I mean, some of our teams have actually won matches against Mexican clubs that have been around for nigh a century. Be patient, I say, and we will see results (we already have).

11. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Honestly I thought Eric Wynalda was pretty good over the World Cup. He wasn't calling games, and it suited him much better. The pbp is where ESPN deservedly got the most criticism.

Also, you have to realize, he had to try and generate semi-intelligent discussion with some of the biggest nutjobs in the soccer universe - Georgio Chinaglia, Alexi Lalas, Brent Musberger, and Julie Foudy. Good luck there.

12. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but is the point of a league to make sure everyone's finances are in order or to provide a viable, exciting competition that people want to watch?

13. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yes.

14. vyertago

vyertago Member

Jun 8, 2006
    At first i read this and I thought you might be serious but now I'm not so sure...beacuse i know the A's are known for being the best run small baseball club in the country right now while the twins seem to be doing even poorer finanicially than the A's.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/33/Rank_1.html

Either way just thought i would point it out

15. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    That voros guy doesn't know anything about baseball. I'm sure he was serious. Revenue sharing in baseball is fairly significant now however, and the small markets aren't nearly as small as they were even 10 years ago. By some estimates, thanks to the luxury tax, the Royals made 20 million in profit last year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voros_McCracken

16. vyertago

vyertago Member

Jun 8, 2006
  17. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, thanks to Mr. Garber for responding. Hopefully now that BS and MLS have an official relationship this will be an ongoing conversation.

That said, the answer to this question is quite misleading I think.

D.C. hasn't been in the playoff chase for quite awhile. Anyone well ahead of 4th place in their conference hasn't either.

Plus, he mentions the NY-KC game on the final weekend as being huge. And it is, if advancing from the qualifying stage is huge. Even so, what he doesn't say is thanks to MLS, both NY and KC's games this weekend aren't all that important. If KC wins 99-0 and NY loses 99-0, the only thing that changes is that a draw is good enough for KC in the final game. If NY wins 1-0 and KC wins 999-0, a NY tie on the final day gets them in (they'll win the head to head tiebreaker).

18. CrazyF.C.

CrazyF.C. New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Washington D.C.
    You know.... what I don't think the don realizes (nor any of the marketers for that matter) is how you turn kids into life long fans. You would figure the league has been around for 11 years... the league has been catering to youth for 11 years. All these kids should be fans now, right? Well, they're not.. why? Because you're STILL MARKETING TO KIDS AND THEY'RE GROWN UP!!!

You don't get kids to like stuff by marketing it to them. You get kids to like stuff by marketing it to grown ups.

Think of cigarettes. How do they get long life customers? By putting people in face paint? no. By making it look like a cool, ADULT thing to do, because every teenager wants to be thought of as two things... cool and an adult.

It's just so ********ing frustrating and annnoying.

19. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    From a network point of view, Wynalda was exactly what they wanted; a loudmouth with no brain. Whatever he said did get some BS folks here talking.

20. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Put that in perspective, though. It's nothing like how badly the indoor game was marketed. Now those guys didn't give a shit about the adults. Take everything you don't like about the noisemakers and the jock rock and how the tickets were distributed etc etc and raise it to the tenth power. In Dallas, it was actually quite successful in its way, but still a dismal long term strategy whose doom was sealed when they got an outdoor team.

(Also, we don't really know how successful that tack has been in MLS's milder version. A 10-year old in 1996 is still only 20 today).

I do think you have a certain point here. 12 year olds aren't interested in anything as much as whatever the 16 year olds are doing, and so on.

21. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Agreed. Idiot, but entertaining idiot.

And reasonably professional on air. Didn't trip on his words, no Balboa monotone, etc.

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don rocks.

That is all.

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This brought you out of the woodwork, didn't it?

He didn't say they were marketing exclusively to youth, Brainiac.

And the St.Louis Steamers just spent the last two years marketing exclusively to adults, with the owner saying he didn't want any kids at the games.

Three things happened:
    1. Kids and families still went to games.
    2. Not appreciably more adults went, at least not in the young demo they were looking for.
    3. The team lost a boatload of money and is gone.

You can't choose your demographic. Your demographic chooses you.

Now go shut up and sit down.

24. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    What was funny to me is that comment came from DC, where I totally fail to see the problem. Our fans aren't dominated by teeny boppers (though there are plenty there, and there's nothing wrong with that), there's more than enough marketing to adult demographics, and more than enough not-appropriate-for-kids elements in the atmosphere.

25. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Why people are so anti Wynalda is beyond me.

I guess thats a good thing though, he evokes emotion.