The Americans Season 6 - FX

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Boandlkramer, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I had issues with Stan's sudden suspicions.
    I think everyone who has been following this show from season one will have known or at least strongly suspected that it would ultimately be Stan who discovers who they truly are.
    My problem with how it is handled is the fact that there is no real reason for Stan to be more suspicious now than he has been in previous years. By his own admission, he has noticed them coming and going at all hours of the day and night for years. So what about their current behavior is making him believe they might be something other than they claim to be? Just Philip's nervous behavior, which is perfectly explained by the possibility that the business he built with his wife for so many years might go bankrupt. This is more a case of Stan finding out because it's the right time in the show's run for him to find out.

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    There are three more episodes to go, I believe.

3. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    It could be just a matter of time and constant internalizing that finally broke the proverbial camel's back. He has been asking questions of both Paige and Matthew for a while now....sometimes it just clicks....think of how it happened on Breaking Bad.

Belgian guy repped this.
  4. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I wonder if the final has Philip passing on “Harvest’s” message to his parents? Well, at least his mom.

5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Haven't they just had a breakthrough with extra info on the 'illegals' and how they operate?

That's plausible I suppose.

6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Right, but what about that intel makes Elizabeth and Philip suddenly more likely candidates to be Illegals?

7. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    stan should be more concerned with his own house. there's no way his ladyfriend (is she his wife now?) is nothing more than that.

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Wow, I thought the film noir fan kid was toast. He was very naive, bordering on stupid, agreeing to meet with a woman he knew or at least suspected of being a spy.

I'm still not convinced that Stan's sudden suspicion of his neighbors and friends makes sense, but whatever.

I loved the scene where Elizabeth first couldn't bring herself to burn the painting but then changed her mind and did. It was a very Elizabeth moment. :)

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I suppose I can see, if they've become more aware of HOW embedded in the society these people are, you might start to look at people around you and wonder about them.

Y'know, you might start to ask questions about things you'd taken for granted.

One of the questions Stan wondered about was why someone who ran a travel agency were coming and going at all hours of the day and night. TBH you'd have thought that would have occurred to him before.

But also the pictures of the people they'd got... some of them weren't that far away from being a strong resemblance... of Elizabeth, at least.

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, that's an interesting one, isn't it.

As you say, her appearance out of the blue seems a bit odd. I think we're all assuming there's something fishy about her but we'll see,

11. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i loved this scene as well. when she decides to keep it and put it away, you feel good. she's growing as a human. she actually made a connection to this woman. and then... nope, burn it. burn it to hell. and then you love that as well, because elizabeth is hard as nails and you know there is no compromising.

also, i remember some of the best moments from early in this series were when elizabeth clashed with her handler (margo martindale, can't remember her character's name). the intensity between the two was great, and it looks like we may be getting that back.

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    IIRC she beat the crap out of her a couple of seasons ago, didn't she?

I have to say, I was surprised to see her say they shouldn't be taking out the fella they've been monitoring. I thought she was more of a 'I was only following orders' kinda gal.

I'm wondering if her and Philip will effectively sabotage that whole approach somehow.

It does seem strange that they would be happy to work against one particular faction when, back home, they're obviously split.

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's all kicking off :eek:

14. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Probably the best episode I’ve seen in over a season!

The topsy-turvy message is the beginning of the end.

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It kind of has to kick off now. There is only one episode left.

BTW, I also didn't buy Stan calling Pastor Tim. What reason would he have to believe that he would know anything about Elizabeth and Philip's true identity, even if they are really Illegals? There is no logical reason for the Pastor to have known their real purpose in the U.S. since the only reason he does know is Paige's confession.

16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, that last bit seems a bit odd to me too.

Also, why just him? Over the years they must have come into contact with several people who knew both of them.

And to ring him out of the blue several years later,... they said, although it doesn't seem that long to me.

Belgian guy repped this.
  17. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'm surprised Stan wants to tell Dennis about the Jennings over a beer/lunch/hallway. Wouldn't something this explosive require a more secret and formal setting?

Also, where are the Jennings planning to go now after they pick up Paige and presumably Henry? Surely USSR is off the list now.

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I guess they have an emergency exit plan, which Philip activated when he gave Elizabeth that code through the phone call.

BTW, I don't believe that they would have spent so much time on Chekov's cyanide capsule were it not going to be used. If not, that would end up being a very annoying red herring.

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh, they MUST have an exit plan. As you say, she obviously took his bland comment about being late back from 'work' as instruction, presumably,'for a course of action.

I'm guessing the plan is to meet at a specific place at some point.

The only thing is, having blown their relationship with the centre, how are they going to be extracted. Also, FT says, how is it going to work with Paige and, (even more), with Henry.

Henry can at least honestly say he has no knowledge of what's been going on but with Paige having a huge barney with her mother, how are they going to get her out.

20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think it was the code word "topsy-turvy" that basically means "We've been compromised and need to get out as soon as possible".

Naughtius Maximus and Boandlkramer repped this.
  21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It'll be interesting to see what Stan's other half does, too.

I'm just trying to remember when she first appeared. Was it when Philip first went awol from the work?

If so maybe she's part of a back-up plan to help Elizabeth.

22. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Only 1 left?

23. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Yeah. The final season is a shortened one compared to the other 5.
    Which is a shame, because unlike with season 5, I kind of feel they had enough material for at least another three more episodes.

24. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    90 minute finale. Looking forward to this finish as it's been a great show. Any predictions? Will there be a Stan-Jennings confrontation? Will the pill be used? Anyone die? Is Renee just Stan's wife or something more? Will Phillip wake up and say "jeez that was one crazy dream Renee".

25. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Someone will die...that's a given. And Stan would have to confront the Jennings, otherwise, all this suspicion BS was a waste of time. It would be cool if all 3 die and Renee is left as some master mind.