The Americans - season 5 - FX

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Belgian guy, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

So glad this is back!

So a few questions about the season 5 premiere:

- Who is the kid that Philip and Elizabeth are trying to get close to (or his dad by proxy) with the fake Vietnamese son?
    - Why did Elizabeth kill her South-African protégé right away? Just because he cut himself on the coffin they found William in does not mean he will automatically get infected. I did think he was a goner when that happened, but I thought they would at least wait for him to develop symptoms before they disposed of him.
    - On that note, how did they know exactly where William was buried on that compound?

2. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your first question, I think, was pretty well explained by episode 2. But as for the other two-- I think that Philip and Elizabeth doubt Hans's competency and composure. He proved himself to be committed but the whole fiasco of him having to kill the other South African because he [Hans] botched an operation is probably at play. Elizabeth clearly has a soft spot for Hans (he had a crush on her and all) but she doesn't trust that he won't screw the pooch. Better to just foreclose any possibility of the virus thing getting more complicated. That of course begs the question of why they invited him to dig the hole, but hey, it was a big damn hole they needed to dig.

As for knowing exactly where William was-- I thought that was weak plotting. I don't usually find myself having to suspend disbelief THAT much.

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The only reasonable explanation for that is that they have someone working at the facility, in which case there were probably easier ways to get a sample of the virus.

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    BTW, I have to say that whilst we are only two episodes in, I think there is a noticeable shift in atmosphere and tone and I'm not sure if I like it.

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    That was a pretty brutal end to the episode, but we had been building up to something like that.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  6. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like how they show that the US government weren't exactly angels when they planned to destroy the Soviet Union grain supply.

Boandlkramer repped this.
  7. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This whole series is awesome [emoji122]

Gilma1990 repped this.
  8. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is that all the Martha we're gonna get? Just a little glimpse?

9. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Almost like it was a cameo! [emoji23]

10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I doubt that they would bring back the actress if that was all they were going to do with her.

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Who is the actor who is playing Burov's new colleague? I know I have seen him in another show. He wasn't listed on the IMDB listing for the episode (as far as I can tell) so that was no help.

Is anyone else curious about the soccer game the border guards were listening to? With the showrunners' attention to detail, it's almost certainly a real game.

I don't know how realistic it is for Phillip and Elizabeth to be running two different operations (one of which takes them out of state), run a business, take care of a family, keep an eye on both a Pastor and an FBI agent across the street and still find time for double date night with said FBI agent.

12. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "Do you think they'll fire us?" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Their duaghter is going to go active before the end of the series. She's already made a meager start no?

Belgian guy repped this.
  13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    What I don't understand is why Phillip doesn't object more to that. Remember that he threatened one of their own guys when it appeared as if they were going to make Paige a second generation Illegal.

14. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think it's to their benefit as she's already implicated through knowledge of their activities. It's beyond phillip's control.

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    #15 Belgian guy, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Well that was my favorite episode of the fifth season.

- Lotus 1-2-3 pillow talk, I laughed so hard, especially at Phillip's facial expression
    - Looks like Elizabeth got the better deal with her honey trap operation
    - I loved the Russian Dating game dinner party with Burov :ROFLMAO:
    - I initially feared that they had something far more sinister planned for Phillip's kid but was relieved to see Gabriel show up to the meeting
    - With the theme of this season revolving heavily around parenthood/fatherhood, it's pretty clear that the fact that Gabriel and Claudia hid his son's visit from Phillip will have serious repercussions further along the line
    - So far, I find the Paige story line the least interesting
    - If Renee is truly a Russian plant to get information from Stan, why would the Center not inform Phillip and Elizabeth of this?

16. Gilma1990

Gilma1990 Member+

Jul 30, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The main conclusion I've drawn from The Americans is that they do a lot of ********ing and killing.

17. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Claudia and Gabriel are clever enough to know that Philip and Elizabeth (especially Philip) have a lot of affection for Stan, and would worry about him if he were in danger. That's my guess.

My hunch about Renee is not that she's KGB but that she's some kind of FBI or CIA internal affairs agent. Stan's higher-ups may suspect something, so they're using one of their own to find out.

Gilma1990 and Belgian guy repped this.
  18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I like that theory. Perhaps the reason is his close relationship to Burov, she could be a means to find out if he has been compromised in some way.

19. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Decentralized operations preserve other cells/networks

Belgian guy repped this.
  20. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So is Paige going active!?

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I briefly thought that but now I think it's more likely they want her to meet Gabriel (something of a father figure to both Phillip and Elizabeth) before he goes back to Russia.

Are they setting up the Topeka scientist Elizabeth is honeytrapping as her own Martha? Because she really seems to like him.

22. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Good point as Gabriel is leaving

I think so, I'm not sure she has any other pressing need to go up there.

The lady Stanley/FBI is trying to cultivate, who is she?

23. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    One of the marks they are trying to turn. Though it looks like she will end up being the one to bite. I don't think they have mentioned what her role is supposed to be within the Russian presence in the US.

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Can someone remind me what Elizabeth was stealing from the shrink's office? I forgot what that was all about.

25. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not sure either, and what's with the side story about Gabriel leaving? Is it relevant or is production just changing things up By changing characters? Seems odd given that there may be only one season left from what I have seen online.

I think Paige goes active or at least dabbles in it

They seemed keen on this having a finite run. Who knows.