The American Cable Cutter Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SpencerNY, May 22, 2015.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    This is not available in the USA right?

2. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Yes available in the USA

There are no blackouts for any sport programming

Cantona---

HomietheClown repped this.
  3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That is very interesting and tempting.

4. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It has about 15 channels total... Other than ITV and BBC, the only other channel that show sport is DAVE, generally Boxing and Darts. And it is in HD.. Look for the UK Filmon channel.

I have IPTV on my main and two Rokus in bedrooms.. So to be able to have British TV on another TV it's a bargain

Cantona---

5. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The picture quality was fantastic thru PSVue on Roku for last night's game. Much better than my PS3.

6. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Sling now also carries NBC, so it seems that both PS Vue and Sling now carry all soccer channels you would need to cut the cord (at least for me). The main thing now is comparing the actual two services for preferences to determine which one fits one's needs better.

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So this would cover English language, any idea on my options for Spanish?

Would need at least Univision Deportes, ESPNDEPORTES and Fox Deportes. Would love if goltv was included but not necessarily.

Unimas and Azteca America I may get over the air in Chicago.

8. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Just got playstation vue a few days ago and looks good so far. DVR takes time to get used to. I'm using Roku, which I hear lacks some capabilities. For premier league, I managed to record all games by simply recording premier league soccer. For other leagues, it seems like I have to record games individualy while bundesliga soccer search doesn't even return anything for me so I have to find the games in listings. Does anyone have any tips about this?

But it's finally good to have access to FS2 and bein connect.

9. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    A question to full cord cutters: What kind of internet service to aim for if one is going to stream most of his TV online?

10. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    It all depends on your usage and how many users/streams you will have on the network simultaneously. High speed is the best, not sure DSL would give you a good experience. I had Comcast and now have Fios and both work fine. I get 50 mbps which works fine for 3 streams at the same time. It could probably do more but haven't tried it.

Another very important thing is to look if they have data caps. I know some of them limit your monthly data usage, and that normally prevents you from internet tv if you have multiple users or smaller limit. I know Fios and Comcast don't have caps but still monitor usage for reasonableness.

11. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Comcast does have caps. I had to switch from Comcast to Uverse because bundling Uverse and DTV meant no caps. But Comcast will give you 1TB per month and then start to charge in blocks over 1TB unless you pay an additional $50 per month for unlimited. I liked Comcast better than Uverse but not at $130+ per month for 75mbps d/l and 15mbps u/l when I get equal d/l speeds with Uverse for way less and no cap. The thing that sucks with Uverse is u/l speed, which is crap.

12. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caps do not exist in all Comcast markets, its still more or less a trial.

13. Warren Van Orden

Feb 29, 2000
    Richmond CA
    NOTE:
    The trial has ended and they have, just this month, launched the rollout of this data cap and extra charges for over 1TB.

It is being implemented in SF Bay Area starting in November, the news converage this month makes it sound like it is going to be system-wide in the next few months.

14. chrisdon72

chrisdon72 Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Comcast wants $100 a month from us. They don't really care if you get old school cable TV or not, IMO.

15. asroma1982

asroma1982 Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Club:
    AS Roma
    if comcast would bring beinsport to basic package i would not cable cut but they don't then i am afraid i will cable cut next year

16. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a company, I think it realizes that it can keep a customer base whether you buy TV service or not. You have more video options than broadband options. If you look at subscriber numbers, they have more internet than cable customers these days. You're not really cutting the cord. This will affect content providers far more than a company like Comcast.

17. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Just a heads up that FuboTV has a 50% off black Friday coupon that you can use this weekend. It covers 3 months of programming. Normally I might jump at this but their tiers aren't interesting to me. The channels I want that are only SD on DirecTV (TyC and GolTV) are add-on tiers, so I would have to pay for a bunch of channels I already get in HD on DirecTV just to add on the channels I want. At $6.99 that's not too bad, but a lot of those 3 months will be useless since I assume December will be dead and so will early January.

18. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Hi, guys!

I hadn't paid much attention to this thread but now that I am married...

Basically the channels that I care about are the following: bein and beiñ; Univisión, Fox and ESPN Deportes; FS1, FS2; NBC Sports; and TV Chile (and to a lesser extent GolTV though it is not as relevant as the other ones). Non-soccer related: HBO and Showtime.

If it helps at all, we do have have a PS4 and a smart TV.

If I wanted all that and hopefully a DVR, what would be my best bet in terms of price? Now that I can no longer mooch off my parents, I actually need to worry about how much I/we spend. :D

Thanks in advance for your guys' help.

19. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Out of the 3 main streaming services (sling tv, ps vue, and directv now), ps vue has the best dvr option. You can save prety much anything for 28 days. Sling is just rolling out dvr but with space limitations. Directv now just started with no dvr and I've read some bad stories about their service reliability.

I pay 40 per month for ps vue and have all I need for european soccer: FS1&2, fox deportes, 2 bein channels, NBCSN, and online credentials to access their apps online. I could pay extra $10 to get the next tier with espn deportes but don't need it.

There is no Univision on ps vue but sling tv has it. Sling also has a lot more spanish channels. The best thing is to compare their offerring to see what you need.

20. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With PSVue, how many shows can you record at ones?

21. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

MetroChile and Gilma1990 repped this.
  22. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    As many as you want. There is no local DVR. It's a cloud DVR on ps servers. You can't really adjust time, so it can ne a problem for other sports that run over but not really soccer since the matches don't go past 2 hours. The only thing is that it stays there 28 days from the last airing so that's how long you have to see it. All of these services have 7-day free trial to start. You can cancel if you don't like them.

Dante repped this.
  23. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey everyone. So I cut the cord over a year ago by dropping Dish and we have just been watching OTA and Netflix. For soccer, I've been limited to OTA and MLS Live, and ESPN 3 through our Apple TV thanks to using Cox for internet service.

I just got a Roku stick for Christmas. Can anyone give me a summary of the best ways to watch soccer on Roku? Cheap is good, but free is even better.

24. jammybastard

jammybastard Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Flyoverland
    "Free" options, and there are plenty, aren't discussed here because it usually involves the "grey" market of illegal retransmission/sharing/stealing, etc...feeds from around the world.

If you Google "soccer streams on roku" my guess is that you will get lots of links and that's when the the fun really begins.

25. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    It seems that fubo tv has started a streaming service that includes pretty much all relevant soccer channels for $35/month introductory price with a lot of other channels too. Can't beat that if all you care for is soccer. Not sure about the dvr capabilities.