The alltime left-footed XI thread

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by annoyedbyneedoflogin, Nov 29, 2017.

1. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Juventus Football Clube Ajax Mineiro de Deportes
    Jun 11, 2012
    I just went away with hidegkuti78's idea and tried a quick attempt at an all lefty team:
    GK Francesco Toldo
    LB Nilton Santos
    LCB Materazzi
    RCB Walter Samuel
    RB Japanese international Gotoku Sakai registers for the position on Whoscored
    LCM Redondo
    RCM Cueto
    AM Maradona
    LW Robben
    RW Messi
    ST Riva

Hidegkuti78 repped this.
  2. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Maybe

1 - Rinat Dasaev
    2 - Phillipe Albert
    3 - Bixente Lizarazu
    4 - Branko Zebec
    5 - Fernando Redondo
    6 - Daniel Passarella
    7 - Tom Finney
    8 - Dejan Savicevic
    9 - Lionel Messi
    10 - Ferenc Puskas
    11 - Diego Maradona

4-1-4-1: Dasaev; Albert, Zebec, Passarella, Lizarazu; Redondo; Messi, Savicevic, Maradona, Finney; Puskas

msioux75 and annoyedbyneedoflogin repped this.
  3. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    Excellent finds for the right defense!

4. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Thanks. I remember Albert was pretty good on his right side, in the World Cup too. Although strictly speaking he'd be the most out of position, but it's more unusual for left-footers to play at right back than for right-footers to play at left back, and he ought to do well in that position I think.

5. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Andreas Brehme might also be suitable for the right back position (he played there regularly and is a left-footed player by birth).

annoyedbyneedoflogin repped this.
  6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    That's a fair call I think, and I probably didn't have quite enough of a think about the defender options, as he'd have come to mind otherwise. It's hard to be sure regarding Zebec, but I might be tempted to keep Albert in the team as RCB and drop Zebec or alternatively Passarella who might annoy Redondo lol! Or Redondo could drop out for Zebec to move forwards, as the Yuogslav could also play as DM and general midfielder too by all accounts.

7. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    I recall reading that all 2-footed players are right-footed.
    This would put Finney and Brehme (fantastic player) under suspicion.

8. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think in general it's true, but I did read Finney was in essence left footed, and he did take penalties with that foot. Brehme didn't of course, but said I believe he had better accuracy in his right but more power in his left (Gregoriak will confirm) and he might be the most confusing case of all if left-footed (Maldini, another great left-back of course could be a confusing case too but I believe he'd be deemed right footed as might Nilton Santos actually...and I think PES stats shows them both as right footed although I assume with a high 'weak foot accuracy').

9. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Of my original starting other than Finney, I think only Albert and Savicevic might be deemed definitely 'good' with their right side in general, although of course there will be examples like certain chipped goals by Messi.

Probably even Albert wouldn't really qualify as typically 'two footed' though indeed. As in I don't think his right was comparatively or close to comparatively good with the right as with his left overall, in general play let alone with difficult volleys etc (but he did bend a goal in with it in that WC94 didn't he - outside of the boot as well IIRC...and I think I'm ok with my left as opposed to not ok with my left hand in squash/tennis, but using the outside of it I don't think I'd do well even once out of 10 times lol...so maybe Albert's two footedness could be a possibility).

10. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    Watching Finney, I can tell he's a lefty. But apart from Brehme's through balls being played with the left, it's hard to tell.

What do you guys think of his performance here on the right?
    @Gregoriak @PDG1978

peterhrt repped this.
  11. victorcalello38

Feb 28, 2017
    Club:
    Montevideo Wanderers FC
    CASILLAS
    ZEBEC PASSARELLA N.SANTOS
    REDONDO GERSON
    GARRINCHA CHARLTON MARADONA
    MESSI PUSKAS

Rivelino, Rivaldo, Raúl González, Guti, Roberto Carlos, Hugo Sánchez, Mario Alberto Kempes, José Luis Chilavert, Ryan Giggs, Gareth Bale, Ángel Di María, Edgar Davids, Juan Arango, Álvaro Recoba, David Silva, Robin van Persie, Mesut Ozil, Arjen Robben, Martín Palermo, César Cueto, Andreas Brehme, Gheorge Hagi, Marcelo Salas, Manuel Negrete, Andrés D’ Alessandro, Gerson, Adriano, Iker Munían, Andrés Guardado, Giovani dos Santos and Marcelo.

12. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Garrincha and Charlton weren't left footed actually mate; I'm sure of that although I don't see any that were right footed (as far as I know) among your extras anyway. Probably you could put in Hagi for Charlton, and Giggs for Garrincha with Maradona switching over to the right? Or since you named them first maybe you'd go with Rivelino and Rivaldo instead. As you could see from my team I'd probably be recommending Savicevic of course and if not Finney it could be Dzajic, another Yugoslav who was definitely predominantly left sided.

Charlton did score some screamers with his left too though, so I can understand how you might have assumed he could be left footed. Him and George Best apparently both spent hours regularly trying to improve their left side.

13. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Very competent.

As well as not thinking hard enough about defenders, another reason I initially left out Brehme (who I agree is otherwise the obvious RB in such a team probably) is because I wasn't sure myself if he was predominantly right or left sided, but I'd be prepared to go with Gregoriak's knowledge over PES stats on this occasion certainly.

It can be he is a rare case who really doesn't have a 'best' side anyway. My nephew is like that but in his arms not his legs (he plays squash with both hands rather than using backhands, and he says he uses one hand for cutting things with scissors and the other for writing; also one side for Pool and the other for Golf I think). I had a mate who was similarly ambidextrous I think, playing darts etc. Interestingly they are both definitely left footed for football. Maybe Brehme has one arm that is definitely better, but is equal or equivalent in his legs. I think he was slightly better as a left-back probably, but that's not necessarily to do with which side of his body he prefers to use.

14. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    It's always surprising to me how Fernando Redondo gets placed on a higher pedestal than his (semi-)contemporaries.

It makes perfect sense to make him a starter of an ideal team of the 1990s (born 1969), but he's not the only one to fit.

At the Ballon d'Or his highest ever position was 18th, with one other time nominated (in 1995). Maybe he would have received one more before 1995 if eligible (in 1993 for sure I think, but most likely not the other years).

At the FIFA World Player his highest ever position was 20th, if I'm not mistaken here. For ESM he received four times an inclusion (January 1997, April 1998, May 1998, May 2000), and Don Balon included him in 1992-93 and 1997-98 in their ideal team (cf. Guardiola who got included 6 times).

His most outstanding recognitions were him elected UEFA club footballer in 2000 (while Mendieta was 'best midfielder') and surprisingly 'player of the decade' by EFE while never voted for a single year by the same organization. Although he didn't play at the best position, he was also never 'Don Balon' player of the month as far as I can see.

It might very well be that he was under-recognized in his own time, and it does make sense to include him in an ideal team of the 1990s, but the way he got elevated above others is quite surprising.

If you look at Nedved or Davids for example, then no, those don't stand out at every big and small thing, but they are 'exceptional' in the way Guerin Sportivo rated them year-in-year-out (Nedved also in how he helped his side to win games). For Redondo there is hardly anything where he stood out in his own time.

15. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    I'm not sure if I summarize your post correctly. I understand that:
    -Redondo isn't that recognized by awards in contrast with posters.
    -Player awards are different by the various organizations.
    -There are other options to Redondo.

But who to your opinion is a better choice? Is it Davids, or the right footed Guardiola, Mendieta? Or is it Nedved, who never played as a 6?

A major distinction between these awards and poster XIs is that posters consider making a balanced team.

16. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    No, that is not what I am saying above.

17. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    Then what do you mean by the above?

18. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    That he's not the only proper fit.

Other options (not all of the same level):

Davids, Cambiasso, Ze Roberto, Motta, Stefan Schwarz, Dino Baggio, Paul Ince, Leo Junior, Johnny Giles....

19. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012

20. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Sorry, my bad! I meant to quote the part "better choice" rather than "other options". I quoted the wrong part at post #16.

I wouldn't say there are markedly better options

21. Hidegkuti78

Hidegkuti78 Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I'll definitely candidate Maldini for RB because, even though I don't think he ever played there professionally, he is naturally right footed (as incredible as it sounds) and I have no doubt that his football IQ would let him adapt instantly.

22. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    Wasn't it your idea to have a LEFT-footed xi?

23. Hidegkuti78

Hidegkuti78 Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Yup :)
    Unless we limit it to pure lefties (as in: they can play with their left foot ONLY) Maldini should make the cut imo

24. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    Well, if we add in the right footers, it will be hard to determine who fits. If we go from strong to weak, where do we draw the line? Let's say: Hoddle, Valderrama, Nedved, Sneijder, Zidane, Matthäus, Maldini, Overmars, Fontaine, cr7.

25. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think Maldini is falling into the Brehme camp but from the opposite direction maybe: it might be assumed he was left footed, but on closer inspection he might appear right footed (but was he for sure? I think I read/heard yes but the memory is sketchy).

So I think Hidegkuti78 thinks he was predominantly left footed, and annoyedbyneedoflogin thinks he is naturally right sided but arguably among the two-footed options?