The All-Time Greatest Bundesliga Players II

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Dead Fingers, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    That Bernd Dierssen Pic

Where did you find that Dierssen photo? I think that there are sites out there that have what I'm looking for but finding those sites is the main problem in some cases. Oh, and while I'm at this, I forgot to mention that Dierssen was one of the players, along with Klaus Taeuber, Juergen Wegmann, Gerd Kleppinger and Dietmar Roth, among others, that Schalke had to sell in 1987 to try to pay off its debts.

While Dierssen went to Hannover Schalke held on for the time being to Olaf Thon even though it meant that the club started the 1987-88 season something like 4.5 million marks(still)in debt, which.was clearly against DFB regulations. Smaller clubs like Dynamo Dresden, Saarbrueckn, Oberhausen and Rot-Weiss Essen later on found themselves in the same financial predicament but were not shown the same consideration by the DFB. I thought that was patently unfair and I have since wondered what kind of backroom deal Schalke made with the DFB to keep its license to play at the profi level.

This looks like another case for Gregoriak to come back here and share his wisdom because I for one would like to find someone who has direct knowledge of what happened with Schalke during the 1986-87 and 1987-88 seasons and exactly how large the club's initial debt became. I know in the latter case that it was over 7 million marks but I could never, try as I might, get the final total. I wrote to the DFB one time asking about it but they replied that this information was confidential between them and the clubs. I don't think that was the case in reality as this situation had been reported on German Professional Soccer(the reincarnation of Soccer Made in Germany with Alan Fountain taking over the announcing duties from Toby Charles)on an ongoing basis and the numbers kept changing every time the subject was raised.

2. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Thoise Hard To Find Pics

I guess you can't expect to find pics for every player that you will see here but I think I can safely say that some clubs and their supporters are better at providing this type of material than others. There will be more players to come in this category so don't worry too much about it. We can only do what we can do. With that said, however, I would think a club like Schalke, for example, would do better at this than clubs like Nuernberg or, perhaps, Frankfurt.

3. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Hubert Birkenmeier

[​IMG]

Birkenmeier played in goal for Tennis Borussia Berlin in 1974-75 and 1976-77. He was the number 1 goalkeeper the first year but was forced to divide the TeBe goalkeeping duties equally with Volkmar Gross in his second season with the club. After his club got relegated for the 2nd time(unfortunately Tennis Borussia has yet to make it back since then; that is another club I would like to see back in the Bundesliga)he played second division soccer for a couple of seasons with Freiburger FC before going to America to play for the New York Cosmos where he became one of the best keepers in the North American Soccer League and after that to the New Jersey Eagles.

4. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Gerhard "Gerd" Kleppinger

[​IMG]

Kleppinger bounced around the Bundesliga pretty well. He played for Darmstadt(1978-79), Kerlsruhe(1982-83), Schalke(1984-87), Dortmund(1987-88) and Uerdingen(1988-91). He played some in midfield but mostly in defense during the course of his well traveled career in the league. He didn't score a lot of goals but at the same time he never failed to get on the scoresheet at least once in any single BL season. He really was not heavy enough for his considerable height so finding a proper position must have been problematic; nevertheless, he played all 9 of his seasons in the BL as a fulltimer. He was another of those players sold by Schalke in 1987 to get money to pay off its debts. It was my understanding at the time that Dortmund, to which he transferred, included a loan with the transfer sum that was sent to Schalke. I wonder how that fit in with the DFB rules of the time. We need Gregoriak again to sort it all out.

5. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Dietmar Roth

[​IMG]

Roth played in the Bundesliga for Karlsruhe(1984-85), Schalke(1985-87)and Frankfurt(1987-96). He should get longevity points for all those BL seasons. He played in defense for his entire career in the league. His first 11 seasons were all spent as a fulltimer; only in his 12th and final season was he reduced to parttime status. With only 5 career goals to his credit he obviously stayed back to concentrate on defense the vast majority of the time. Roth wasn't passive on defense picking up 56 yellow cards and 1 yellow/red card along the way. He was one more of those players Schalke had to sell(to Frankfurt in this case)in 1987 to try to pay off its massive debts.

6. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Klaus Berge

[​IMG]

I haven't been able to find a picture for this player. Berge played in the Bundesliga for Schalke in 1984-85 and 1987-88 and in between for Saarbruecken in 1985-86. His positions were midfield at first then striker. He was a parttimer for his first 2 seasons but in his last league campaign he only made 2 appearances. Although he played mostly on the offensive side of the ball he failed to score in 33 career BL games(with 1 lone yellow card to his name). He was another underweight player for his height. His proper place on a Bundesliga roster was strictly as a backup player.

P.S. - I just found something. It certainly took long enough.

7. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Rainer Berg

[​IMG]

Berg played in goal for 1860 Munich from 1994 to 1997. He was quite large which, one would think, would have cut down on his mobility. He was strictly used as a backup in his first 2 Bundesliga seasons but in his 3rd and last campaign he became the number 1 for 1860 between the posts. His career in the league included 3 yellow cards.

8. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Ralf Augustin

[​IMG]

Augustin played striker from 1978 to 1981 in the Bundesliga with Dortmund. In 12 league games during those 3 seasons he scored twice and picked up 3 yellow cards. His place in the Dortmund side was as a reserve for insurance against injury to the regular strikers.

9. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Jan-Einar Aas

[​IMG]

Aas was a Norwegian defender who played Bundesliga soccer for Bayern from 1979 to March of 1981. In 13 total appearances he scored once and collected a yellow card. It was no wonder that with all the talent that Bayern had he was reduced to the role of a backup which only lasted until his transfer to Nottingham Forest before the end of the 1980-81 campaign.

10. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: That Bernd Dierssen Pic

I just searched his name in google under the image search and there was a website, about 2-3 pages into the list where they had the whole schalke team from that season the pic was dated from. They were all small icons but if you clicked on them, you'd get an enlarged version.

Yes, I grew up listening to alan fountain :)

German clubs aren't great with providing overseas supporters coverage unfortunately

11. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Aleksandar Abutovic

[​IMG]

Abutovic just about barely got his foot in the door when it came to the Bundesliga. He was in the league with Nuernberg from 1988 to 1990 yet he only appeared in a single game(in his first season). I found a pic for him so that is pretty much why he is represented here. He was a midfielder who was not heavy enough for his height to be able to find a place in the lineup for his club. With only that 1 game to his credit it is no wonder he failed to put up any numbers for statistical purposes.

12. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Multiple Responses

How good are the German clubs at providing this coverage to their own domestic followers? With the Internet it shouldn't matter any more and should be one and the same.

13. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: Multiple Responses

they're just not good with english websites and things like that. They are insular in that regard.

Germans can find these photos without needing to go online.

But even when it comes to the club websites and things like that, the german versions are run far better in many regards than the english ones in general.

14. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Jovan Acimovic

[​IMG]

Acimovic played in the Bundesliga from 1976 to 1978 with Saarbruecken. He was a midfielder who played 41 games, scored 1 goal, picked up 3 assists and was carded 4 times(all yellow). He appears to have had the primary task of doing setup work for his teammates up front. He went from a fulltimer in his 1st season to a parttimer in his 2nd.

15. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    A Few More Responses

Again, no surprise here, surely. Their focus is exactly where you would expect it to be.

16. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: A Few More Responses

I just noticed that some of your comments were included within the quote tags for my post, making me miss them altogether!

When you quote a post of mine, and want to separate parts to add your replies underneath each one, make sure that every part that my post is broken up into is surrounded by the quote tags.

You can do it manually by typing the tags yourself - the same format as the image tags, except instead of the function being "img", it is now "quote".

Or you can highlight the part of my post you want and click on the "quote" button. It is the speech box button between the mountain/sun icon and the "#" icon.

17. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Dariusz Adamczuk

[​IMG]

Polish-born Adamczuk played 5 games in defense for Frankfurt in the 1992-93 Bundesliga season failing to score while picking up a yellow card. His pic is why he is here, except he is someone to consider for anyone trying to put together a roster for this club to simulate play in this season. His presence adds needed depth.

18. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    My Ongoing Learning Experience Here

Sorry about that, Squidward. That didn't come out the way I wanted. I guess my learning experience here continues. I'll work on this like I did with the pics.

19. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Multiple Pics in the Same Post?

Dead Fingers, if you're still around, I would like to know before I do the wrong thing what your stand is on posting more than 1 pic in a single post. That possibility exists for players who split their Bundesliga careers with 2 or more clubs(as most did)but I imagine that photos - at least the bigger ones - can take up serious bandwidth or whatever. So, then, D.F., what is the official position here on multiple photo postings within a single message? I don't know that I will actually do that but I want to know beforehand what my options are.

20. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Holger Aden

[​IMG]

Aden played striker in the Bundesliga for Leverkusen(1989-90)and Bochum(1992-93 and 1994-95). Only in his first season with VfL was he even used as a parttimer; the other 2 years he was strictly a reserve. His goal output with Bochum was good; in 22 total games with the club he scored 13 times. He would have been very good to have coming off the bench to provide his club with some quick offense.

21. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Thomas Adler

[​IMG]

Adler played 19 games at striker in 1992-93 for Uerdingen and scored a pair of goals. He also picked up 5 yellow cards and a yellow/red card. Clearly he falls into the category of a parttime player. With his smallish physical dimensions he would have been properly suited to playing outside.

22. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Rainer Adrion

[​IMG]

Adrion played from 1980 to 1982 in defense for Stuttgart. The first season only saw him get into 2 games but in the second he played in 22 Bundesliga contests. His only stat was the 3 yellow cards he picked up in that latter campaign. He was another of those players that didn't have enough flesh on his bones for his height; that made it more difficult for him to settle into a proper position with his club. From looking at the numbers I wonder if his career was prematurely ended by injury.

23. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Dieter Agatha

[​IMG]

Dieter Agatha played 9 games in defense in 1977-78 for 1860 Munich. In that time he accumulated no statistics. Being a little underweight he wasn't really suited to playing central defense. His main function on the 1860 roster was to add much needed depth to the defense which had no other players in reserve.

24. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Henrik Agerbek

[​IMG]

Agerbeck, from Denmark, played up front on a fulltime basis for Hertha Berlin from 1978 to 1980. In his 2 Bundesliga seasons he scored 12 goals and avoided picking up any cards. He would have made a useful compliment to the big Hertha scorers(which he became in his second season with the club despite netting only 9 goals).

25. noone23

noone23 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    SE PA
    Paul Agostino

[​IMG]

Agostino, from Australia originally, played his entire profi career including the Bundesliga years from 1997 to 2004 at forward with 1860 Munich except for 4 games in his final season when he left the team for a spell with the 1860 junior side. He had his best season in 2000-01 with 12 goals. He played 2 seasons in the league as a fulltime striker; 4 others were parttime and the other campaign was strictly as a reserve. He was big enough to play centerforward. His other BL career statistics included 30 total goals, 2 assists and 6 cards accumulated(5 yellow and a red).