The all-purpose Rivaldo thread.

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by toot86, Jul 25, 2002.

1. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    A very talented player, but to be honest, I have never seen him "laughing and enyoing" on the pitch ... he always wore a long and sad face ... sad ...ly

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    In case anybody missed (I sure did) Rivaldo joined Sao Paulo.

4. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    What a bizarre move!

5. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  6. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
  7. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    38 year old Rivaldo presented himself today at SP and began training with the team. His debut game is not yet known. Unbelievable.
    Anyway, we wish him the best of luck.

8. Ribo_2006

Ribo_2006 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Uk
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLtk99hODyc&feature=related"]YouTube - Rivaldo's goal in Asian Champions League[/ame]

I think based off youtube highlights:eek:, he still has the technical quality to play a crucial role at Sao Paulo. His left foot is still a cut above many many players, it'll be the physical aspect which determines his success. According to one journalist on globo, he was training hard and looked sharp on friday...

A real pity he didn't return after he ended his Greek adventure nearly 3 years ago. :( Better late then never i guess....

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    "DO SÃO PAULO!!! RIVALDO!!!! Rivaldo recebe na área e, com um toque na coxa, deu chapéu no adversário, antes de mandar para as redes. Um golaço!"

Even at 38 I think Rivaldo may have some good influence. I kind of wished he had come to Palmeiras. Scolari didn't want him because he felt he knew what Rivaldo was capable of since they worked together very recently. I hope Felipao didn't make a mistake. :mad:

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Still got some of that magic ...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WmlCby8xGk"]YouTube - São Paulo x Linense - Campeonato Paulista globoesporte.com tempo real.mp4[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1CZYI8hbks"]YouTube - Veja golaço de Rivaldo em treino do São Paulo[/ame]

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfz5G68EZ9c"]YouTube - Golaço de Rivaldo, São Paulo x Linense - Campeonato Paulista 2011[/ame]

Golaco. E olha como ele ta magrinho aos 38 :p

12. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Apesar de estar jogando no SPFC, estarei torcendo pelo sucesso dele. Sou fã do futebol dele..

13. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
  14. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    I am RONALDO'S biggest fan but it does make me wonder why others players older than him (Rvaldo, Zanetti and half the Milan team!) are in superb physical condition and he isn't.

15. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    There was speculation that he has some kind of problem but I think it motivational; Ronaldo could care less.

16. dawej

dawej Member

Jun 23, 2010
    I think it plays a big part how you are as a person. Both Rivaldo and Zanetti are extremely dedicated to the lifestyle and are very careful of what they eat and drink. Go to bed at specific hours, schedule for when to eat, train and sleep etc.

From what we have heard of Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Adriano etc., they do like the occasional :)rolleyes:) drink for example. When you get older, you loose speed. Its a matter of adjusting you playing style, like Giggs.

I dont think its unusual that the oldest players (38+) in a team is also the ones with the best physical condition.

17. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Roberto Carlos and Cafu are other ones - supremely fit players.

18. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think it has to do mostly with metabolism. You know when certain people can eat anything they want and never gain a pound, and others gain weight easily by just looking at food. Ronaldo's metabolism is really slow and I am very concerned that when he stops playing, he will really blow up. Ronaldo needs to be careful with his life style, what and how much he eats, and exercise regularly, otherwise you can be sure Ronaldo will really blow up. Having said that, Rivaldo's physical condition at his age, as is Roberto Carlos are absolutely impressive.

19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    No way. He has the same problem as Ronaldinho and Adriano: lack of dedication in training. His old team mates at Madrid and Barcelona have mentioned he wasn't dedicated in training...this goes back more than 10 years.

Ronaldo has played the fans for suckers for the past 5 years with this weight issue. First it was the thyroid hormonal problem ... remember at Milan ? They had finally found the source of his weight problems !!! So he started taking medicine and he was supposed to lose weight. Then he did the Lipo when he arrived at Corinthians to help with the extra pounds. Didn't help at all.

Ronaldo's mistake was that he could rely solely on his talent. It took him pretty damn far and no Brazilian fan can really complain much. But he could have easily still been a very good striker at his current age.

20. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If you followed his career you know that Ronaldo has been dealing with career ending type injuries since he was like 23. That's probably due to his build and playing style, that super-human sprint of his abused his joints. Now at 35 Both his knees are shot, he probably can't go for a 5 mile jog anymore without hurting himself.

That he even came back to win '02 after his knee cap was basically knocked off his leg shows he has heart.

Rivaldo on the other hand has a different build and has had a healthy career.

21. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Agree. He would have played in the 2010 Copa and made history if the fitness was there. A great shame.

22. Ribo_2006

Ribo_2006 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Uk
    Released from Sao Paulo

Rivaldo desires to play on for another year. I suspect he'll be staying in Brazil and head to Mogi for his swansong.

23. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    What kind of question is that?

You'd rather wonder why Rivaldo, Zanetti or Seedorf, Scholes, Beckham ... are so SLOW in speed and acceleration compared to Ronaldo?

Or you should wonder why Figo, Xavi, david Villa ... only became great in much later years than Ronaldo?

Everyone is born under different "physical condition" - Ronaldo was born with a great talent as a wonder kid, but in the same time his physical aspect (fat build up, and nicked injuries...) is his limit - that's ALL