The all-purpose Rivaldo thread.

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by toot86, Jul 25, 2002.

1. toot86

toot86 New Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Long John Silver's
    I come to this awsome brazil forum to ask a question . Whats going to happend to Rivaldo and how much does he cost maybe I could buy him.... lol

2. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    I think he's going to Milan.

3. moacir

moacir New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Figueira da Foz, PT
    A paycut!

His salary@ Barça was $10mil/yr. Milan is offering about half.

4. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas
    Re: Rivaldo whats his future?

This idea is pretty funny. Any Big Soccer posters want to pitch in? You know the markets are depressed all across Europe. He is already 30 years old and is questionable whether or not his best football is in his past (1999-2000). We should be able to get him at a discount.

If we get him, he has to play for my rec. team at least once... :D

5. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Everyone seems to be in at some way... well, maybe not. I don't see United chasing him anymore. I wonder what teed them off?

Athletic Madrid are looking into him as well. Funny that - when they just get rid of Juninho. Oh well. He'll probably go to Milan. But I agree with Riotom9 - his best years probably are behind him.

6. moacir

moacir New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Figueira da Foz, PT
    Signed with Milan

For 3 years and 4.5 mil Euros/year

7. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    Serie A
    MOGGI SHRUGS OFF RIVALDO COUP
    30/07/02
    Juventus chief Luciano Moggi appreciates the media hoopla over AC Milan’s capture of Rivaldo, but the Turin executive wants to remind all that his boys are the holders.

"Evidently, Milan likes collecting champions," said Moggi. "Now Milan has one more big player who could allow them to make a huge improvement, at least, in their relations with the fans.”
    "One thing doesn't change: we remain the strongest,” he averred. “(We) want to win the Scudetto, Champions’ League and Coppa Italia.”

8. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    Rivaldo Almost Joined Tottenham

New Milan signing Rivaldo came close to joining Tottenham according to boss Glenn Hoddle.

The former Barcelona striker was recently available on a free transfer, eventually joining the Serie A side, however Hoddle says that the Premiership side were close to clinching his signature.

He said, "We were close to getting Rivaldo and I know that (chairman) Daniel (Levy) put in a supreme effort on our behalf. This illustrates the high nature of our ambition and the fact that we prefer to operate away from the spotlight. It goes without saying that a player of Rivaldo's quality would have been a major boost to our squad. There are not many players of that class in the world game so when the chance of signing was there we had to move heaven and earth to try and bring him here. Unfortunately it didn't happen this time, but the search goes on."

9. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    Mario, you're not suppose to post entire articles. Also, offer a source and link to where you got the story from.

*For more "Rivaldo/Tottenham" news check out the Milan thread in the Italy forum.

10. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina
    I don't know. For some reason I just couldn't see Rivaldo playing at White Hart Lane. When I saw this on the scroll bar during Sky Sports News it sounded like a weak attempt to appease supporters and show what a "big" club Spurs are.

11. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    :rolleyes: he's teaching me :rolleyes:

12. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    Correct. It seems you never learned this.

13. DAKCrew

DAKCrew New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    as may father says "almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Thanks Dad

14. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    Rivaldo Considering International Retirement

SoccerAge

15. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    no rivaldo's the man!

16. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    Well, thank you for that...

:confused:

17. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    So, does Romario get some love now?

18. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I thought he had hinted at this before the WC. Probably good timing for him unless he feels he still can contribute in 2006.

As for Romario... get him a retirement match already! Geez.

Robert

19. moacir

moacir New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Figueira da Foz, PT
  20. Sao Taffarel

Sao Taffarel New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Rivaldo to continue

....in the yellow shirt. I think it is great news. Players can stay too long but this man has a year or 3 left.

21. roberto1

roberto1 New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    he needs to retire... it's my strong believe that there's other people better than him

22. ROM2

ROM2 New Member

Apr 27, 2000
    For instance?

Rivaldo isn't as mobile as he used to be and will be even less mobile in 2006 but if he's fit I see no reason why he can't make a valid contribution.

23. Riotom9

Riotom9 Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Texas

Ronaldo had an amazing and emotional comeback to the sport last year. However most experts agreed that Rivaldo was Brasil's best player when just looking at performance on the field.

Can he take being substituted on or off the field in the 60th minute in 2006? I think so. Regardless, I think you merge your new talent in. And with a new coach, what better way to get the new system and philosophies in place but to bring the same squad back? Rivaldo's experience will be very important for qualifying. Whether he makes the starting 11 in 2006 is another issue entirely, let's start talking about it in 2005. Right now he helps them win. Period.

24. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    Agree with the previous post 100%.

The key will be Rivaldo's attitude. He need not be a starter; he could be brought in as play/tactics dictate.

Romario could have filled a similar role in 2002 if not for his attitude (perceived or real).

25. Sao Taffarel

Sao Taffarel New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Rivaldo to continue

Who said he needs to go through to 2006? He has been very humble sbout things and said he will step aside if someone better comes along. It may well be that the 2004 Olympics will be his swansong.