The All-Inclusive Crew Forum FIFA World Cup 2014 Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I was trying to find what FIFA does in the event of extra time when it comes to their rankings. I thought initially the result at 90 minutes was counted, but I have a feeling that it was actually after extra time. If the game ends tied and goes to penalties it is considered a "tie" but I cannot find anything to back up either.

2. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/procedureandschedule/menprocedure/index.html

3. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you go and check the results on FIFAs website, it just says Full Time. There is no discernment between regulation time and extra time games, so I assume they're treated the same as well.

4. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    This is the actual final rankings for the World Cup (Psycho Derek is pretty close in the USA/Mexico spots).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup#Tournament_team_rankings

Broken down by the stage and then the points/scores in that stage.

1 Germany
    2 Argentina
    3 Netherlands
    4 Brazil

5 Columbia
    6 Belgium
    7 France
    8 Costa Rica

9 Chile
    10 Mexico
    11 Switzerland
    12 Uruguay
    13 Greece
    14 Algeria
    15 United States
    16 Nigeria

17 Ecuador
    18 Portugal
    19 Croatia
    20 B&H
    21 Ivory Coast
    22 Italy
    23 Spain
    24Russia
    25 Ghana
    26 England
    27 South Korea
    28 Iran
    29 Japan
    30 Australia
    31 Honduras
    32 Cameroon

6. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Bottom 16 matches exactly and top 4, the rest is way off.

7. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    As much as I love how that looks if you listed the last 10 games at Azteca it would look pretty terrible on our end.

8. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Why go back to 1975?

The last four games in Azteca are a draw, a US win and two 2-1 losses. As soon as you take Los Putos out of their home the US is better.

9. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    2009 and 2011 gold cup finals were on US soil weren't they?

EDIT - correct..however, look at the number of US flags there are in recent history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico–United_States_soccer_rivalry

10. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Since 2000, USA is 12W, 5D, 5L.

11. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    yeah but what is Mexico's record?

:D

12. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    In their minds 22W, 0D, 0L.

13. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Last four non-friendly matches in Azteca we have 3 losses. They also embarrassed us on our home soil in 2 of the last 3 Gold Cup finals.

I hate them, I was just pointing out that it's easy for us to select the Columbus games as an example of how we never lose to them.

14. coachamurton

coachamurton Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overall Record-33–18–14 (W–L–T) in Mexico's favor
    1934-1989-22-2-3 for Mexico. This accounts for 66.67% of their winning percentage and only 11.11% of ours.
    1990-1999(when we started taking the sport seriously)-6-4-4 for Mexico Here we have 22.22% of ours while 18.18% of Mexico's winnings
    2000-Present-12-5-5 for the USA. This accounts for 66.67% of our winnings and 27.78% if Mexico's.
    Stats are showing the change in the tides. Mexico was the power in the region. But the wind is a blowing, and the tides are changing.
    The US are the power in CONCACAF now and they are just having a hard time dealing with that.

15. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Based on head to head record only, or in general?

16. coachamurton

coachamurton Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say in general. The overall H2H is still in their favor, and until we take the overall I don't think Mexico will ever believe differently. But looking at the times we play each other/qualification (we were 1st compared to their 4th) and the fact that we even out in the round of 16... They don't have a leg to stand on hese days.

17. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
  19. coachamurton

coachamurton Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree for the most part. But I really dont have too much issue with it when you are 30+ and just won the WC.;)

20. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Playing for a top level national team is like having two jobs. When you're at the end of your career and getting up in age (he will be 34 at the next world cup) it's perfectly understandable to want to focus on your day to day responsibility.

I think it probably helps the team because if you know you're not going to be playing in four years you're giving the NT a chance to prepare for life without you.

I still think it's strange to entirely retire from the team though, you'd think you could still play some friendlies and have a send off.

21. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They do not do sendoffs like they once did. I think FIFA has particular rules for them now--making them very rare. Though you might think the captain of a World Cup team might be an exception.

22. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Lahm could plausibly play at the Euros in 2016 but is unlikely to still be starting (or at least as effective as currently) by Russia 2018. So it makes sense for him to let Low know now he should start grooming Lahm's replacement. Has Klose announced his retirement? He surely won't be around in 2 years.

23. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting - but not really surprising - that the article and referenced twitter statements brush over the itsy-bitsy issue of his lack of American citizenship:

"Sporting KC CEO Robb Heineman bought up the possibility of his star play representing the States on Twitter, saying that Dwyer would be eligible for Jurgen Klinsmann's side in 2017, due to the fact that he picked up his green card in 2012 after being selected in the MLS Superdraft."

Having a 'green card' does not make you eligible to play for the US national team. Dwyer would need to pursue citizenship, which is a completely different - and far more complex - process.

25. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Yes, the point is that he's eligible to become a US citizen in 2017. Those things can be expedited (see David Regis) so he's in the discussion for Russia 2018.