The All-Inclusive Crew Forum FIFA World Cup 2014 Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Jun 10, 2014.

1. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. I do agree they were the best team overall. I just thought they looked surprisingly sloppy yesterday, despite dominating all the statistics, including a lot of possession in their offensive third.

Largely agree here. I do think the Germany was lucky to not get strait red when I-forget-who went studs up very high on an Argentine's leg. But I wasn't sure that Argentina shouldn't have been shown red for the shoulder to head challenge that knocked Kramer out, and there definitely were a couple missed second yellows (the fist to Schweinsteiger being one) and bearhugs in the box on set pieces (which seemed quite prevalent in this tourney).

2. Swellster

Swellster Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it was Wheel and some poor sap always got stuck with that damned ceramic dog statue.

I agree with your main point. The fact that Timmy Howard wasn't even in the list for the GK award was ridiculous. The guy broke a freaking record and he doesn't make the list? I'm not saying he should have won it, Enyeama probably deserved it.

3. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what you're talking about. I mean to me, it makes complete sense that Higuain was able to argue (correctly) against a call that went against him before collapsing to the ground in pain

4. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You actually see fouls on offensive players all the time and I think there was at least one in the final, on Schurrle, when it was really Schurrle getting his shirt pulled.

5. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Yes, the Germans made a couple of mistakes that the Argentines didn't expect and weren't really in position to capitalize on. Lahm was great, the rest of the German backline inconsistent.

Bayern has the core of the German national team that won the cup plus Aniba, Mandzukic, Robben, and Ribery. How did they not win the CL this year? Or maybe it's Casillas not stinking up the joint in the CL final?

6. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pep is their coach.

7. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Yeah, that guy can't win anything, can he?

American Brummie repped this.
  8. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note to others: THIS is how you use sarcasm.

9. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1909 kgilbert78, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    Got cocky after winning the German league early this season and took their foot off the gas. Found out that sometimes when you do that, you can't just step on it and have everything work right.

Also note that Kicker rated Boateng as the player of the match.

10. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Not sure if cocky is the right word but I agree with the assessment. It must be hard playing for months when the league is wrapped up and you don't want an injury to end your CL or WC hopes.

I do think Pep is the wrong coach for Bayern. The roster he has does not say tiki taka or whatever they are calling possession for possession's sake these days.

11. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    And if this was a game that was streamed online that 9.7 doesn't include Unvision and WatchESPN streaming online, so I would say it's safe to say this was more probably equal if not above both of those matches in total.

I know the two sites had the rights to all that was on ESPN, but I don't know if the final was exclusive to ABC (even though it owns ESPN).

12. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, just maybe, it was the players for Barca that won, and not Pep and his coaching? Take a different set of players and try to get them to conform to a system instead of coaching to their strengths will only get you so far.

13. timpegoose

timpegoose Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Toledo, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds vaguely familiar to a certain situation in Ohio

EDIT: didn't Gregg spend some time with Barca studying how they train or something?

14. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think some of that was ARG putting on better pressure than Brazil did. They seemed a little harried, even when they were not under real pressure.

15. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germany looked a lot better in the knockout rounds when Lahm moved back to defender. Their defense was a bit shaky in the group stage.

16. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More AO fun. I signed up for them last year hoping to get USA-Mexico tickets (I didn't). I did NOT sign up for recurring memberships, but I just got a paypal notice that they tried to auto renew my membership and my credit card on file was expired.

Bill Archer repped this.
  17. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw this on ESPN: http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup...occer-game-in-us-historymore-than-26m-viewers
    Tons of viewers for the final, and some social media crap.

18. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, does anyone know how I can go in and cancel automatic renewal?

I did see that there is some fine print that says they will automatically renew your membership unless you opt out, but I don't remember seeing that fine pring at the time I signed up, let alone the option to decline it, otherwise I certainly would have opted out.

19. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    My stab at how the teams finished - The bottom 16 teams are ranked on their table points, GD etc. The top 16 is based on who they lost to and how far they went. SO for example, anyone that lost to Germany would be highest ranked in that round...pot shots in logic expected.

1 Germany
    2 Argentina
    3 Netherlands
    4 Brazil
    5 France
    6 Belgium
    7 Costa Rica
    8 Colombia
    9 Algeria
    10 Switzerland
    11 Mexico
    12 Chile
    13 Nigeria
    14 United States
    15 Greece
    16 Uruguay
    17 Ecuador
    18 Portugal
    19 Croatia
    20 Bosnia-Herzegovina
    21 Ivory Coast
    22 Italy
    23 Spain
    24 Russia
    25 Ghana
    26 England
    27 South Korea
    28 Iran
    29 Japan
    30 Australia
    31 Honduras
    32 Cameroon

20. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sir you have placed Mexico above the United States. Mexico has jumped 9 spots. Please turn in all your "Dos A Cero" and "Home" shirts and "Land of the Free" scarf.

CybrSlydr and coachamurton repped this.
  21. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Yeah, sickening. Based on my err "logic"? Mexico lost to Netherlands who finished 4th and USA lost to Belgium who got knocked out in the Quarters. This is only ranking in the tournament and not like a fifia ranking thing. Although I think FIFA do have smething similar, could not find it.

You are correct though. I should update the logic to automatically relegate Mexico to last place.

22. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you could argue that in group, US lost to Germany (#1) and Mexico lost to Brazil (#4)

And Mexico lost to Netherlands in regulation time. US only regulation loss was to #1 Germany

23. coachamurton

coachamurton Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as long as you understand we may be able to forgive you momentary lapse of reason

24. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I thought Mexico tied Brazil?

25. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crap, you're right. My bad.

Still USA's only regulation loss was to #1 Germany and Mexico's only regulation loss was to #3 Holland.

Though USA had 2 ties to Mexico's 1.

*Edit, but if they would have had Extra Time in group stage I'm sure that Mexico would have lost