The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

1. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Six of the last eight seasons were outside the Football League. I was pretty surprised they got promoted back up. Warrington is a rugby league town so I doubt that someone would attempt to bankroll Warrington Town into the league. Kings Lynn maybe?

2. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    And Arsenal? I thought United and Arsenal were nailed on top 3? I thought Leicester were nailed on relegation certainties? Or Palace? Or Wolves? Or Bournemouth? Or Sheffield United? Or Aston Villa? Or Brighton? Or Burnley? Or Newcastle? Or Villa? Or Bournemouth? Why are they not all in the Championship? They were all relegation certainties no? Oh wait a minute don't tell me...... they all have sugar daddies and all have chucked money at the club right? So it begs the question doesn't it - who exactly in your opinion SHOULD be in the Premier league? If there was no pro/rel who would be the lucky 20? In your opinion what would banishing pro/rel do for English football other than kill it stone dead? In your opinion would banishing pro/rel turn English football into the world's greatest sports league?

M repped this.
  3. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has what to do with the merits of implementing promotion and relegation into the professional soccer landscape in the United States?

4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm all in favor of pro/rel, when the time is right or when there's a justification, not because it happens in Europe. It won't necessarily make the game any more competitive.

Leicester and Sheffield United are over-performing, Everton are under-performing and Arsenal are only 4 points behind Spurs with a game in hand.

Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Spurs will no doubt finish in the top 7 again and again and again and again.

Certainly other teams will have the odd freak year but mainly their first objective every season will be to get 40 points, unless another CFG or Abramovic comes along.

In the American system there's not much consequence for failure, on the other hand more teams have a chance of winning the title each year. And when a team continually fails we are starting to see the league step in.

HailtotheKing and jaykoz3 repped this.
  5. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the LOL was about ManU ... now it's about game in hand Arsenal?

Imagine that, moving goalposts.

Though, the ever widening gap (a common talking point for pro/rellers here) and money issues have already infected English football and the sores are forming (Bury, Bolton, and there's a third team this season) in FL clubs like they already have below it.

Honestly, I do feel a TIGHTER system of pro/rel with MORE variables than JUST RESULTS would benefit the English system at this point.

JasonMa repped this.
  6. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Man United might still make the Super Playoffs. :thumbsup:

Paul Berry and HailtotheKing repped this.
  7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Arsenal were to get relegated, not sure that would be such a good thing for English football.

8. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I must have jinxed it.

Injuries are still a problem for Bremen. I like Kohfeldt and hope he survives the season. Still, hard to ignore that a year and a half ago we were thinking Europa League and now we're worried about relegation.

9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would be a good thing as it would give everyone hope that the open system still works i.e. anything can happen to any team no matter how much money they have.

Add it stands though Arsenal are more likely to be in the Europa League than the Championship next season.

10. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there's likely a finite number of big clubs that could go down without having a negative effect on the fiscal aspects of the game.

11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little over a week ago, you could get Washington R*****ns tickets for as low as 4 dollars.

Chesco United repped this.
  12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no easy that would be allowed to happen. In such a hypothetical scenario they'd reduce the number of relegation places or introduce relegation playoffs.

I mean look what they've been doing to try and guarantee that the top earning teams compete in Europe.

Did anyone say cartel?

13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Resale?

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Find me one post in this 999 page thread where Newcastle was listed as a relegation certainty. Just one. Otherwise STFU.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  15. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    In the resale market. Don't think it was the R*****ns" that were taking the hit.

And for their failure, they will still be rewarded with better draft choices and an easier schedule.

Expansion Franchise repped this.
  16. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I see Leicester City are having another "freak" season. up to this point...

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they're better prepared this time.

18. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No they won't! Chelsea United and Spurs have all been relegated since I've been going to football and there is NO reason why it can't happen again! Why is it EVERY club doing well you claim is 'overperforming' and EVERY club doing badly you claim is 'underperforming' it's ridiculous! If you think Leicester are 'overperforming' with the team they have then you know nothing about football but what they do prove like countless others in history have proved is that ANY club has the ability and opportunity to win the Premier League.

19. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Why not? English football survived when United, Chelsea, Aston Villa, Man City etc were relegated, what makes Arsenal so special??

20. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Apparently ALL promoted clubs from Leicester to Wolves (including Newcastle of course) are simple 'cannon fodder' destined for nothing but the drop - thats what was claimed! Pro/rel means that promoted clubs like Leicester, Wolves & Burnley will only be happy finishing second from bottom - they couldn't even dream of winning leagues or playing Europen football!........... wait a minute!

21. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah but they're 'one season wonders' it was a 'freak' season, they'll simply finish bottom this year, as a promoted club they can't compete! They'll never challenge again! Lol

22. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't say it was. But players care about this stuff. My point is that even thought they don't have to fear relegation, there's still a consequence to their pride and morale for on- and off-field failure.

23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal themselves aren't special. But I fear the bubble is going to burst someday. There's only so many "big name" teams that a globally marketed brand like the Prem can afford to lose for a season.

I don't think this is a soccer problem or a pro/rel problem so much as a pro sports and big money problem. I kinda fear that we're nearing the "nowhere to go but down" point for big-money team sports. I could very easily be wrong.

HailtotheKing and JasonMa repped this.
  24. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm arguing that whatever the consequences for ownership, the players and coaching staff still have to face playing in a half-empty stadium where their own fans are demoralized and outnumbered by visiting fans. That's a consequence for on- and off-field failure. Not everything is about money.

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again an assertion without evidence. It’s really easy to win arguments when you’re creating straw men and rebutting claims that were not made.