The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So the only reason Everton aren’t Euro champs is that they are crap? Also, while your point regarding Am football is okay ( there are a lot of reasons that game doesn’t work elsewhere) is suggest they do quite a decent job of selling basketball, hockey and baseball. Maybe not in the UK, but the other leagues have pretty decent reach. I’m not saying they match the prem in global popularity but they do export well

2. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yes thats EXACTLY why Everton aren't European champions, its got NOTHING to do with pro/rel and everything to do with the quality of management and players, West Ham get more than twice the support every single home game than Bournemouth have had even once in their 130 year history and yet Bournemouth are 'simply put' a better team who are currently closer than West Ham to being European champions. If a tiny provisional club like Bournemouth can compete in the Premier League then there is NO reason why a traditional heavyweight like Everton shouldn't challenge for the Champions League (I can remember when Everton where arguably the best team in Europe and I am not THAT old!). Of course just because Everton have been in the Premier League since 1955! it doesn't mean that they can't go down this year, next year or in 2055! I'm sorry but people claiming that Everton are just 'happy' to be 6th really really don't know what they are talking about. It took Bournemouth 85 years to obtain their goal of Premier League football 'other' clubs might never get there but believe me they are ALL trying to.

USRufnex repped this.
  3. You know very well, even if they got the money from a sugar daddy coming in those kind of stars arenot going to sign there as the chance to win something is small unless they in one swoop sign a bunch of them. However those superstars have to do at least a season without CL play and that's a nono when you're in your prime. As a club to attract the real superstars you need to be a contender for the title and the CL trophee. That's the problem facing Manunited at the moment. Superstars can get the pay like ManUnited offers at other superclubs, but those atm are clubs aiming for the title of their league and the CL trophee. United isnot.

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you think our sports work here exactly?

When Saturday Comes and MinuteWaltZ repped this.
  5. Cartel?

jaykoz3 repped this.
  6. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, that's a mentality I don't understand -- the desire to go to a superclub that doesn't actually need you to win trophies, and play against inferior opposition every week. In the US, NBA stars get excoriated by the NBA legends of the past when they try to form temporary superteams. The two dominant players of the 80s both said they would have refused to sign with the other's team because they preferred to tesr themselves against each other.

7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see Feyenoord have taken a season off.:p

8. Yeah, spending too much time with planning for the new stadium that will be able to get us bankrupt.
    https://oma.eu/projects/feyenoord-city

9. #24884 feyenoordsoccerfan, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    No, it's also about getting the best out of yourself. If Kevin de Bruyne would play in for instance West Ham United, his qualities go to waste as those players are incapable to understand what KdB intends with his passes like the top quality strikers he now plays with do.
    In fact the quality and total output of KdB would go down.
    It's like putting me on a top notch horse and expect that combo to do as good as the horse is able to with a top quality rider.

10. That's probably they have nothing else as a test. In contrast to European soccer.

11. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I agree, and this is another facet of how the expanded CL is distorting domestic leagues. Let's not forget that in the 1980's Everton were a top team:- two league titles, an FA Cup and a ECWC in the space of a few years. They missed the CL gravy train as by the time the CL was expanded, they had become distinctly mediocre and unambitious. Personally, I'd like to see them relegated rather than plodding on the way they are.

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way FSF, Real Salt Lake now have a Dutchman in charge of their $78 million academy, Arnold Rijsenburg.

13. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How they do what? They produce players rather periodically (especially relative to most EPL clubs). How is that not explaining?

You asked how Everton was in this suspended state ... and I showed how pro/rel has contributed to that. You're in danger of moving the conversation here.

Sure, but what if Stoke was able to say "******** it" and rebuild completely and allocate money/resources to upgrade the stadium and increase capacity (and thus revenue/etc) like they'd wanted to without having to worry about what ended up happening to them?

They've been trying to get out of Goodison since the mid 90s when the original relocation plans were floated. In the early 2000s they had a big retractable roof plan tabled. They've been trying essentially since the EPL came to be.

Again, careful about moving the convo. You asked how they have been what they are for so long. I spoke to how pro/rel helped that status maintain for them.

... and why wouldn't a club be able to rebuild or even try too? Do you honestly think relegation doesn't play in that decision/lack of feasability? Some clubs have just taken the money (Burnley/Fulham) and put it to work.

Originally in the mid 90s to early 2000s they couldn't raise the funds. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/e/everton/2940481.stm

14. #24889 feyenoordsoccerfan, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Money doesnot mean much. The problem with the youth development in the States and in alot of other countries compared to the Netherlands lies in what we call the development pyramid.
    It means at the bottom of the pyramid in a very dense network of amateur clubs kids play and are already judged on potential. So the better kids move up a level in the pyramid and the sifting is done again. In the end at the top of the pyramid those that become top players are there because of that pyramid that ensures we get out of the available material theoptimum result. It's why we as a tiny population continue to be one of the top nations with our national team. Other (small) countries have a good national team as a result of a fluke of a couple of good players and then fade away again and not doing anything in decades.
    That's because of their development system resembles more an obelisk, a tapering pillar than our pyramid. That pillar is a representation of the small base from which the talents are gathered. So you start with a small base and consequently the top talents are less in numbers then from a pyramid system.
    Dutch teams donot have those expensive academies.
    Animation of what the Feyenoord Academy was going to look like.

Opening of it:

kinznk repped this.
  15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the US has some 9,000 USSF affiliated clubs and another 15,000 or so they'd like to bring into the system and those clubs play at all different levels in the pyramid.

Coaching wise
    upload_2019-11-23_20-32-55.png

16. Yeah, I know the numbers in kids playing are big and the number of clubs too.
    With the pyramid isnot simply ment a stratification of clubs in quality, but primarily the kids within the amateur clubs move upwards to competition levels suited to them. When they prove to be too good to stay within the amateur clubs, they move on to the pro clubs academies.
    The point is in the connected network that functions both like a filtering method and a development tool to put the better kids in competition with each other. It has to be systematic and not random and by chance. Competition in our pyramid is part of development and functions as a development tool.
    It's not ment to caress egos.
    From the comments in the various threads about development in the States one thing keeps popping up, the PTP that leads to parents wanting their kids to join a winner and clubs to compete and strive for wins as it generates money, and development thus takes a back seat to winning. Dutch amateur clubs donot exist to make money, they exist to provide their members the chance to play their favourite sport.
    Germany in their overhaul of the youth development didnot even try to copy it as that would take decades and their infrastructure and connectedness of clubs is I guess ahead of the USA.

17. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's not forget that they missed out on playing in Europe due to English teams being banned from European competitions for a short period of time after the Heysel Stadium Disaster. That extra money and prestige may have given Everton a boost prior to the formation of the Premier League. It might not have helped them also, we'll never know.

18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The European Cup wasn't as lucrative as the Champions League. It was pure knockout and only one team from each county took part.

The winners would have played 9 games and some of those would have been walkovers against minnows.

For instance, when Liverpool beat Odense 5-0 at Anfield in 1983 only 14,985 fans showed up.

Plus Everton did reach the final of the Simod/Zenith Data Systems Cup, which was created as a makeup tournament.

M repped this.
  19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether kids pay to attend academies or not will at some point become irrelevant (the sooner the better).

20. Actually I'm not that impressed by his resume. In fact it's bit thin one to put him in charge of the academy. He never was active in the Netherlands anyway, so if they count on the magic fairy Dutch dust it might be a wrong choice.

21. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    we paid a belgian company to assess our academies, our last wc game was a loss to belgium, they have a golden generation going through right now, by god we're going to be as belgian as possible. ANother good showing by croatia in 2022 and I'm expecting a lot of croatian coaches coming on board after we flame out in our home hosted 2026 tourney.....

22. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    In 1983 attendances in English football were at an all time 'low' I for one can tell you that Stamford Bridge (as one example) was a poisonous place to be - hooliganism was the reason, it was killing the game here.

23. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    One reason why pro/rel doesn't stand much a chance is the media. When I had Sky Sports News, they would carry highlights of Hartlepool matches. For a minor league team to get highlights on ESPN, Rodney McCray would have to have run through a wall. I suspect the same would be true of soccer.

HailtotheKing and kinznk repped this.
  24. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24900 Elninho, Nov 27, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    I suspect this comes down mostly to the popularity of the game. When soccer is the overwhelmingly dominant sport, even the third or fourth tier is likely to get more media attention than the top league for any other sport. As far as I can tell, League Two gets more attention in England than all of rugby or all of cricket.

On the other hand, in the US, we have four (arguably five with soccer) major sports fighting for attention. By the time you've covered the top leagues in all the major sports, there isn't much airtime for anything else.

You see the same tendency of a single sport to dominate media coverage in some parts of the US. When I was in high school in Houston in the late 90s, high school football got more coverage in the Houston Chronicle than even MLB or the NHL.