The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24526 Doogh, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    That goes into the rules and guidelines, yes. Not to administer or regulating. Again, USSF doesn't control leagues.

Does NCAA control leagues (or in case conferences)? Does USA Basketball control NBA?

2. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Courts have ruled that the Stevens Act does not give the USSF regulatory authority over the professional game outside of issues directly related to fielding Olympic teams. See Champions World v. USSF. The pro leagues submit to USSF sanctioning not because of any federal law requirement, but rather to keep themselves in good standing with FIFA. Among other things they need to be connected to FIFA in order to participate in the international transfer system.

HailtotheKing, blacksun, JasonMa and 4 others repped this.
  3. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    I do live here - I think M, and clearly Feyenoordfan, don't.

I don't expect law to change. I don't expect much to change, actually, and think that a lot of what peole want for soccer here - competitive natl teams, watchable pro/college/youth soccer - could be achieved in the current system with a lot of creating thinking - we're america after all.

But there is a chance that someone could view SUM as having too muhc influence, and then the arbitration/forming new fed sections could come into play. A longshot, but Friday nights are made for believing in longshots...

4. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    Thanks I was missing that piece...

5. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #24530 Doogh, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    Lawmakers already pressured Garber/SUM to explain what SUM's role is within US Soccer.

Please explain the "too much influence" part?

"Forming new fed" isn't an answer. Its not going to be sanctioned by FIFA and USOPC. Not gonna happen, dude.

6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It only sanctions leagues that actively request to be sanctioned. Yeah, I know.

If an organization feels that USSF is not independent enough, they could complain to CONCACAF, which is run by the Mexican FA, which is in run by LIGA MX (55% of the votes), which is run by 5 ownership groups (16 teams), and uses SUM as its marketing partner.

7. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    I think I did - having the purchase of SUM shares be the gatekeeper for D1 - too much influence.

What if they get a sweetheart deal from some other soccer marketing company?

8. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like Traffic Sports or some Saudi-backed company? Yeah....no.

Then again "what if"

9. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    No not Traffic, or Rocco. I"m just sayin, if you can't take the best deal because it throws off your league structure....that's a lot of influence. Too much? Some say yes, some say no....

10. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Purchasing SUM shares is not required for D1. MLS owners are not required to invest in SUM, and also people could form another league and seek D1 sanctioning.

What if they did? Is there some other company interested in the TV rights to five USA hex home games and a bunch of USMNT and USWNT friendlies? Or, for the 2026 cycle, subtract the hex games.

CrazyJ628, jaykoz3, Doogh and 1 other person repped this.
  11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tend to agree, but I repped M's post because it's certainly something that needs to be closely scrutinized.

12. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    And on cue, the nativism argument.

M repped this.
  13. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    They would need to get D1 sanctioning from the body that is currently bankrolled by the incumbent D1 league.

This is about as textbook of a definition of a conflict of interest as you can get.

So while, no - the PLS does not require purchasing shares in SUM for division 1, this is completely ignoring the reality of our situation.

M and CoachP365 repped this.
  14. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    Really, do you know which MLS teams are free and clear of SUM?

Also, "build a better mousetrap" for those of you playing thread bingo, hasn't been up in about 20 pages or so.

Cartel....

15. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012

So theoretically, a different USSF could view the SUM/MLS relationship differently, and MLS would want to abide in order to stay in FIFA's good graces? I mean, after the lawsuits etc....sound like de facto "USSF has jurisdiction over pro soccer".

I'll now play "then MLS can give up their D1 sanction since they don't need it to do their thing." Which really has to help on the bingo card....

M and Expansion Franchise repped this.
  16. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where do you think that US Soccer's portion of SUM broadcasting money will go to? Offsetting expenses created by US Soccer, since US Soccer is non-profit governing body.

The only "conflict of interest" I see here is Garber being SUM's CEO and having a seat on the professional council table. Yet not illegal.

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as I know no-one has been denied D1 sanctioning.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  18. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hold up...........The USSF annual budget is greater than $35M. The USSF has a multitude of revenue streams outside of their marketing deal with SUM.

https://www.ussoccer.com/governance/financial-information

HailtotheKing, CrazyJ628 and CoachP365 repped this.
  19. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    I'm not sure what this has to do with anything. Are you asking who will bankroll the USSF, if not SUM? I don't see how that's relevant.

A pretty low bar you're setting for the federation there.
    Oh so everything must be above board, then.

20. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Even taking this at face value, that is fully a quarter of their annual revenue, and that's assuming that none of the $50 million in "sponsorships and royalties" don't come from SUM.

21. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're mentioning SUM (a parent company of MLS) as the key component bankrolling US Soccer. Am I misunderstanding you?

Just giving out the realities, dude. You might have problems with it, I do as well.

22. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are the forms they submit to the federal government.........it's public information

HailtotheKing, CoachP365 and Doogh repped this.
  23. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    What I am saying is that there is $50 million in royalties and sponsorships, on top of $32 million from the USMNT. Is SUM directly or indirectly involved in that?

24. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    But what I am saying is that even just that is a full quarter of their revenue. Are we seriously saying that's insignificant to their bottom line?

25. Manchester United lost from Bournemouth, which was equal in points and table standing, so of importance who would hop over the other one.
    Sofar United cruising comfortably for a spot in the top 6 by Christmas.