The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

1. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we're going to pretend the 18 months before Comisso didn't happen? Or that they club has managed to "relegate" from D2 to ... what even are they now? Oh, and how are the leagues they've been in faring with their club first approach? They are a B team now with an owner that just bought an Italian club and is more interested in filing lawsuits than building the club. I can't find NYCosmos attendance numbers for the last two years (some one offs but not season or significant enough games).

Detroit took the first step in going against their long "puffed out chest" stance.

No, you sit in an echo chamber with your fellow pro/rel torch bearing idiot trolls.

I do nothing to fluff your stance or stroke your opinion. I don't see things they way you do (and many others don't either). "Most Americans" is just a thing you've made up ... and the type of thing I call out. Bullshit is just that Jeff. Myself, CrazyJoe, and most everyone else has had PLENTY of discussion on pro/rel (with folks that are for it mind) in this thread, across the forums, on Twitter, and in person. YOU are the common denominator on BigSoccer. YOU are the issue. When you aren't here discussion takes place and people don't get their panties in a twist when they're asked questions or to provide evidence of their claims. YOU are the only one that does that.

That makes no sense. This is a public forum and your first name is public knowledge ... or have you honestly forgotten that you've signed it to posts before? That wouldn't surprise me actually.

So then the football really doesn't matter. If you can't be in the top tier then it isn't worth it to you. Thanks for making that clear.

KCbus and CrazyJ628 repped this.
  2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you wouldn't have followed English soccer or rugby before the 1980s?

And English cricket is still a closed shop.

3. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    The point is that they didn't fold with NASL. They are still an ongoing concern playing competitive games in front of their fans. They will likely be stuck in NPSL for a few years, though, at least until Commisso sells or his lawsuit plays out.
    FWIW, NASL's failures wasn't due to a "club first" approach. It failed because the league was coopted by criminals, morons, and idealogues, among other things.

I'm not sure I follow this at all. Detroit and Chattanooga were at the point where they needed to grow their season to play more games. They tried to form a new league that would let them play more games, without having to change the way they operate. The federation said no. They joined a league that wasn't exactly what they wanted but still allows what they want. What's exactly the criticism here?

4. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Worcestershire won promotion in the year I lived there? Or do you mean first class/minor counties?

5. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're giving those tickets away. I receive texts from their marketing department asking me if I want free tickets before every match so far. If they played in Cony Island like last year I would have taken them up on their offer but alas Uniondale is waaaay to far for me to schlep to.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  6. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did in my previous posts feel free to look at them...

7. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    I assume these are two sides of the same coin (free tickets/Uniondale). There's probably less need for free tickets if they still played at MCU. I've never really got a good handle on why they left, but maybe there was too many scheduling problems with NPSL's short season and trying to work around the Cyclones and RUNY and whoever else plays there.

8. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    They seem to be ok with the club's direction:

HailtotheKing, USRufnex and Paul Berry repped this.
  9. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I read the reason they decided to go with Uniondale was that it's the cheapest option. They had an agreement to use the field as their practice field this season. Previously they played some games in upper Manhattan but they didn't charge for those games, you literally just walked into Baker's Field bleachers. They drew maybe a couple hundred for those games. Apparently the rent for that place wasn't feasible so they went with the cheaper option. It's a damn shame they didn't play in Coney Island since they started to gain some traction playing there.

Expansion Franchise repped this.
  10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are 20 minor counties which are permanently excluded from first-class cricket (well 19 + combined Welsh counties) . I was born in one so I supported the nearest first-class team instead.

11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their traditional fan base is in Uniondale/Hempstead, who they royally peed off by moving the 2016 Soccerbowl to a 2k capacity stadium in Queens.

Cosmos fans also protested at the lack of transparency of the club and ran online campaign to raise money to pay the club's staff.

Sounds just like a club I know.

12. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Then stick to doing that. Thanks.

13. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    They have internal pro/rel but no pro/rel with semi pro minor counties.

14. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Admittedly, cricket baffled me while I lived there. I had to go past the New Road Ground to take my kids to/from school. Half the time it was under a foot of water and the only times I saw matches played were in the middle of the day on weekdays, so it was populated exclusively by pensioners.

Is there no avenue for a minor county to become first class?

15. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just. Like. Clockwork....

HailtotheKing repped this.
  16. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Just. Like. Clockwork....

17. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    #22617 M, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Durham managed it, not sure how. They had to build a new ground- which is now test match standard.

Been to a few games at New Rd. Nice place to watch cricket with the backdrop of the river and the cathedral.

18. https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bunde...ribute-to-deceased-supporters-rb-leipzig-6347
    [​IMG]
    Stadion An der alten Försterei, vanmiddag. © BSR Agency

Union Berlin supporters held aloft pictures of loved ones who had passed away on their Bundesliga debut, increasing the official attendance figure by 455. - © 2019 Getty Images
    bundesliga
    Union Berlin count 455 extra fans in attendance against RB Leipzig in touching tribute to deceased supporters
    3 hours ago

Union Berlin's debut Bundesliga match may not have ended with the desired outcome on Sunday, but the occasion will nevertheless be remembered fondly by the club's supporters following a touching tribute made to fans that have passed away.

The capacity at Union's Stadion An der Försterei is listed as 22,012 but the official attendance for their game against RB Leipzig – which ended in a 4-0 defeat - was given as 22,467. So how come there were 455 extra people there?

Far from contravening security measures, it was instead part of an initiative called "Endlich dabei" (Finally There), organised by Union fan groups Alt-Unionern, together with fan club Eisern V.I.R.U.S. and the Eisernen Botschaftern, following the team's promotion in May – the first time they had ever reached the promised land of the Bundesliga.

As the club's anthem rang out prior to kick-off, fans lifted up 455 banners displaying the faces of supporters who had hoped to one day see their side in the top flight, but had passed away before getting the chance to do so. Fans also paid the price of a ticket for the game – and Union counted their presence in the official attendance.

By holding aloft their pictures, which were 70x70 centimetres in size and accompanied by the caption "Endlich dabei", the home crowd fulfilled the wishes of their loved ones.

"My son had this picture made up," one tearful fan told Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg, showing a picture of her late husband. "My son lives in Rostock but is coming to Berlin for the game. I'm just picking it up for him, but it means everything to our whole family."

HailtotheKing, bigredfutbol and USRufnex repped this.
  19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two counties have been accepted since 1897, Glamorgan and Durham. Among other things becoming a first-class County means switching from playing 2 days a week, with the occasional midweek match, to 7 days a week.

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @M Portland vs. Atlanta should be a hell of a game tonight, if you're not busy at 10pm Eastern.

HailtotheKing and bigredfutbol repped this.
  21. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    It's a really great view from there. Worcester is quite charming. It amazes me that New Road and Pitchcroft I guess are just designed to flood. Because they do. Often.

University of Worcester's sports arena (where the pro basketball team also plays) has a crazy, automatically closing floodwall.

The Severn flooding never ceased to amaze me. For one thing, it was incredibly inconvenient as it required us to take a large roundabout detour to get to the new bridge to get to the kids' school, but also that there are buildings that have just been dealing with the flooding for centuries.

The tidal bore is also a fascinating phenomenon.

M repped this.
  22. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #22622 USRufnex, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    On the contrary, my current twitter followers are far more varied in backgrounds, experiences, and viewpoints than anything I've seen on BigSoccer in at least 10 years.

exempli gratia: Your fellow anti-pro/rel torch bearing idiot trolls which include a BS moderator have predictably repped your post already LOL. Echo chamber, indeed.

23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90 minutes of 2 teams going at each other with pace. Not a single hopeful long ball or any midfield head tennis. FdB has turned things around at ATL, after a less than promising start.

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we're using Colorado I'd point out that in the last 10 years they've had a one and done playoff run (2013), but they've also had a two and done (2011 and 2016) and a MLS Cup victory (2010).

And that's for the the statistically worst team in MLS this decade. So presumably (though I haven't done the analysis to confirm) that's probably about the worst playoff record over the last 10 years, which sucks in quantity (4 appearances) but not horrible in quality (a trophy and a conference final series).

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not 100% sure if you were calling out Jack Walker or Venky's with this phrasing but I don't think it applies to either. Jack is, of course, a legend in Blackburn for what he did with Rovers and nobody would think he did anything financially wrong with the team. Venky's did a lot of things wrong but, at least publicly, there's no sense that they're leveraging the team to their benefit or anything. They were just really, really bad at picking who to trust when they first got into English soccer and it damn near ruined the club. But that was more from their lack of knowledge and understanding of the business side of the game than any real nefarious motives or attempts to use the club as a bank.

(Now there are some Rovers fans who believe the real reason they haven't sold the club is because there are questionable if not illegal business dealings hidden in the books that would be uncovered during a sale, but there's been no real evidence of that reported anywhere outside some pretty biased anti-Venky's sources.)