The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #authentic

#sportingmerit

HailtotheKing and barroldinho repped this.
  2. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    In other news not related to pro/rel the Tulsa Roughnecks bagged 5 goals last in a road win against Orange County grabbing their 4th point in 2 games. Perhaps a worst to first turnaround in the works or a trip to the playoffs is in the works.

3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tulsa Athletic would be able to represent the US in the CCL in a borrowed high school track and field stadium, with lacrosse and field hockey markings on the plastic pitch.

#

[​IMG]

4. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Get back to us when San Marino is awarded hosting rights for the World Cup.

5. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Trolling.

USRufnex repped this.
  6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're suggesting that 2026 is an endorsement of North American systems?

HailtotheKing repped this.
  7. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    No. I'm suggesting that if FIFA wants to tie WC hosting to having pro/rel, it would start with being bothered with countries that are actually going to host. Of course, FIFA is more interested in raking in $$$ from the US than it is with enforcing that.

8. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    San Marino, population: 33,000. C'mon, man.

9. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    The most reasonable argument runs along the lines that communities shouldn't have to be ghetto-ized into bush leagues because a corporate office doesn't feel their market brings enough advertising dollars.

Now, the idea that FIFA would intervene for the opportunity to make less graft... I wholeheartedly agree that they're probably not going to be your knight in shining armor.

10. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    But... I do think that if we ever see pro/rel in the U.S., it will be as a market solution, not as a top-down mandate.

If a league like NPSL Pro or some spiritual successor finds success and is able to grow and have a modicum of stability: once it hits a certain size, I would not be surprised to see it there (especially since it's outside of the PLS, so more forgiving to the teams getting promoted, etc.). I would also not be too surprised if USL doesn't reach to pro/rel should interest in the league dry up when the MLS pipeline dries up and, especially, if a rival league, competing more or less at a similar level, has it.

But the key here, still, is we need the clubs, which is why, I think, if it's going to happen, it's going to be something along the NPSL side.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USL is hardly a bush league and MLS didn't evolve like most European leagues but was a result of a handful of businessmen willing to risk $100 millions.

12. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    Let's cool our jets here. All of the top drawing USL teams have MLS ambitions. Except maybe the Rowdies. I think we need to see what happens when USL is no longer seen as a path to MLS. League One is probably a better litmus test whether or not USL is bush league.
    Not really relevant to what I was saying, though.

13. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enforcing what exactly? It's not an ironclad rule or requirement. It's a suggested guideline. So what, exactly, would FIFA be enforcing?

14. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    So I went to FCC’s MLS home opener. It was such an empty, inauthentic experience, and the other 32,249 people there felt exactly the same way.

I can’t tell you much better it would have been, not just if something were truly at stake, but if we had fans who understood that soccer and promotion and relegation were identical. Those are the real fans America needs. Maybe they can show up to future games show us what we’re doing wrong.

I understand they couldn’t this week, what with no tickets being available to anyone who didn’t want a fake, plastic simulation of true football. But Cincinnati won’t sell out the entire year, I’m sure our cultural superiors can make it once or twice

15. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Some argue that it's a requirement, some that it's not... anyway, it wasn't me that raised this issue of what FIFA might or might not do so why don't you ask the poster that did?

16. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Gibraltar has a similar number, most of its teams play in the same stadium and they have pro/rel.

San Marino had pro/rel then abolished it and put all the clubs in one division.

Point being: if pro/rel is a "must", there's no reason why San Marino should be excluded.

CrazyJ628 and HailtotheKing repped this.
  17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The San Marino system is similar to MLS with two conferences and an unbalanced schedule.

barroldinho and HailtotheKing repped this.
  18. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and? They can support 15 teams. The POINT is about the selective application/other factors involved in this discussion. San Marino's clubs/NT are allowed to participate in all FIFA sanctioned events.

They don't have pro/rel.

The issue with that though, is that there's no reasonable argument that says any of these places have any right to be in MLS. Literally zero reasonable argument. That simply isn't how business works, and yes this is about business regardless of what pro/rel people will say to the contrary.

USL is far from bush league btw.

19. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    There is no pro/rel because every team plays in the same division! I'm not exactly sure why this is your exemplar against pro/rel.
    1/3 of the clubs are reserve sides (literally farm teams), but that wasn't even my point. Let's see what the Championship looks like after the speculation dies down.

20. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They do now, yes .... they didn't before. They actually GOT RID of pro/rel. It's an example of the overall issue with the p/r debate. Things, such as this, exist that are swept under the rug or people (as you're doing here) try to dismiss it.

It's really hard to hold up FIFA mandates or anything from FIFA in regards to the US and p/r when there's a myriad of examples around the world of where they don't stick to their own rhetoric. It also exposes the p/r brigade as hypocritical at best.

San Marino is a singular point on the bigger list ...

There are 9 OFFICIAL reserve sides (if available information is accurate/up to date) ... that's not 1/3 of the clubs.

Why the need to try and justify it? USL is getting investment from NON MLS chasing enterprises as well. Fresno, New Mexico, Austin (the other group), Memphis, Hartford, Birmingham ....

21. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    I don't quite know how to counter the San Marino thing: the country, which is about size of a large amusement park, has all their teams in one division. So, no, there's no pro/rel because there's nowhere to go from/to.

I think you're also misinterpreting my original point: I'm just saying the most defensible point that the pro/rel set has is that teams should determine at what level they can play at: not the leagues to maximize revenue. I have a hard time understanding how any fan could really argue against this on a purely idealistic level, honestly. Note I also said that it was delusional to think that FIFA would intervene with regards to this. I'm not calling for the death of MLS or USL or that I don't understand how we got to where we are: just that in most ideal situation clubs should have some agency to their station.

Also, you're leaving out Reno and RGV which, while independently owned, are wholly run operationally by the Earthquakes and Dynamo, respectively. That gets you to 31%, so you can do the math for a more accurate fraction.

22. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    But again, let's check back in to the league when Nashville, Sacramento, St. Louis, and Phoenix are all gone or replaced with reserve teams.

23. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? Literally gave you 6 non MLS aspiring NEW investments/clubs into the league. Why are you just dismissing that? Why, if they don't go to MLS do they have to be replaced with reserve teams? Who says they will be?

I actually didn't know about Reno so I looked it up. Appears that it is like a HS to JH level involvement. Hired Russell and SJ is leading the technical/x-o's of the team but the club itself is run by Reno folks (again, what I could find). I think that falls between an actual reserve side and just an affiliation like SAFC/NYCFC.

Still, why are you refusing to judge the USL as it is? It isn't like the assessment can't change if the USL does. It is quite clear they aren't making the mistakes that the NASL did.

Dan Loney repped this.
  24. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I don't know people's names here, if you are using someone's real name without permission (or changing a name to be sarcastic), please stop.

This sounds an awful lot like a you problem to be honest - you are basically announcing that nothing we can do can stop him from getting your goat.

Believe me, I know how one poster can make a forum and a discussion toxic and BigSoccer has a long history of removing the individual for the sake of the majority. But that doesn't excuse adults from getting a grip and this isn't really a home fan forum (where mob/majority rules).

I'm not really interested in hearing about the history or making deals or brokering peace so people will behave - we now have a handy method for thread banning and it makes our jobs easier.

But we also have an ignore tool - if keeping access to this thread is some kind of priority, the ignore tool can help ensure that one doesn't lose it.

M repped this.
  25. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Not sure you understand what ignore means or how the function works. Not interested in hearing about "tried" either.