The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

barroldinho and HailtotheKing repped this.
  2. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm............here's an actual plan, and people actually working towards possibly implementing Pro/Rel in the USA.........

Then again, the Bro/Relots will rail against this because it's coming from USL.............

3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They already have, you must have missed that exchange.

barroldinho repped this.
  4. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

HailtotheKing and barroldinho repped this.
  5. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just tried to pass it off.

You know, that kind of behavior has an actual term associated with it. Just saying.

You can't even be honest about yourself.

I love the smell of irony in the morning.

Honestly, with pro/rel I'm not so sure that SA WOULD benefit overall. The groundwork the Crocketteers put in with the fans and the base built by the Scorpions had zero pressure or outside factors to deal with. It was allowed to grow "organically" as it saw fit. The street level love and hand in hand building of what exists in SA now happened because of the people there. SSE took over and left the vast majority of that in the hands of the people that built it, the fans ... why? Because they had no reason or outside force to keep them from doing so. There were no extraneous organizational pressures, no perceived levels of what had to be done, and no contrived sense of meaning. All that matters is the fans and the club, period. The continued integration of the youth set up and community presence has been allowed to take hold because it can be a major focus.

I, nor you cannot honestly say that pro/rel would have benefited the situation at all. I can absolutely see where it potentially could have hurt it.

There are! The ones here on BigSoccer haven't had you in them though. I'd say that's odd, but the others I have elsewhere don't include you either ...

Is that the link to the 2008 Sunil quote again or .... ?

You can also pretend like that keeps them from taking pot shots and running your mouth about them. It doesn't but ...

What was the problem before your change of heart?

In your echo chamber that probably is true ... but then again your echo chamber throws in with a guy that tells women to get in the kitchen and make him a sandwhich soooooo your labeling of people likely doesn't have the mileage you think it does.

Yet you are compelled to keep posting. That's sad.

We're aware of what you don't want. We're also aware of which hand will fill first if you want in one hand and shit in the other. The problem for you and your 'want' is that the talking heads and most visible people are people like you.

Until that changes, NOTHING will.

barroldinho repped this.
  6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Longer season would be great.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's keep the discussion focused.

M and Expansion Franchise repped this.
  8. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, but that is an actual issue that permeates HERE as well as there, as he's stated that crap on these boards too.

I feel it is relative as an exhibit of his inability and unwillingness to do anything but actual discuss the topic at hand. It spilled well over the line long ago and he is STILL pushing a real life narrative on me.

He wants to continue to push how his labeled group of people act on twitter, then he should be open to his behavior there as well.

barroldinho repped this.
  9. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sooooooooooooooooo.............anyone see where a US based league is exploring the possibility of implementing Pro/Rel??? Does USL not count anymore???

10. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I find the progress they're making to be quite exciting. They're going about it the right way.

Both MLS & USL have also mentioned wanting Solidarity Payments & Training Compensation adopted, which could be a big help in youth development.

bigredfutbol and Roger Allaway repped this.
  11. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I’ll believe it when I see it. They’ll need to start investing in the parachute payment fund now if they’re going to try

Expansion Franchise repped this.
  12. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    I agree. My feeling is that this is just talk, to appeal to the base. It's like me telling our kids we're "considering" going to Disney World. Sure we've "considered" it (and decided "hell no"), but it's a useful non-commitment that might keep their attention for a little while.

13. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On this point, I have no doubt that MLS would genuinely prefer to have solidarity payments and training compensation apply in the US. The amounts MLS may owe to youth clubs is dwarfed by the amount MLS would have collected via academy players signing in Europe and Mexico.

barroldinho repped this.
  14. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm focused on what they're actually DOING and THAT is down right unreal. They can speak to pro/rel (either with lip service or true intent) due to what they're doing on the business side. Their approach has been beyond strategic and aimed at giving themselves room to make mistakes.

I'm beyond impressed. Sure as hell are a more professional organization than MLS at this point.

15. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    USL is growing into my main focus domestically. Mostly because I finally started to embrace my local team, but the new branding/structure is intriguing. Clearly they're not closing the door on bigger ambition down the line. Pro/rel here at least seems in the realm of possibility compared to MLS, so I'm surprised USL is so often placed in the "evil" pot by that certain segment of U.S. soccer fans.

barroldinho repped this.
  16. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    USL is doing good things, to be sure, but they're not out of the woods yet and they're not really expanding to the markets that they should be in order to solidify things. St. Louis and Phoenix are gone in the next five years. Tampa and Charlotte might be gone too, and I wouldn't count out Las Vegas, Indy and San Antonio bolting to MLS. Austin USL is going to be dead soon too.

USL needs to start locking down cities like Baltimore, Cleveland, Buffalo, Milwaukee and the like. They should also try to get a team on Long Island and maybe Trenton NJ. I want USL to be successful but until they stop being a stepping stone to MLS, they're going to be D2-4 permanently pro/rel or no.

17. Just in case it is misunderstood, training compensation is only payed by the club that gives a kid from another academy (or academies, if the kid moved) the first pro contract.

18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USL is the bane of you know who and his buddies because of the franchise model (NASL was also a franchise), the steep costs of meeting divisional standards (a NASL co-initiative), MLS affiliations (didn't NASL also want to affiliate with MLS teams?), the "poaching" of NASL teams (the owners paid to get out of an alleged corrupt and failing organization) and territorial rights, which I have some sympathy with (though I can't imagine NASL would ever have allowed two teams in the same media market).

jaykoz3 repped this.
  19. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll nip that stuff in the bud going forward, as well.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  20. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about outer-suburb type places?

I have a feeling the Loudoun team here in Northern VA might be successful even though DC has an MLS team.

21. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Isn't that DC's farm team?

I'm sure they can be successful but there's a contingent among the USL try-hards that thinks USL will eventually try to go D1. I'm not one of them despite being a fan of USL as a whole. If USL wanted to go D1, then they'll need to get a lock on a few markets long-term rather than seeing teams like Cincy, St. Louis, Orlando, Phoenix, etc all go to MLS.

Why USL isn't in Virginia Beach/Norfolk already is beyond me.

USL is an American-style league in the truest sense. MLS is the only single-entity model that we have whereas USL is more in line with the NBA or NFL. You're right though. USL would only allow two teams in a city if that metro area could handle it. I could see a San Francisco and Oakland team, for example. You won't see another USL team in a place like Tampa Bay though.

HailtotheKing and bigredfutbol repped this.
  22. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    I don't think NASL was a franchise league - the clubs ran the league, what makes you think that it was?

FWIW, more than closed leagues or tanking for draft picks or what have you, I personally feel that the franchise model is the single worst aspect of American sports. It's anti-competitive, enables inept and absentee owners and poor performance/tanking, and sucks for the fans in a city with owners that know that they have a monopoly on the hearts and minds of fans in the region.

23. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I see the Oakland/LA/Oakland/Las Vegas Raiders are still looking for a city to play in next season. Anyone want to pony up to help them out?

Oh, and in the current edition of "let's get taxpayers to pay for a stadium", come on down the Washington Redskins:

https://wtop.com/dc/2018/12/d-c-stadium-opponents-hailno-to-redskins/

Tough to know which is worse - funding Trump's wall or funding a stadium for a rich owner operating in a closed league.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  24. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Daniel Snyder is worth $2.3bn and owns a lucrative NFL team.

Let him pay for his own stadium.

It continues to baffle me that locales and patrons don't simply take a stand on this.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the idea but you paid a chunk up front to join and a chunk to leave:

Edmonton owner Tom Fath on leaving NASL:

“I’ve always believed in the NASL and I’ve always supported them, but the primary thing is that our franchise, the way it’s turned out since we started in November 2009, it’s not sustainable the way it is right now".