The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

1. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the "were available" part that's my issue. You blame MLS for the lack of such; I don't.

We'll see.

Two wrongs don't make a right. You won't find me defending the league on the Crew situation.

2. The411

The411 Member

Oct 12, 2013
    The problem is that instead of realizing that the growth of soccer is dependent on development of soccer in all areas, MLS decided that it would be located in certain areas.

While this works in the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL the MLS doesn’t have access to 99.9% of the world’s talent. That’s why a single entity league will limit growth and will ultimately fail.

Had MLS been smart they would have worked with USSF at the beginning and said we have a plan for a multi tiered league set up but we’re going to do what the pro/rel set-ups do and put in minimum requirements for promotion and for the associated leagues. Therefore the potential for promotion/relegation would exist but it would not be available until there was the appropriate financial stability in place.

Now absent that plan none of the owners want pro-rel and we’re seeing abuse by the league, which is turning even more people off to MLS.

USRufnex, bigredfutbol and M repped this.
  3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe @jond has made a similar argument.

4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turning people off in terms of bigger attendances and TV audiences?

5. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What on earth do you mean by MLS doesn't have access to 99.9% of the world's talent? Are soccer players banned from the US/Can for some reason?

MLS has access to 100% of all the pro players in the world - just like the NBA and NHL. That's why the growth since 2001 has been phenomenal. And I think people that are still predicting Single Entity MLS to fail are cute.

HailtotheKing and Mr Wonderful repped this.
  6. Mr Wonderful

Mr Wonderful Member

Jan 19, 2015
    The Shores of Puget Sound
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    #9781 Mr Wonderful, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Firstly, development of professional athletes does not correlate directly to development of professional sports fans. I'd wager that a majority of NFL fans have never played a down of organized football in their lives. I'd wager that similar is true of the other top 4 pro sports leagues in this country. Personally I had never watched, much less played, a single minute of soccer in my life until I turned 32. I've since watched tens of thousands of minutes of professional soccer in several leagues.

Since I began watching MLS ten years ago the league has grown by every conceivable measurable metric: number of teams, total number of fans, average number of fans, value of media rights, value of sponsorship rights, players salaries...

I'm genuinely curious what you think will happen going forward that will cause the league's failure.

7. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Sorry, but that has got to be one of the most naively obtuse posts I've ever read.

When would a USSF who has been, at the very least, manipulated by MLS; and at the most, overwhelmingly controlled by MLS, ever certify a new league as a co-D1 alongside MLS?

8. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't argue that. He argued that, if pro/rel is the obviously superior system and would naturally attract more investment capital, a rival pro/rel league would supplant MLS in popularity and force the USSF's hand.

You could argue that as long as MLS has the USSF sanction a rival league could not find the room to maneuver the market realities enough to actually make that happen. But it's not impossible--nobody says you cannot start your own league with pro-rel if you chose to.

barroldinho repped this.
  9. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    #9784 USRufnex, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    If he's arguing "if pro/rel is the obviously superior system" that anyone can start a rival league, it's yet another strawman from your side, Red.

Silva obviously has the money to start such a league from scratch, but he didn't. Not because single entity MLS is a "superior system," but because MLS has a 20 year head start and is already entrenched with SUM and (in bed with?) the USSF bureaucracy.

The NASL moved from a goal (pre-Cosmos/Peterson) of being the strongest D2 it could be and a financial improvement over Marcos's USL-1... to a league telling potential owners of its intent to be to MLS what the AFL and ABA had been to the NFL and NBA respectively.... gotta get to work, then 3 hours of rehearsal after an 8 hour day, otherwise would write more....

Three years ago today marks my change of heart in favor of Pro/Rel for this country....

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/the-case-for-pro-rel.2009269/page-74#post-31523872

10. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So pro/rel isn't a superior system?

You've honestly never seen the argument that single-entity discourages the growth of the sport and discourages investment and support? Isn't one of the arguments in favor or pro/rel that many soccer fans in the USA are turned off by single-entity?

Have a good day at work. Check in when you can.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  11. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Because by their own words, they are obligated to grant that designation to any league that meets the criteria.

MLS can "manipulate" and "control" all it wants, but good luck winning that antitrust lawsuit if a league meets D1 criteria and USSF fails to grant it.

And before we get into the "moving goalposts" argumnent, if USSF changes any such requirement, existing leagues have a 3 year grace period to comply.

All of which ignores the USSF bending over backwards to save the league that openly and aggressively claimed to aim to compete with MLS, when they could have stood by and watched it collapse under its own incompetence.

Before "giving them enough rope" is alleged, I'll ask; to what end?

In the areas where MLS and USSF are shitty about things, they often barely pay lip service to giving a toss. Yet they need to make sure that they're seen to aid an MLS rival by literally going out of their way to prevent an organic and deserved demise? When the well-run outfits can still find a place in the MLS-affiliated USL or the semi-pro leagues?

There's no evidence that D1 wouldn't be granted where warranted.

HailtotheKing and Elninho repped this.
  12. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Depends on who you're asking.
    Think about that for a minute and let it sink in.

13. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was asking you.

I was also pointing out that if one doesn't think it's a superior system in some way, there's no earthly reason to risk what we've got chasing after it.

14. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    It is for the professional sport as a whole. For a major league? Almost certainly not; it's far easier to make money when allowed to operate as an effective cartel. Therein lies the rub.

And, as has been discussed on here before, the USSF's current divisional requirements effectively assume a closed league model.

HailtotheKing and bigredfutbol repped this.
  15. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #9790 barroldinho, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    This is entirely fair. The USSF criteria doesn't even address the prospect of what would occur if MLS split into two hierarchical divisions. Would the MLS Second Division be allowed to admit clubs that only meet current D2 standards, without them being counted against (and potentially detracting from) MLS's meeting criteria for D1 status? Would they be required to institute MLS Division 2 as an actual separate D2?

With that said, USSF would probably just introduce criteria when the scenario arose, so I doubt it would be a serious problem.

Regardless, it's ridiculous for the governing body of a sport to operate so re-actively, especially as pro/rel is at the very least, a common approach to the sport they oversee.

HailtotheKing and bigredfutbol repped this.
  16. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure that's so big a deal. USL has stated plans to operate at both D2 and D3 levels in the near future. The assumption everyone seems to be working from is that it would be treated as two separate leagues.

17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt that.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  18. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agreed and like I said, I think USSF will cross that bridge when they come to it. @M is correct though... the rules for designating league status are written with closed leagues assumed.

From what I've seen of the USSF (and to a point, MLS), it feels like they either lack the willingness or aptitude to plan things out.

Just look at the "Designated Player" rule. It baffles me that they literally had to wait for David Beckham to express serious interest, to get around to making a provision in the cap rules, so clubs could make a transformational superstar signing if available.

But it feels more lackadaisical than nefarious (wow, I totally wouldn't word it like that in real life).

19. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, that was an MLS rule, not a USSF rule. ;) Second, MLS already had several high pay players on their rosters at the time that Beckham was signed. Donovan, Ruiz, and Eddie Johnson were all grandfathered into the rule. Third, in the early years, MLS's sponsors would sometimes throw in money to help pay for certain players. Fourth, prior to Beckham, MLS was more worried about surviving the current season than bringing in transformational players like Beckham.

HailtotheKing and barroldinho repped this.
  20. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be mistaken but I feel in many who want single-entity to remain want that because they live in fear of their club being relegated. Perhaps also there is the crowd who say "this is the way it's always been done in the U.S." i.e. the NFL/MLB/NHL/NBA paradigm when dealing with soccer in the U.S. The rest of the world is doing soccer incorrectly I guess........

USRufnex repped this.
  21. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9796 Yoshou, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    It’s not a matter of the rest of the world doing anything wrong. It’s more that people don’t see a need for it..

I’d also counter your comment with that it has been my observation that people in favor of pro/rel in this country think pro/rel is somehow an integral part of soccer and that it can’t succeed without it. There also is a strong belief that It is magic sauce that will cure all that ails the sport in this country.

22. SCOUTED94

SCOUTED94 New Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Dec 12, 2017
    That goes more towards the US's infatuation with the bottom line. The MLS (as well as the NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB) are extremely well run from a financial aspect. Whereas most footballing clubs around the globe suffer financial losses year in and year out. With the current setup of Professional Football in America teams in the MLS have no incentive to relinquish their status in the highest division. What incentive do they have to instill a pro/rel system?

23. SCOUTED94

SCOUTED94 New Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Dec 12, 2017
    It isn't a magical cure that will lead to a higher quality product, but it will allow for a new influx of talent to be shown on the National level. It also prevents teams from not maximizing their salary cap (which is for a different discussion, because the concept doesn't work in the footballing world) and putting profit margins over the on-field product. Its easy to sit back and be mediocre. More money leads to potentially better results, whereas sitting and doing nothing guarantees mediocrity or worse.

THOMA GOL repped this.
  24. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It takes a LOT of money to do this. I don't think many of us--myself included--appreciate that.

Owning a pro sports team or league is a terrible investment.

25. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd wager that you are, in fact, mistaken.

I like pro/rel, and I love soccer. If DC United had been relegated, they would still be my club, I would still go to games, I'd still support them.

Thing is--I doubt they would survive. It's not fear of relegation, it's fear of elimination.