News: The All Encompassing Borussia Dortmund World Cup Thread. Everyone is welcome here.

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by Cris 09, May 8, 2014.

1. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Deutschland

Germany's provisional World Cup squad

Goalkeepers: Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich), Roman Weidenfeller (Borussia Dortmund), Ron-Robert Zieler (Hannover).

Defenders: Jerome Boateng (Bayern Munich), Erik Durm (Borussia Dortmund), Kevin Grosskreutz (Borussia Dortmund), Benedikt Howedes (Schalke), Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund), Marcell Jansen (Hamburg), Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich), Per Mertesacker (Arsenal), Shkodran Mustafi (Sampdoria), Marcel Schmelzer (Borussia Dortmund).

Midfielders: Lars Bender (Bayer Leverkusen), Julian Draxler (Schalke), Mario Gotze (Bayern Munich), Leon Goretzka (Schalke), Andre Hahn (Augsburg), Sami Khedira (Real Madrid), Toni Kroos (Bayern Munich), Max Meyer (Schalke), Thomas Muller (Bayern Munich), Mesut Ozil (Arsenal), Marco Reus (Borussia Dortmund), Andre Schurrle (Chelsea), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern Munich), Kevin Volland (Hoffenheim), Matthias Ginter (Freiburg).

Forwards: Lukas Podolski (Arsenal), Miroslav Klose (Lazio).

On Khedira;
    "We believe that he has positive perspective," Loew told a news conference. "He owes it to his will, his discipline and his determination.

"He belongs to those players, who can make a difference for the team, on and off the pitch. We have every hope that we can lead him to the highest burdens that a World Cup entails."​

2. chewz

chewz Member+

Sep 13, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Whose gonna play that Left Back position?

Lahm as the six or RB?

Hummels and Reus should be playing, although CB pairing could still be Boa and Mertersacker.

How many cuts will there be? 7? Predictions on who would have been cut.

Draxler, Mustafi, Jansen, Ginter, Hahn would be my first five but I have trouble picking the next two. Haven't been paying attention to any Scheisse player so I can't comment on them without bias :whistling:;):ROFLMAO:

3. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Neuer
    Lahm boateng Hummels KG
    Bastian
    Gotze ozil Kroos Reus
    Muller

Seacrest out...

4. Vlad S.

Vlad S. Member+

May 6, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Add Meyer and Gorezka to the list and that would be seven. I would also consider kicking Howedes out, and keeping Ginter instead. Use Ginter as an emergency substitute in case two of our three regular CB's get injured during the tournament, same for DM scenario.

5. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Can we please not have the Dortmund players playing? We need them to stay fresh for gegen pressing all year next year. Besides I am not a die Mannschaft fan so watching them choke in the continental of int'l stage is....well fun.

6. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    The world cup is another level of football. Representing Germany on this stage is the greatest honour. If I was a player chosen, I'd make my decision to go instantly.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  7. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, a lower level. But it's a marketing success. The commercial exposure is phenomenal. It's a festival for the bandwagon fans and they flock in droves.

z0mb1e repped this.
  8. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I love international footy!!! :)

9. Arlo

Arlo Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    would love to see how belgium does, their squad looks quite nice on paper

10. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Subbed. And international World Cup footy is the best. Screw anyone who says different.

Epitome990 repped this.
  11. chewz

chewz Member+

Sep 13, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Screw international footy its boring. :p

12. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Int'l football is boring. If not for the ridiculous amount of money spent on marketing, not many players would be riled up to play their hearts out, nor would we want to watch it.

You're talking about comparing a team that has been strategically built and trained together everyday on the minute tactical details vs. a bunch of players whose common thread is a language and have been thrown together and train a couple of days every 3 months or so. I'll subscribe to BuLi TV, buy Dortmund merchandise and perhaps even get tickets to watch them play because I love my club and club football. But I'd just as sooner kick Sepp Blatter in the head repeatedly for a month than partake in this hedonistic quadrennial festival.

13. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Everything you say is correct, but I always found international football to be perhaps.... A "purer" form of football. Its much more restrictive in terms of player movement. If Uruguay develops and caps a player like Luis Suarez, they can keep Luis Suarez, gameplan around Suarez, and no one can take that player away. Also the sense of scale feels far grander than club football, where it's just between two clubs in a couple cities and at the top level, has very few players actually from the city or feel connected to it, but rather the intent is generally more mercenary. Compared to the WC whereby the best players from all around the world converge, and the sense of scale in a "Germany vs Brazil" simply feels larger in significance for the number of people with a stake in the outcome than "Madrid vs Barcelona", a much smaller, more regional matchup if you stripped the marketing away from it, to use your term.

Maybe I might just prefer it because my first exposure to the sport was international rather than club, so I'll simply hold it in higher regard if for no other reason than its what gave me this beautiful game. I'm okay with that.

14. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #14 Cris 09, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    Player pl;ay their hearts out because it is another world stage for them to perform to get ahead in club football. You think Oezil and Khedira would have gone to Real Madrid if it weren't for their 2010 South Africa performance? Perhaps....but it was certainly a major factor.

I also, as Sammer mentioned, enjoy the fact that your player is your player....not a mercenary that can go from club to club. Sure we see some nationalized payers making a switch, but I'm ok with the FIFA rules. I understand that if some one is a dual citizen they can p[lay for whatever team will give them more playing time.

15. bvbSlash

bvbSlash Member+

Jan 7, 2014
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #15 bvbSlash, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    I find this very interesting because my exposure to football was via int'l matches rather than club. But the gap is quite obvious. I am jaded by int'l football. FIFA's impact on the countries and the workers who are made to suffer are deplorable. I find the "world cup fans" to be worse than plastic fans. Somebody who knows a name beyond Neymar, Kaka and Ronaldinho become football pundits for the summer and hold water cooler discussions around the next fixture list predictions. I love talking football but these tools have no clue. Since I have to deal with them everyday you can understand how annoying it gets.

Outside of this, you are right about the sense of scale and how it "feels" grander and your player is your players forever. But hey different strokes for different folks. I like the idea of being able to build a team. I couldn't care less who wins the world cup. The only way I find it worthy of my time is to see how it impacts Dortmund for next season.

z0mb1e repped this.
  16. Vlad S.

Vlad S. Member+

May 6, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So Jansen was omitted from Germany's preliminary squad, along with Goretzka, Meyer, and Hahn. Christoph Kramer has been included.

Jansen was one player I was worried to have in the squad as it may have prevented Durm from going to the WC. Looks like Durm is safe now, being the only left-back replacement for Schmelzer. Looks like all six of our guys will be on the plane to Brazil then :)

17. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Some major news occurring over the last few days.

Uruguay; Suarez will need knee surgery and he may miss the WC all together. Others say he is supposed to be back in time, but will he be fit? I'm not sure how Uruguay will look with out him.

Germany; Lars Bender injured in training. Bender will not be going to Brazil leaving Germany with Kroos, a non-fir Schweini and an ultra non-fit Khedira. Time to call up Seba Kehl???

USA; No WC for Landykuchen as Klinsi leaves him out for not being "German" enough. ;) Seriously, maybe his Cambodian sabbatical was not the right thing to do at the time he did it. But hey, he can now trek Nepal this summer.

18. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Are you serious?! Well, I guess we'll be starting Kroos and Schweinsteiger. Either that or Kramer.

19. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hope not. It hasn't worked at any point for Germany or Bayern. I still think we see lahm and schweini as a double 6. Loew isn't going to spring any major formation surprises on us.

With all of the injuries to our CMs Loew has no choice other than move Lahm to midfield.

20. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yep, it is beginning to like like that, isn't it.

21. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just like his hand was forced in 2010 with Ballack's injury.

22. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  23. Nick (SATVLog)

Feb 15, 2014
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4-3-3 with Lahm deep @ CM. Durm and Schmelzer @ FBs. Reus @ LW, Goetza @ RW, and Mueller @ CF

Vlad S. repped this.
  24. swit0539

swit0539 Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Sydney
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    ............... Neuer...................
    ..KG....Merte....Hummels....Durm
    ........ Lahm.....Khedira
    ......Mueller....Goetze.....Reus
    ................Klose....................

big shame that Gundogan can't be there. He's their best MC

25. swit0539

swit0539 Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Sydney
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    ^ ^^^

Or replace Klose with mueller and have Draxler at RW (he plays right yes?).
    Imagine draxler, kotze and reus attacking mf. That's a lot of technique!