The agenda of the left

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I apologize for the sentiment. I waited a long time to have a team, and I bashed MLS constantly because it seemed they were trying to go everywhere but ATL. Now I want this league to grow and I wish every club could be like AUFC. It's not right for a 22 year-old league to have an expansion club with no titles yet as its flagship.

Deadtigers and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not right for a 22-year old league to abandon the city that created it. Imagine if the NHL abandoned Detroit or Toronto in 2015. Imagine if the NFL abandoned Green Bay or Pittsburgh. Columbus is synonymous with American soccer and they're gonna piss off everyone who remembers why Columbus Crew stadium is special.

Deadtigers, stanger, NaBUru38 and 6 others repped this.
  3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    You can forget this. The Nixon administration proposed this in the early 70's and you know how much the Republicans hate when Democrats use their ideas. :)

4. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    The flaming scoreboard, right?

5. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, it will always be the place where Gino Padula got red-carded for looking at Cuauhtemoc Blanco the wrong way, but snuck back onto the field to watch the rest of the game right in front of my seat. My wife took me on one of our first dates there. She has a signed jersey of Frankie. And I'm a relative newcomer.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Now that's a wife.

I have a friend who waited on marriage until he found a woman who would think that his Chicago Bulls season tickets were not something to be worked around, but something cool, because that's what she always wanted.

It took him more than a decade, but he found her, eventually.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She took you?

I've found a pic of AB

upload_2017-10-18_15-59-55.png

Deadtigers and American Brummie repped this.
  8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, wait, how is Atlanta the flagship?

Plus Seattle has been the flagship (and LAG) since they came in as an expansion team, so the league is used to it.

Deadtigers and American Brummie repped this.
  9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is capping an insurance premium you pay for a program that caps the benefit you receive class welfare?

superdave repped this.
  10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liberals always miss this point. Philosophically, you're clearly right.

But you know what? I'm so old I remember back to 1983 when the rich and everyone else made a deal to raise SS taxes to plug the gaping chest wound in our budget caused by Reagan's tax cuts, with the understanding that when the bill for Baby Boomers' retirements came due we would make up the money via income taxes. Since the rich reneged on the deal, ******** 'em.

Deadtigers, rslfanboy and JohnR repped this.
  11. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

In addition to all of the inequities caused by RTW, it also means that an employer that wants to have a union shop cannot do so by government mandate. This smacks of big government and, yet, Republicans love this law.

Deadtigers and xtomx repped this.
  12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, I would vote for lifting the cap on the rich and for payroll taxes on capital gains (I am a no on means testing).

But lets not bullshit ourselves, if that is class warfare, it is us that are waging the war, the social security program was not supposed to be that. It was wealth transfer from the young to the few lucky old.

Now we can vote to make it wealth transfer from the upper income getters to all other workers, or non workers if we get rid of S.S. and go for UBI.

selling that to AARP would be difficult.

13. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I've never heard a compelling reason for an employer to actually want a union shop. I've never had a union job and have worked for a non union company for 20+ years prior to going on my sabbatical so I am biased. Doesn't help having a well known anti-union labor lawyer for an uncle either. I'm open to any insight you could offer me into such a position.

Deadtigers repped this.
  14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Because not all employers are money grubbing assholes. Some actually want to provide a living wage for their employers, as well as the other protections of unionization. It is also somewhat easier to provide one contract for everyone, as opposed to having to "negotiate" with each employer.

There is a car dealership in Chicago that is running advertisements declaring that they are a proud union shop. There was a recent mechanics strike and their mechanics were picketing because it was required during then negotiations.

Essentially their point was that they support the mechanics and looking forward to them getting the deal that they deserved. The contract was resolved, the strike ended and they were back to work.

I am in a union (as an adjunct college professor), but my main job is at a very small organization.

I have worked for union and non-union places. I have been a union steward in the past.

If I was an employer, I would welcome the union. I believe in a (relatively) level playing field and ONLY organized labor can do that. The power differentials between employer and employee are so great that only be organizing can the employees have a chance.

15. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    ....and then the Bulls began to suck.
    Now, he is stuck with the wife AND the season tickets.

Deadtigers and roby repped this.
  16. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I guess your mileage may vary. I’m in an industry that is heavily unionized yet our pay and benefits packages are and always have been well above the industry average. We actually recruit heavily from union shops so like I said YMMV

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    90% of all existing Bulls merchandise ever sold was sold between 1984 and 1998. Yeah, I made up that stat, but it really does seem like that.

Deadtigers repped this.
  18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    He's not regretting the wife, to my knowledge. The season tickets, yes.

19. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I suspect that is a bit of an anomaly.

20. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Extremely well trained.
    Flexibility - if you need more workers for a two-week project, call the Union Hall
    Less turnover
    Higher Job satisfaction
    Easier have all employees under same agreement.
    Hiring is far easier

Deadtigers and KCFutbol repped this.
  21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the time is now...the Democrats should make marijuana legalization an issue.

Deadtigers and Boloni86 repped this.
  22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I worked for Disney as a cast member a while back. I would have been working minimum wage, or slightly above, if not for the union. They have done fairly decently at getting the cast members to a somewhat livable wage.

Of course, if you are in the college program or international program, you are not union and the pay you get is after you pay for rent.

23. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Unfortunately this position won't be as effective in '18/20 as it could have been even as recently as last year. Several states have taken the initiative on their own, so the novelty is wearing off. As usual, the national Democrats arrive at issues a day late and a dollar short. Just in time to make it seem like you're following a trend, instead of leading it.

24. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thankfully, Jefferson Beauregard Sessions will continue to spout a bunch of Reefer Madness bullshit on the regular, which’ll keep legalization fresh and a little subversive.

Deadtigers and song219 repped this.