The Adventures in Policing Thread Part II

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jan 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I suspect that it is closer to true than you realize. And I feel sure that even if a slight majority of us give a ********, for most it is a little, clear your throat and squeak into a general indifference kind of ********, not a big booming "you mustn't do that" civil rights/viet nam era kind of ********.

And some of us from that era live so far from the action that there's no one to boom at that can make any material difference. We boom at other injustices closer to home that we can be more effective against.

soccernutter and Auriaprottu repped this.
  2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It would be interesting to know if there ARE any studies of attitudes about these things.

Maybe Brummie or someone else has some data?

3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes.

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We don't have an Incarceration thread. This will fit here better than anywhere else.

...in White County, Tennessee the quickest way to get your sentence reduce is to become sterile real quick, per an ABC15 report. For the small price of a free vasectomy, male inmates can get a whole 30 days removed from their sentence. Not to be left out, women can also receive time off if they receive a Nexplanon implant in their arm which will prevent pregnancies for up to four years. Since the program was instituted, county officials claim 32 women have gotten the Nexplananon implant and 38 men are in line to get a vasectomy procedure performed.

https://amp.pastemagazine.com/artic...w-price-of-a-vasectomy-tennessee-inmates.html

Dr. Wankler and soccernutter repped this.
  5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because there are two issue which overlap. The excessive use of violence by the police in general, and the excessive use of violence by police on POC. By "not giving a ********," the only thing which matters in my two sentences are POC. The excessive violence will still exist, and it will still end of up having a worse effect on POC.

I know that is snark of sort, but it is also counter productive, and we have had that discussion several times. They need greater understanding so that another young POC (mostly male) is not shot and the badge used as an excuse.

Most White people will not have that in their communities, will not know the people who suffered that loss, and know that it could (and will) occur again to someone they know. That is straight up data, not opinion. Until I started teaching in an urban environment, I personally knew two people who were murdered in my entire life, both in the same drug filled event which actually made national news for a couple of days. Of my students, I know of 5 murders definately, I suspect as many as another 5, and multiple former students who were shot but not killed. Tell me my count is the same as the family of the yoga instructor. Tell me that by living the suburbs the people will care the same if some Black girl "tragically" dies than the people in the community where the Black girls dies. Sure, they will have sympathy, but there will always be "somebody must have been doing something wrong to cause a gun to be fired."

Sure, they may give a ********, but in the way that taos explained. In the way that, when there was the community clean up here last summer after the one-night "riot" :)rolleyes:), when the Black people were standing on walls or porches or hoods of cars ranting expressing their anger and frustration, most of the White people were across the street watching, not within ear-shot.

Duh!

The "feelings," maybe, but there are a plethora of studies which constantly come out about the bias White have when viewing Blacks. And those both overt and inherent biases. A few of them I've referenced in the past few months.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #3631 Dr. Wankler, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    From the article's conclusion....

"On Wednesday, the ACLU released a statement on the matter expressing similar concerns:"

Offering a so-called ‘choice’ between jail time and coerced contraception or sterilization is unconstitutional. Such a choice violates the fundamental constitutional right to reproductive autonomy and bodily integrity by interfering with the intimate decision of whether and when to have a child, imposing an intrusive medical procedure on individuals who are not in a position to reject it. Judges play an important role in our community – overseeing individuals’ childbearing capacity should not be part of that role.
    "It’s pretty difficult to see how any of this would be justifiable—or even indeed legal."

soccernutter and Auriaprottu repped this.
  7. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    This sounds uncomfortably close to eugenics.

dapip, soccernutter and Auriaprottu repped this.
  8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I mean, I can see the problem. But I don't think the solution should be the correct answer to the question, "what would the Nazis do?"

russ, dapip, soccernutter and 4 others repped this.
  9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Actually, that's all I was saying. That 'most people' will feel sympathy so the 'they don't give a feck' statement is an overstatement. AP said almost as much when he said the guy was a bit OTT. As to the general point that people feel more likely to feel sympathy by harm coming to someone they associate with... who's arguing?!... I'm not.

I suppose I'm a bit nervous about this stuff when we've had numerous claims that recent votes, (the 2015 GE, the 2016 EU referendum and the 2017 GE), were DEFINITELY, 'a vote for this', or, 'a vote for that'.

Regarding the 2017 GE I've been told, variously, that people only voted labour because they felt SURE labour wouldn't win and, also, that people DIDN'T vote labour because they felt sure labour wouldn't win. Well, they can't BOTH be right.

Those are elections where votes can be counted. We're talking about how somebody feels about how some other group feels.

10. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    ?? They can't? I am quite sure that there were people here who voted for Trump because they were sure he couldn't win and people who voted for him because they were sure he would. Not the same people, of course, but they both helped to produce the result. Are you leaving out an "only" or something?

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hang on... they voted for him DESPITE the fact they thought he'd win anyway so their vote was a waste of time? How does that work then?

Anyway... er... yeah. I think you're right :D

Two opposite reasons are being given for the same thing happening was meant to be my point :)

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is not the point of the author of the article. He point was understanding. It is like those organizations asking for donations because the kids don't have enough to eat or running water or the dogs were abused or abandoned. There is no real understanding of what went on prior to that, why it occurred, and the willingness to do something about it. The "they don't get a ********" is about that - "oh, that poor black girl." No, not the family, the girl. (And notice how I used the lowercase black, not Black - because the people the author talks about don't see them as a separate group, with a separate culture, etc.)

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If his point was about 'understanding' then saying he doesn't give a feck about somebody else being killed seems facetious, at best, or actually counterproductive, (as you said), at worst.

But it struck me more as a cry of rage, frankly.

To be fair, anger has it's place in political and social discourse so I haven't got a problem with it as such.

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Fatigue from dealing with JAQ/engineers set in yet?

15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You seem determined to try and cause a disagreement even though none exists AFAIK so I'll leave it there.

16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely not...and around here he diversity is not the traditional stereotype.

17. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    "This is the third time it's happened, chief, and that's one time too many. You need to step down".

18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/cob...top-we-only-kill-black-people-right/600704431

Got a joke? Keep it in your thong. Might not be a slap on the wrist next time. Or it might, given the climate.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  19. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    #3644 raza_rebel, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke has resigned. My guess is he is signed on as a Fox News contributor and gets fired trying to deny everyone in the studio access to water....or sexual harassment since it's Fox News.

EDIT - Since I'm on the topic, there is one semi-serious question that has always been on my mind. How cowboy is Milwaukee? He is always wearing a cowboy hat but was born and raised in Milwaukee. My mother in-law's family is from the Appleton/Green Bay area and I really don't picture that area as steeped in cow-poke culture.

20. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    #3645 HerthaBerwyn, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Hes a cowboy in the same way Joe Buck was a cowboy. Clarke is from Peewaukee. Hes the Peewaukee Cowboy. Really, follow the plot:

As the film opens, Joe Buck (David Clarke), a tough taking lawman working as a local official, dresses in new cowboy clothing, packs a suitcase and quits his job. He heads to New York City, hoping to succeed as a Fox News contributor. Initially unsuccessful, he succeeds in bedding a well-to-do middle-aged New Yorker (Donald Trump), but Joe ends up giving her money after she ends up lashing out at him when he requests payment.

I guess he won the Drunk-Uncle Sheriff role at Fox. Joe Arpaio got Wally Pipped.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's more right-wing cosplay of the sort we saw in Charlottesville.

22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Auriaprottu repped this.
  23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a show man, a "cowboy" by idea. Tried to present an aura of a tough guy. He's an Uncle Tom (and I'm not sure I've used that term here, before) pure and simple.

This was a weird resignation, too. Nobody knew about it until late in the day. The Clerk was at some function about an hour or so away from the office and when asked was caught off guard.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Utah cop roughs up a nurse who won't violate the Constitution by taking a blood sample from an unconscious man -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...her-for-doing-her-job/?utm_term=.191e40590b1a

Big man, pushing that nurse against a wall. Big big man.

He should be fired, then jailed. Or the reverse order. Of course, nothing much will happen to him. ********ing cops. I'm an older white guy who lives in the burbs, and even I don't trust them to do right. Can only imagine what the people whom cops truly don't like think about them.

While we're at it, take away their guns. They'd be a lot more polite without those guns make them feel as if they have two penises. And they'd kill a lot fewer people, too.

crazypete13, Auriaprottu and ToMhIlL repped this.
  25. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I came across an aricle about a company that trains cops in MMA fighting. My first thought was "???????"

But the article made the point that cops get almost no training in self defense/non-lethal attack techniques. In the words of one cop, it's "one week at the academy. Just enough to make sure you get hurt if you try it." But the idea is to give them options that won't result in shooting somebody. And it sounds like a good idea.

Until some asshat like detective Jeff Payne tries to cartwheel kick a nurse