The Adventures in Policing Thread Part II

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jan 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    So basically the second half of the Eighties in Central Park at night. Got it.

Auria was right, its all about the definition of "significant."

soccernutter, Auriaprottu and Deadtigers repped this.
  2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Wut?

To return to subject, violent crime rates in the U.S. have dramatically, hugely dropped over the past 30 years. So even if black-on-white crime has dropped only in tandem since then rather than at a higher rate (which I do believe is the case, but I can't find any statistics on that), the issue of crime -- and popular responses to it -- is very different than in the Eighties.

[​IMG]

Which is one reason why why Muslims have replaced blacks as the national bad guys.

Naughtius Maximus and HerthaBerwyn repped this.
  3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You should have been more responsible with the keyboard yesterday. What you've listed here is just a bunch of anecdotes.

soccernutter and taosjohn repped this.
  4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I remember my dad flying into Detroit in the early 70's and it being referred to then, as 'Homicide City, USA' so I don't think it's just one area.
    Well, I suspect that's got more to do with people needing a 'bad guy' than anything else, but, yeah... I think people are overthinking this

Poor people are more likely to be involved in crime, (coz they're, y'know... poor), and because, as a proportion, more black people are poor than whites, they'll be more likely to be involved.

Of course, all of that's different from the issue of perception which has been heavily skewed against black people because they're easier to identify as 'the other' to whites who were the majority back in the day and, in comparison to blacks, (as opposed to hispanic people), still the case now.

IOW it's a mixture of factors, partly simple reality, (which can't just be ignored, regardless of the reason), but also a large slice perception.

5. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    "Yes to FCC, No to Killer Cops."
    -Sign at protest outside Nippert Stadium tonight.

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does the Federal Communications Commission have to do with anything? I mean, I agree that it was a really bad idea when Reagan got rid of the Fairness Doctrine and Dcrapping the Duopoly rule was a disaster, since it lead to corporate control of radio stations so that all you hear are the same %$#@ songs on every @&^%$# station in every $#&%$ city...

7. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still better than killer cops, no? I mean, given the choice between "iHeartRadio" and getting shot by a cop... well, give me a few minutes to think about it.

russ repped this.
  8. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Thought the Nippert Stadium was a tipoff. They were referring to FC Cincinnati. I believe this marks the first ever political protest at a US Open Cup match.

9. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3584 ToMhIlL, Jun 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    Nuh-uh! I remember distinctly that people were saying that a number of protesters were outside Lusitano Stadium in Ludlow, Mass. for the USOC match between New England and Chicago, allegedly holding signs that may have been decrying farm price subsidys that would reduced the overall amount of food being produced. The protesters were worried that, with Snack Thornton in goal for Chicago, the planet couldn't afford to reduce the amount of food production.

Either that, or they just sang mean songs about him being a "fat bastard," alleging that if he lived in Korea, he would, in fact eat a dog, and not necessarily a chihuahua either.

crazypete13, Moishe, roby and 3 others repped this.
  10. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Watched many a match there. Had a cousin who played for the Lusitanos in the late 40's ... early 50's. All three of my kids played away matches there. David Socha [former FIFA Referee] tended bar in town. :coffee:

11. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Check this piece out, though it covers the deference people have to cops being good guys.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/off-duty-cop-killed-daughters-boyfriend-faces-3rd-48402399

soccernutter and delandis repped this.
  12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Federal appeals court in Philly says cops can be filmed while on-duty:

Americans have a constitutional right to film on-duty police officers in public, a federal appeals court in Philadelphia ruled Friday. The three-judge panel’s decision is not the first of its kind, but it marks a significant milestone: Half of U.S. states are now covered by rulings protecting the videotaping of law enforcement.

In its decision in Fields v. City of Philadelphia, the Third Circuit Court of Appeals panel said the First Amendment’s protections extended to two people who used their smartphones to record police interactions with a third party.

We ask much of our police. They can be our shelter from the storm,” Judge Thomas Ambro wrote for the majority. “Yet officers are public officials carrying out public functions, and the First Amendment requires them to bear bystanders recording their actions. This is vital to promote the access that fosters free discussion of governmental actions, especially when that discussion benefits not only citizens but the officers themselves.”

The judges’ decision solidifies a growing consensus among the federal appeals courts on this nascent issue. The First, Fifth, Seventh, Ninth, and Eleventh Circuits have also issued similar rulings, starting in 2011, to protect bystanders who record police actions. Their collective jurisdictions now amount to exactly half of U.S. states and roughly 60 percent of the American population. No federal appeals court has ruled to the contrary; the Supreme Court has not weighed in on the subject.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...ictory-for-the-right-to-record-police/533031/

13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Come to the US to live the American dream, get shot by our trigger-happy cops!!!

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/australian-woman-who-called-911-shot-dead-by-minneapolis-police-1630549

An Australian woman has been shot and killed by a US police officer near her home in Minneapolis. Details about what exactly happened are sketchy but local reports say the woman, Justine Ruszczyk, called 911 after hearing a noise near her home and was shot dead by an officer who responded to her call.

The incident took place at around 11.30pm local time (5.30am BST) the Minnesota's public safety department said. The police officers did not have their body cameras turned on.

14. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly, she was standing in the alley in her pajamas and having a conversation with the driver of the police car, through the drivers-side window, when the officer on the passenger side of the car shot her through the drivers-side door.

I'm wondering what creative explanation they'll come up with for this one. The usual "he was a scary-looking black man" isn't available to them this time.

Mr. Pink repped this.
  15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Presumably the passenger-side officer thought she was pulling out a gun. (That had better be the excuse.) I wonder how many middle-aged women have shot policemen in Minnesota history? My best guess would be zero.

16. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    "Her accent ticked me off"...?

17. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    "Her accent put me in fear for my life?"

18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The name of the officer that shot her is Mohamed Noor.

I think Real America is good to go with their preferred narrative on this one.

russ, Auriaprottu and taosjohn repped this.
  19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm going to stick with my narrative: People who armed are dangerous, regardless of either their ethnicity or occupation, and are to be avoided if at all possible. .

20. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Her accent threw him off. Thought the Queen of England was infiltrating America with Redcoats...

dapip and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This...

[​IMG]

is the niqqer cop who killed a White woman. He will soon be behind bars for a long time.

soccernutter repped this.
  22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You might be right.

Even so, it's an odd one.

23. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    So what do we think is the real story? Accidental discharge? He conceived some notion that she was going for his driver's gun?

I mean, why'd he have his out in the first place?

24. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Thought her cell 'phone - which apparently was found close by - was a gun?