The Adventures in Policing Thread Part II

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jan 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Belize.

2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    "You can check out any time you like, but..."

3. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    If Schumer had his druthers, I'm sure that would be the case. Of course it's already apparently a big enough pain in the ass that many ex-pats are in an impossible situation, and potential ex-pats remain only potential unless they have enormous amounts of cash already offshore.

4. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Sad! :(

dapip repped this.
  5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Four COs who basically boiled a Miami inmate to death in the showers won't be charged with a crime:

JERRY IANNELLI

[​IMG]

On June 23, 2012, Darren Rainey, a schizophrenic man serving time for cocaine possession, was thrown into a prison shower at the Dade Correctional Institution. The water was turned up top 180 degrees — hot enough to steep tea or cook Ramen noodles.

As punishment, four corrections officers — John Fan Fan, Cornelius Thompson, Ronald Clarke and Edwina Williams — kept Rainey in that shower for two full hours. Rainey was heard screaming "Please take me out! I can’t take it anymore!” and kicking the shower door. Inmates said prison guards laughed at Rainey and shouted "Is it hot enough?"

Rainey died inside that shower. He was found crumpled on the floor. When his body was pulled out, nurses said there were burns on 90 percent of his body. A nurse said his body temperature was too high to register with a thermometer. And his skin fell off at the touch.

But in an unconscionable decision, Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle's office announced Friday that the four guards who oversaw what amounted to a medieval-era boiling will not be charged with a crime.

“The shower was itself neither dangerous nor unsafe,’’ the report says. “The evidence does not show that Rainey’s well-being was grossly disregarded by the correctional staff.’’

Rundle's office announced the results of its investigation in a Friday afternoon news-dump, the kind that public officials typically only use to bury unflattering news or information. Rundle's office would clearly like this case to vanish over the weekend — but the facts of the case are so inhumanely grotesque that the decision should haunt the office for eternity.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/f...enic-black-man-darren-rainey-to-death-9213190

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So, essentially, he was tortured to death... and they're not being charged with anything.

7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    And a couple of COs moved on. One is a cop in my in-laws' town in Miami area. :eek:

8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In all honesty it sounds more like the sort of thing ISIS would do.

I mean, lashing out at someone in a moment of anger when you've temporarily lost control, (if they've attacked you or whatever), is one thing... I think most of us can understand that on a human level at least, (even if they're not meant to do it and are meant to be trained to avoid such things), but, this? It really is absolutely appalling. :(

9. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    MLS goalkeeper Tally Hall has been sworn in as an Orlando police officer. Im sure we join in wishing Officer Hall the best of luck in his future endeavors. If Im ever in the Orlando Clink I certainly hope for Tally to be my detective. Its not like nothing ever gets past Tally Hall.

ElJefe, Auriaprottu and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  10. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYPD to delivery workers: DIAF

PD officers confiscated 247 electric-assist bikes in a 24-hour period on Wednesday, AMNY reports. E-bikes remain illegal under state law even though federal rules have permitted them for years.

The sting appears to be part of a citywide crackdown in the name of traffic safety. “FYI: as weather gets warmer… local precincts [and NYPD’s transportation bureau] will be seizing illegal ATV’s, E-bikes & motorcycles,” NYPD transit bureau Chief Joseph Fox tweeted. Precincts across Manhattan posted photos of the dozens of bikes confiscated, usually with some reference to Vision Zero.

Chief of Transportation Thomas Chan’s feed is also awash in images of impounded electric bicycles.

While riding an e-bike on the sidewalk can be a hazard, NYPD’s approach to enforcement is out of all proportion to the public safety risk.

Disgusting humans these people are. Bill de Blasio, the mayor of New York City and the boss of the police commissioner, is a fraud.

11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Not a problem. The dirtbikers of Harlem will surely fill the void.

12oz-dirtbike-harlem-benmoore-5.jpg

12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I don't see the problem, unless they are on the sidewalks. In which case, lock 'em up.

13. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no problem. The NYPD loves to harass people on bicycles and e-bikes because it's easy. They don't really care about violations by motorists because most of them are motorists and stopping cars requires a little effort. Plus, especially in NYC, motorists then to be on the upper end of the income scale. Much easier to ******** over poor people.

On the sidewalk comment, unsurprisingly, the NYPD view bike lanes as parking for themselves. I assume they view the fact that that can force delivery bikers into traffic and put them in danger as a feature rather than a problem.

Q*bert Jones III, Gamecock14 and JohnR repped this.
  14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can't can't quite figure out on what basis they're illegal? Does anybody know?

My cousin has one and they're legal over here, (and in most of Europe I believe), as long as they can't go 'unaided' above 24kmh, (15.6mph).

What, exactly, is the issue?

15. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are illegal under New York state law for, um, who knows (I don't think that's common elsewhere in the United States). Obviously that needs to change.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  16. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    United overbooked its flight, than randomly chose a passenger to be removed. The passenger who paid for the flight did not want to get off, so United called the local police (Chicago) to forcefully remove the passenger.

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    United once tossed me off a flight where I was already seated. They gave me a standby seat, then the guy showed up just as the door was closing. Oops, no more seat. A four-hour wait until the next flight.

It seems this guy had it worse though -- booked and then randomly removed.

19. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could someone with more knowledge than me please explain why is a flight is overbooked you would remove someone that is seated instead of simply telling the last person not to get on?

20. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is that for this particular flight, they were not overbooked, but they needed four seats for employees who had to get to Louisville in order to staff a flight the following morning. If those employees didn't make it to Louisville, they would have had to cancel that flight. So they asked for volunteers, and when they didn't get any, they picked passengers based on some algorithm, and the rest is social media history.

If the flight had been overbooked with paying passengers, they would have caught that at the gate, and the people who got there last would not have been allowed to get on, as you describe. (Happened to me once - I got there before the ten minute cutoff when they give seats away, but the plane was already full, so they booked me on another flight on a different airline AND gave me cash money (well, a check, but still...).)

I can't find a (reliable) source to confirm that this flight wasn't overbooked with paying passengers, but many articles mention that they were employees who needed spaces, not paying passengers.

stanger repped this.
  21. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    And you would not book your key staffs airline tickets before you get to the stage of throwing customers off a plane because, why, exactly??

If you are too dumb not to boom flight staff tickets before the plane is full, you need to eat the financial loss instead of calling he cops on your paying customers.

And of all the people to get picked by an "algorithm" to be forcibly removed, it's the Asian doctor with glasses who needs to get back to his patients. Why couldn't they have picked the black dude with a criminal record, or the guy with a suspicious looking beard and Arabian nome-de-guerre on his passport? Major PR fail, that algorithm needs to get fired.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  22. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything you are saying is correct. The airline acted horrifically, and they should suffer for it. The airline shouldn't have a policy that goes "1. Offer $400; 2. Offer $800; 3. Call police." The airline shouldn't be able to remove a paying passenger who is not a safety concern. It's incidents like this where corporations behave badly that get regulations passed, if we had a Congress that didn't suck.

My understanding is that this flight was actually operated by a different carrier (Republic Air) under the United Express banner. Republic operates flights for United, Delta and American, so they may have had needs that went beyond United's needs - e.g they needed the staff in Louisville for a Delta Connection or American Eagle flight the next day, rather than another United flight. But their action is going to punish United. We'll see if United points the finger or tries to disclaim responsibility - they shouldn't, but they haven't been the best corporate actor lately.

The police shouldn't have roughed up a resisting person just because the airline says so. They shouldn't be in the business of enforcing corporate profits.

My wife is a frequent flyer on United, and she is considering her options. I don't think there's another airline that flies direct to Osaka from here, and her company has a deal with United (as do most of the companies around here since SFO is one of their hubs) so she may not have an alternative for her trip to Japan next month. We have a trip booked to Hawaii in a couple of months - using her miles, so we can't get any money back - but we are looking at alternatives - there are plenty of airlines that fly SFO to Honolulu.

23. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I suspect the algorithm looked at passengers by booking cost. The people with the cheapest fare would cost them the least under 4x the fare or $1300 regulation.

The optics of this are horrible, if you've done a lousy job booking your deadhead runs, and need to free up space, any option that involves forcibly removing anyone involuntarily is a major fail.

24. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I do wonder who the first person to blame gov't regulations will be. IIRC, airlines face fines for delays/cancellations not caused by weather/safety.

If the entire "crew needed 4 seats" is true. Some idiot will come out with that take.

25. VincitOmniaVeritas

Jul 18, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Funnily enough the only times I have been to O'hare we're on flights from Louisville. Security varies greatly between airports so I'm not sure how the relationship between TSA and Chicago PD works at O'hare. But you're correct, Chicago PD needs to be concerned with enforcing the laws of the City of Chicago, not the "laws" of United Airways or their affiliates. You do need local PD at the airport to enforce state and local laws but an airline shouldn't be able to call on them to arrest someone who is not breaking a law.

Even businesses that have "we reserve to right to refuse service to anyone" policies won't take you're money, have you sit down and order, then call law enforcement to kick you out.