The Adventures in Policing Thread Part II

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Jan 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    You see, BLM IS to blame. If they just knew their place and kept their mouths shut this guy wouldnt have been so angry.

2. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While we await in trepidation what things will look like under President Trump, a reminder that things are still terrible in Obama's America, from Tennessee:

Vencie Varnado said he fell victim to the system in April, when Millington police seized his Mercedes after his son was arrested for marijuana possession. What followed was a six month battle between Varnado and a law loosely regulated by the State's Department of Safety.

"His job was to take my property away from me," Varnado said, describing an employee at the Tennessee Department of Safety the day he went to get his car back from the state.

"I asked him if he had any interest in an innocent owner," Varnado added. "He said, 'No. I work for the state. My job is to take your property from you.'"

Varnado maintains he is the innocent owner of the car. He provided the title to FOX13, proving he is the sole owner of the vehicle. When he took his proof to authorities, Varnado said they treated him like the criminal, asking him to pay more than $3,000 to buy his car back from the police department.

If only there was something in the Constitution that gave Americans the right to due process.

This should infuriate everyone.

fatbastard repped this.
  3. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe it's like a tacit admission of the fact that, like Chris Rock said... 'I understand', (AKA, they have a point).

:D

5. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How smart are the NYPD? Really really stupid it would seem.

NYPD Inspector Dennis Fulton told council members the department may run into problems training officers on how to apply the law because it draws a distinction between cyclists and drivers. However, Fulton said NYPD is open to working with the council to refine the bill as necessary.

You have got to be kidding.

ElasticNorseman and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  6. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    The main problem with that is that the police are allowed to function as an independent regulatory agency. They cant be allowed to do that. You dont give the dragon the keys to the cage.

MasterShake29 repped this.
  7. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Geez...if you look closely the car already has a bunch of bullet holes in the front fender. Maybe I'll go to Vancouver instead. :eek:

8. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    fatbastard repped this.
  9. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Milwaukee seems to have a pretty awesome police chief:

Edward Flynn, the Milwaukee police chief, argued that police chiefs had to hold some officers involved in fatal shootings "accountable for essentially being incompetent even though the officer has acted within the confines of legal precedent," in a post at the Police Foundation's On Policing blog.

Flynn retold the story of the 2014 police shooting of Dontre Hamilton, a mentally ill man who had been approached by Officer Christopher Manney after two other officers had previously determined Hamilton didn't pose a threat to himself or others, and ended up shooting and killing Hamilton after Hamilton allegedly took the officer's baton. Manney was the first officer fired for an on-duty shooting in Milwaukee in 45 years, and appealed to get his job back.

"My responsibility as police chief was to examine this case beyond the confines of criminal culpability," Flynn wrote. "The officer clearly had no criminal intent. He was defending himself. But his failure to adhere to departmental training and protocols were the proximate cause of his need to use deadly force. Someone died because of his incompetence. I therefore fired the officer."

Umar repped this.
  10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Mistrial declared in North Charleston cop shooting case. Shot a black motorist jogging slowly away from him in broad daylight. Cop was caught doing it on cell phone video and planting a taser on the victim. Cause that's how some cops cop.

Just heard today jury was 11 white men and one black guy in city that's almost 50% black. Local black leaders at the time weren't concerned cause...ya know...cell phone video & all. :(

11. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will get convicted. My understanding was there was one juror that voted to not convict, and he said he wouldn't change his vote regardless. That's why there was a mistrial.

Umar repped this.
  12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happened to that hard core Trump sheriff? He was not from Milwaukee.

13. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This guy gets what people are complaining about.

14. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Hes not really serious. Hes just trying to get Joe Arpaios old job as Fox' Drunk Uncle Sheriff. Hes like the Joad Cressbeckler of law enforcement.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this the police shootings thread?

I guess on Facebook there is live video of a suspect that allegedly shot a cop and he is in a stand off threatening to jump off a bridge.

16. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    American Brummie repped this.
  19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is odd, and will probably be dealt with swiftly. When I lived there, the Tucson PD was pretty tolerant of these things, and somewhat passive about all kinds of immigrants. And the Chief at the time ruffled some feathers of other police/sheriff Chiefs, namely one to their north. But, from time to time, Tucson did have a bad officer come to light.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I remember going to a minor league baseball game there, and there were a few people in the parking lot with petitions trying to make English Only the law in Arizona. People were heckling the hell out of them. I was pretty surprised, but I later learned... it isn't Phoenix...

soccernutter repped this.
  21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a pretty solid divide in Tucson, at least that main part along River Road. North is Red, south is Blue. And keep in mind that Gabby Giffords was shot on that line (extension of River).

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  22. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    It sure isn't.

23. JamieBmore

JamieBmore Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Get the fck out the middle of the street and get out of a cops face while you are at it. This isn't rocket science people. I do hope Granny didn't break her hip though. I really don't think that cop tried to push her down to the ground.

In general, I think you will see Police a lot less tolerant of stuff like this across the country where protesters thinks its ok to just stand in the middle of the road and block traffic. You are already seeing it in places like Portland and now here in Tucson. Obama ain't in charge anymore....

24. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Did the lady present a threat to the officer? If no, then he had no business laying hands on her unless he was moving to detain lawfully (which does not necessitate knocking an elderly person to the ground - which literally could have killed her), or she was an imminent threat to his person.

Obama was never in charge of the local police. Trump is also not in charge of the local police. Should that ever come to pass, I'm leaving.

25. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Movin to Canada, eh?

dapip repped this.