The ACC 2017

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Vilhelm, Aug 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. gauchodan

gauchodan Member+

Oct 18, 2016
    Nope, you were right. 7th if they won.

By the way, that isn't even taking into account Virginia would have earned a greater bonus for defeating a top 15 team at a neutral site...even with the official draw they earned a damn good bonus.

2. theatric7

theatric7 Member

Nov 12, 2011
    This was the frustrating part. UVA has great talent on the field, I just wish he would use it. Obviously virginia has had fantastic teams in the past and produced many great pros, but I have to wonder if this kind of play eventually taints the program a bit. I simply want the attacking soccer that Virginia used to put on the field.

3. theatric7

theatric7 Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Good to see 3 ACC teams make it to the Elite Eight. IMO UNC, Wake, and Louisville have been the 3 best teams in the conference all year and it's very possible that we see 3 ACC teams in the final four, making it a Big 10-ACC final four.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    UNC is obviously a heavy favorite. But Denver, UMBC and Charlotte have shown Cinderella can still make the College Cup this decade even as the big programs dominate the sport. Not a slam dunk.

But the other two games are toss-ups. Akron is a talented team and on a roll.

And Stanford is Stanford and appears to be in Wake's head.

I think the ACC's streak of a team in the College Cup will continue (2000 was the least year it was shutout) but I am less confident about multiple teams.

OverseasView and theatric7 repped this.
  5. theatric7

theatric7 Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Man, I don't know what it is with Wake when they play Stanford, but all of a sudden everything that they normally do well goes out the window.

For the first 20-25 minutes of the game they played incredibly panicked and frantic. So many unforced turnovers from players that don't normally give the ball away, even when they weren't under pressure. Even after they settled in, they were never cool and collected on the ball.

Huge, gaping holes in the defense that havent been there for most of the year. One forward was able to find a seem that broke through all 4 backs. A goal from a set piece is not surprising at all, but the second goal given up and the amount of easy chances given up was confusing.

There were several times during the game that I couldve drawn a 30 yard diameter circle in the middle of the field and I wouldnt have found one Wake player. Where were the center mids in this game?!? The only player that ever found the ball in the middle of the field was Dunwell. He did a decent job keeping possession, but even he had some uncharacteristic turnovers. The only player that I could say had a good game was the freshman center back Mark Mckenzie (after the first 10 minutes)

I don't know what it is about playing Stanford, but the Wake plays scared whenever they face them. Obviously Stanford deserves complete credit for the win as they have figured out the formula to winning big games.

Good Luck to UNC in the College Cup.

OverseasView repped this.