The A-League Expansion Thread

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by Azzballz the Great, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    theFOOTBALLlover repped this.
  2. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    I just based it on population. That 4th Melbourne team could always just go to Geelong who are close enough but far enough to represent a different population.

3. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think a 3rd Melbourne team, if not South Melbourne, would be in the Western Suburbs. A team in Melton could draw from Ballaratt, Bendigo, and the growing western suburbs.

4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think ground sharing with the Victory is doing Melbourne City more harm than the lack of geographical divide. Although the two could be related? But, honestly, just getting them into their own stadium would help MelC as it will be a way for them to attract a "local" population that they can't really attract now as the Victory have already gotten that population.

5. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure they don't play at Eitihad much, if at all, anymore.

They play at Aami Park.

EDIT: I know when they started as Hearts they shared the stadium. Also, if folks really wanted to they could support Victory if they were from the western suburbs and City from the east. It also kind of plays into City being more wealthy as the eastern suburbs are seen as the old money wealthy of the city while the western suburbs are more working class.

6. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless there has been a change, the Victory play at AAMI as well... Etihad is only used for "special matches" like the Melbourne derby and the Victory/Sydney rivalry match.

mike4066 repped this.
  7. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's crazy didn't realize that. When I still lived there Eitihad was Victory's home park and Aami was for Heart.

Thanks for pointing that out.

8. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I had a discussion in another forum in regards to the South Melbourne bid, where I mentioned the western suburbs.

I said that even if we pretend being an ethnic club isn't an issue, I couldn't imagine residents of southern Melbourne (Balaclava, St Kilda, South Wharf etc) getting behind South Melbourne FC. Melbourne Knights on the other hand is based in the western suburbs, and they would have a much better chance capturing fans from the ever-growing west than South Melbourne would in the south.

Tbh South Melbourne and Melbourne Knights will only either not get enough fans as they identify as Greek and Croatian clubs respectively, or they will take fans away from Victory and City. I don't think either scenario is desirable.

If Victoria were to have a third team, then it must be based in Geelong.

el-capitano and mike4066 repped this.
  9. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'm with you on this. The days of ethnic based clubs at the top level are over. I also think its rubbish that Melbourne doesn't have geographical divides. The only problem they have is they build all their stadiums within 3K of the city. This is the only reason that sporting clubs have a hard time "belonging" to a geographical region of Melbourne.

La Trucha and mike4066 repped this.
  10. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its one of the reason why I think Geelong or the Western suburbs will get a team before South Melbourne or Melbourne Knights. Not to mention that those two clubs are ethnic based, and ethnic based clubs whose immigration is shrinking compared to others.

11. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yeah I agree it was just in reference to Darwin having a team. Personally I think a Darwin based team would be better off trying to get a team into the Indonesian league (if they've managed to sort their administration out). Flights would be cheaper, they'd play during their ideal climatic season and probably more realistic than playing in the A-League.

12. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Melbourne doesn't necessarily need a "geographical" divide ... in Sydney a lot of the divide is based on "social" differences.

A ground outside of the central area of Melbourne would be good too (South Melbourne are still quite central ... is it a big enough point of difference to the other two teams??)

13. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'm weary about a west Melbourne team because many Victory fans come from there, and so Victory would lose a lot of fans. Kinda like how a proposed South Sydney side is a terrible idea because many residents there already support Sydney FC.

Geelong is a better idea by far, because the town is one hour away from Melbourne and residents there would prefer their own team rather than travel all the way to Melbourne. The whole town gets behind the Cats, so I don't see why they can't have a similar kind of passion towards a Geelong A-League side.

You could say that there is a class divide between the WASP eastern suburbs of Melbourne and the multicultural western suburbs.

As for South Melbourne being a big enough point of difference from the other two teams, it's still an inner-city suburb so it's not far from the CBD at all.

mike4066 repped this.
  14. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see what you are saying. I can actually see two teams being added in Victoria in the long run. Geelong would be first but a regional team in the far western suburbs of Melbourne (anywhere along the VLine) I think would pull a good mixture of new fans and from Victory. It technically wouldn't be a Melbourne team but could pull in supporters from there as well.

100% agree. And if Victory would just play more in Etihad it would also enforce a geographical divide as well (albeit small).

Agree as well. South Melbourne is actually really close to Docklands (Etihad) and AAMI park.

15. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Problem is I don't particular like Etihad Stadium for soccer. It's an oval so we're too far away from the action. We need to be playing in a soccer-specific stadium a la AAMI Park where the atmosphere is better and doesn't feel like it's only half-full.

I don't know where in the CBD we can build a brand new soccer-specific stadium, so I suppose I'm not against Victory sharing AAMI Park with City tbh.

mike4066 repped this.
  16. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Pretty sure the AFL is buying out Etihad too ... so they might price it out of A-League range??

But yes terrible ground for football, and they really need to hire some eagles to patrol the area for game time.

17. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  18. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting for sure. Think Geelong might be ahead of that idea though.

19. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Agreed that Geelong should come first. But in the distant future after the A-League has expanded elsewhere and the population has grown, then perhaps Dandenong-Casey and the western suburbs (no former NSL team though) can both have their own A-League sides.

mike4066 repped this.
  20. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    South Coast are talking again!

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/11/21/sydney-super-club-ready-lift

21. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    A summary of all the serious bids (11 in total) that have been made thus far. The list is missing Dandenong-Casey, the most recently-proposed bid.

From this list, I hope West Adelaide, Adelaide City, South Sydney and South Melbourne all do not come to fruition. There is no room for a 3rd Melbourne team (except Dandenong-Casey in the future) or more than one Adelaide team. South Sydney would only cannibalise support from Sydney FC; Wollongong is a much better proposal IMO.

A-League expansion state of play

ceezmad and artml repped this.
  22. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  23. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had never heard of this either but I do know that after visiting the area, I thought it could sustain a team with a smaller stadium (12-18K). Makes sense IMO

24. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Freo has an AFL team, but I'm not sure if A-League is ready to have a second Perth team. I reckon ATM out of Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney who all want another team, Brisbane is by far the only city that is ready to sustain a second team i.e. Brisbane Strikers.

mike4066 repped this.