The 6+5 idea

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by The Potter, May 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    where do you think all these mobile phone chunttering, sandwich munching idiots that fill up premier league grounds come from?

2. bigINTERNETTOUGHGUY

Jan 25, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly not Southampton, cause you did specify Premier League.

3. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ohhh....good one.

4. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    If the biggest talents were playing in the Championship I'm sure they'd be (almost) just as good players today. Obviously who you play against has some meaning, but what I've said is it's overrated at this level. Most of these players in these top leagues are very good and certainly good enough for most to develop their game while playing against.
    Exactly. For a young player that's difficult to say no to. I'd easily give up my regular job just to sit home and not develop myself professionally for £80k a month ;)
    The whole idea behind the proposal is to give young domestic talent a chance to play at a higher level. Whether or not you agree with that is irrelevant, we are talking about whether it would work.
    Why should Arsenal get to play fewer games then Nantes? Please explain that. That kind of attitude is exactly what is wrong with football today. The big clubs get all the calls and all the money. Like the other year when Liverpool was shit and finished 5th and still got to play in the CL. Not because they were defending champions, but because they are Liverpool. That's bullshit. It would never have happened if it was Deportivo or Werder.

5. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I think that's the case for most leagues. Except maybe Zimbabwe.

6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i think that foreign players have influenced english players at an elite level for the better, but in a way the influx has stopped some players getting the chance to play and get better at the top level through experience

swp is a quality player, but warmed the bench at chavski, if he had played more regularly hed have got better and wouldve played regularly for england as an example

this is an inherant problem from the old way of english coaching which has changed now...i dont think this will be an issue in a few years time

7. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    How then do you exaplain that Three Lions have never been further from winning a big trohpy.

8. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's incorrect, we have been furthur. Have you ever heard of Steve McClaren?

9. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Have Three Lions actually been further away from winning somthing? When would that be, 1942? No one was winning then so it doesn't count.

10. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ( see post #133 )

11. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Yes. I repeat post #134.

EDIT: OK you mean to say England are closer to winning the WC right now then they were when they didn't qualify for the EC? That's just dumb. England could lose every game they play the next five years for all you know.

12. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    no, what he said was that we were more unlikely to win anything with steve mcclaren in charge than we are with fabio capello in charge.

now go and be a plastic twit somewhere else.

13. bigINTERNETTOUGHGUY

Jan 25, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question of "would it work" needs context; by itself it means liitle. Would it work if implemented --- well, yes, clubs would abide by the rule if instituted, but the what's the goal? If it's only to increase numbers, sure.

The more interesting part of the equation is the "at a higher level." If "higher level" = the Prem the answer is simple. But if you take away a large # of better players and replace them with championship level players, then the quaility of the league will decline, so the height of the "higher level" will not be as high for the new players OR the existing players...

Where did I say Arsenal should play fewer games than Nantes? I was referring to fewer games for national teams. I think they should be seeded (a bit like the Champions League), so a team like England would play fewer qualifying games for major tournaments than say...Andorra or the Faroe Islands.

14. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Wow you're really tough. Very impressive.

15. bigINTERNETTOUGHGUY

Jan 25, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, that's my role. ;)

16. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The goal is for domestic talents to get to play more.
    Why would the quality of the league decline? Foreign talent would become cheaper and more available to the smaller teams. They could afford five really good foreigners instead of just shit like they have today.
    OK, I misunderstood. I agree it's stupid for England to be playing these nations that go 8 0-1-7 2-27 in a qualifier.

17. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Yeah but that Chewy there is really cool. Very intimidating.

18. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    At least he doesn't lack in accuracy of his posts..I'd say he hit the mark so to speak..

19. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Oh you're a mod. You're already intimidating. All my life I've dreamed of being someone like you. Smart and a mod on a internet forum. I bet you bag alot of chicks with that title.

20. bigINTERNETTOUGHGUY

Jan 25, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The quality of the league declines if better foreign players get replaced by Championship-quality English players.

I actually see 6+5 tipping the competitive balance in favor of the haves. Under the current system a team like Arsenal who doesn't have a billionaire owner can still be quite competitive by purchasing young, foreign talent.

Foreign talent would become only marginally cheaper (and even then, on a relative basis, perhaps not in real dollar/pound/euro terms). There would still be a queue for foreign talent from other leagues; football exists in a global marketplace.

What would also happen is that the best English players would become even more expensive, as the top teams had to compete for them (these players would have an artifically high value to English clubs because of the new rule, unlike the foreign players). So there's no way a team like Boro holds onto a Stuart Downing.

21. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thanks for that.....Ducky....

22. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    What they do is sell Downing for way more then he's worth and replace him with a foreigner they could not afford today. The best foreigners and domestic players would become more expensive, but the guys who are just really good would drop to a level more livable for the mid table and down teams. If teams could only have five foreigners there would be a ton of really good players who would end up with teams that today has no chance of signing them.

23. bigINTERNETTOUGHGUY

Jan 25, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess this is really where we disagree. As it is, the Prem faces competition from other major leagues for these players. I don't see a player like...say...Salomon Kalou from Chelsea...going to play for Hull or Blackburn. More likely he'd end up plying his trade in La Liga, Serie A or the Ligue 1.

24. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Who the hell are they going to play for in La Liga and Serie A? The same restrictions would apply there. Inter would have to sell basically their whole squad. Same with Arsenal. There would be a ton of really good players who would be looking for a new team. Blackburn and the likes would be the beneficiary of that.

Soares Espindola Julio César (BRA)
    Nicolas Andres Burdisso (ARG)
    Cristian Chivu (ROU)
    Ivan Ramiro Cordoba (COL)
    Ivan Fatic (MNE)
    Douglas Sisenando Maicon (BRA)
    Cabelino Andrade Maxwell (BRA)
    Nelson Enrique Rivas Lopez (COL)
    Walter Adrian Samuel (ARG)
    Javier Zanetti (ARG)
    Esteban Matias Cambiasso (ARG)
    Olivier Dacourt (FRA)
    Luis Figo (POR)
    Luis Antonio Jimenez (CHI)
    Alessandro Amantino Mancini (BRA)
    Sulley Muntari (GHA)
    Vitor Hugo Gomes Passos Pelé (POR)
    Ricardo Quaresma (POR)
    Dejan Stankovic (SRB)
    Leite Ribeiro Adriano (BRA)
    Hernan Crespo (ARG)
    Julio Ricardo Cruz (ARG)
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic (SWE)
    Victor Nsofor Obinna (NGR)
    Sebastian Cesar Helios Ribas (URU)
    David Suazo (HON)

These are the foreigners at Inter. Let's say they keep César, Chivu, Cambiasso, Quaresma and Ibrahimovic. Where do the rest end up? With the exception of a maybe a few, these would not end up at Juve, Milan, Roma, Fiorentina, who would all have to give up loads of talents themselves.

Look at Serie A in the 80s and early 90s, when there were restrictions on foreigners. Smaller clubs had Zico and shit like that. Dunga played for Pisa and Pescara.

Chelsea keeps Cech, Carvalho, Essien, Mikel and Drogba. Man Utd keeps van der Sar, Vidic, Ronaldo, Berbatov and Tevez. Don't argue over the names, I'm just making a point. Just check out the kind of talents that would have to leave. They'd all end up at the clubs you think would be so weakened because they'd have to sell their best domestic players.

25. bigINTERNETTOUGHGUY

Jan 25, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL, I think those leagues have more locals playing, so they can absorb the foreign players more easily. I'll see if I can find the stats -- I know I've seen them before.

Inciidentally, how would 6+5 apply in England. Would only English players qualify? Would Irish/Welsh/N. Irish qualify? As you recall, there was controversy over whether Cardiff City would get a place in Europe if they won the FA cup so I don't think it's clear how UEFA would apply the 6+5 rule (unless I missed the details).