The 2020 Election Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, May 8, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Lesson to y'all donks. Never assume the Fox will play in good faith:

https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2...ganda-onslaught-against-pete-buttigieg/223745

Mayor Pete Buttigieg’s performance at a Fox News town hall garnered rave reviews Sunday night from journalists and pundits, with some arguing that his successful turn proved that Democratic presidential candidates should be making on-air appeals to the network’s viewers.

“This is exactly why Dems' refusal to debate on FOX is so self-defeating,” argued political analyst Jeff Greenfield. “Well-prepared candidates would have chapter and verse to offer, and on a live debate or town hall there's no way for FOX to block or distort their points.”

What pundits who offer opinions like these are really demonstrating is that they do not understand what Fox is and how it operates. Appearing on the network did give Buttigieg the opportunity to speak directly to its audience. But the town hall does not exists in a vacuum; Fox is a right-wing propaganda machine that constantly pushes disinformation in order to damage progressives and help conservatives. And within hours -- after the commentariat had stopped watching Fox -- the network began smearing Buttigieg in an effort that will likely minimize any gains he might have made with its viewers.

Fox & Friends, the Fox morning show beloved by President Donald Trump, devoted significant time on Monday to undermining Buttigieg’s presentation. Buttigieg is a veteran of the war in Afghanistan; co-host Brian Kilmeade presented him as trying to undermine American patriotism, calling him a “clown” who wants to “erase our country’s history” for arguing that the Democratic Party’s Jefferson-Jackson dinners should be renamed for people who didn’t own slaves. The candidate received a warm response from the town hall attendees; Kilmeade bizarrely claimed the crowd was enthusiastic only because it was stacked with his friends and relatives. Buttigieg is a gifted communicator; the program sliced and diced his town hall answers into a clip reel of disjointed quotes which the co-hosts warned prove he is a “very progressive” radical. “He had some interesting comments last night, sounds like a nice guy, but do you agree with his policies?” co-host Ainsley Earhardt said at one point before rattling off a misinformation-laden litany of Buttigieg’s purported positions.

This onslaught will almost certainly continue throughout the day and into the night, when the network’s stars perform for an audience that will surely be much greater than Buttigieg’s. That was also the trajectory Fox’s coverage tracked after Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) partnered with the network for a town hall recently.

Deadtigers, charlie15 and soccernutter repped this.
  2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Fox doesn't have a GOP primary but wants to cash in on the ratings frenzy

So of course it makes sense for them to bring a few antagonists on board for the duration

Deadtigers repped this.
  3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Truly a deal with the devil

Deadtigers, sitruc and dapip repped this.
  4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Advertisers cut funding from some shows, but fox was not facing a disaster.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  5. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Joe Biden is the Chris Wondolowski of politics.

He was always consistently good but never truly great. He had his moment and flubbed it. Now everybody just wants him to go away.

Deadtigers and Smurfquake repped this.
  6. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    This is perfect whether it is true or not. It would only be better if this post started a flame war with San Jose fans.

If you don't know who Wondolowski is it's not really worth your time to google it.

7. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Isn't he the guy that flubbed a sitter in World Cup 2014?

Deadtigers and charlie15 repped this.
  8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Wondo's the guy who scored four goals on the Fire Chicago Long John Silver Impersonators last weekend.

Biden could've scored the the first two and the fourth one.

Deadtigers, soccernutter and KCFutbol repped this.
  9. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Joe's been biden his time since the 80's when he first ran for president.

Deadtigers, soccernutter and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  10. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think many San Jose fans would disagree with that statement. Our season took a big turn for the better when we benched him. He got the record, at home, in front of a small number of truly devoted fans, and now he can pretty much retire for all I care. Just like Joe Biden can also retire for all I care.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it was a sitter, it was the hardest sitter in the history of soccer.

Now, not getting it on frame, THAT he can be criticized for. But Courtois had closed much of the goal-scoring space down.

Even at the level of "world cup knockout round," that was at best a 50-50 chance. Run that play 100 times with the strikers in the R16, and you MIGHT see 50 goals. But you'd probably see 80-90 SOGs. He wasn't even close to that.

Sorry to go off, but you just combined two of my soccer pet peeves...using sitter wrong in general, and using it wrong in this specific case. Wondo didn't exactly have a gaping space to score in.

12. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Now correcting for that post was a sitter. :p

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL!

To stay with the Bay Area analogies, selecting Biden is like having Monta Ellis take your last shot instead of passing it to Steph Curry. :)

14. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Joe Biden has one major strength, and that is his ability to chase down orange orangutans in mid western states. America needs that right now.

15. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Who's coming up with these fantasy narratives? Fox in crisis? Seriously? They were breaking all time records for the weeks after the Mueller report dropped. Sure, there's this constant dance with advertisers, but when your show gets 4 million viewers, someone will step up and advertise.

The idea that Buttigieg "bailed them out" is laughable. I swear, some of you guys in this thread are living in la la land.

Not sure what you guys expected. Fox isn't a news station. They're a right wing talk channel. Not sure why anyone expected the primetime pundits to be nice to Buttigieg. That's not what this whole exercise is about. It's not about getting a nice word from Hannity. It's about Buttigieg doing exactly what he did. Talk for 1 hour, state your case and move on. Some of you guys are overthinking it and trying to make it into something far bigger than it needs to be. It's just a freaking 1 hr town hall. It happened, and the world did not end.

Timon19, ceezmad, Pønch and 1 other person repped this.
  16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    A bit of hyperbole to make a point...

Deadtigers repped this.
  17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm struggling to comprehend how you can reach this conclusion and not understand the point others are making.

JG and superdave repped this.
  18. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds like it was written by El Douche himself... :ROFLMAO:

As the 2020 presidential race heats up, North Korea’s official news agency called Joe Biden a “snob bereft of elementary quality as human being,” Bloomberg reports.
    They added: “He is self-praising himself as being the most popular presidential candidate. This is enough to make a cat laugh.”
    The news agency also called the former vice president a “fool of low IQ” and said he “had the temerity to insult the supreme leadership” of North Korea.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    "Bereft" and "temerity" aren't Trump words.

Though they clearly come from the same thesaurus that brought us "dotard" a few years back.

20. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    you're a detestable scumbag. Being insulted by a piece of shit like you is a badge of honour

21. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Your thoughtful and well-reasoned post has convinced me of something.

Ismitje, Deadtigers and superdave repped this.
  22. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes:

https://theintercept.com/2018/02/19...r-and-911-should-the-u-s-response-be-similar/

"something of a consensus has arisen in the political and media class (with some notable exceptions) that these actions not only constitute an “act of war” against the U.S., but one so grave that it is tantamount to Pearl Harbor and 9/11. Indeed, that Russia’s alleged “meddling” is comparable to the two most devastating attacks in U.S. history has, overnight, become a virtual cliché.

The claim that Russian meddling in the election is “an act of war” comparable to these events isn’t brand new. Senators from both parties, such as Republican John McCain and Democrat Jeanne Shaheen, have long described Russian meddling in 2016 as an “act of war.” Hillary Clinton, while promoting her book last October, described Russia’s alleged hacking of the DNC and John Podesta’s email inbox as a “cyber 9/11.” And last February, the always war-hungry Tom Friedman of the New York Times said on “Morning Joe” that Russian hacking “was a 9/11-scale event. They attacked the core of our democracy. That was a Pearl Harbor-scale event.”"

23. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    There are many reasons, but primarily because I'm not quite as outraged about Fox. Especially from a presidential candidate's POV, I think passing judgement on the quality of the media is irrelevant. I hate it when Donald Trump does it too. The 1st amendment is pretty clear. In a free country it shouldn't be surprising that there would be large right wing media outlets. As long as they don't infringe on the rights of left wing media to exist, I honestly don't care. In the free market of ideas, everyone gets to watch what they want.

If I was a campaign manager I'd tell my guy to go wherever you get invited. I would go talk on Breitbart. I'd talk on RT. My only requirement would be that the network treat us fairly ... no censorship, no editing tricks etc ... It's precisely because I have such a low opinion of Fox that I'd be itching to get in there and give them a different point of view. The bottom line is that the network does have viewers, and at the end of the day that's what campaigning is about. Making direct appeals to people, whatever the platform.

While I understand that talking on these networks accomplishes very little, I think boycotting accomplishes even less. All that does is either make you look pretentious or scared ... or both.

Timon19, ceezmad and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #2124 Dr. Wankler, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Huh. A Politico article that isn't terrible on MattInTheHatt's AndreW Yang

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/05/20/andrew-yang-2020-226931

Why is he doing podcasts? Is it an innovative way to reach voters? Maybe, but...

Podcasts have been key to Yang’s election strategy, unlike just about any other candidate‘s. Yang himself isn’t a much of a fan: “I prefer to read, I suppose.” And the campaign assumed in the early going that he would be a Rachel Maddow darling. But he couldn’t talk his way onto cable news, so he tried a different route, with stops on programs such as “Freakonomics” and neuroscientist Sam Harris’ “Making Sense.”

In some ways, it was a perfect marriage. Podcasting’s popularity is exploding: When Barack Obama first ran for president, 13 percent of Americans said they had listened to a podcast. Now it’s 44 percent. It helps that most people carry around mobile phones all day, but audio experts point to how well listeners respond to the intimacy of the medium.

To those who think of Rogan as the handyman on the 1990s TV sitcom “NewsRadio,” it can be startling to learn that his 10-year-old show, “The Joe Rogan Experience,” is routinely the No. 1 podcast in Apple’s iTunes store, beating about a half-million other programs. Rogan, who arguably leans libertarian, has nonetheless said he strongly supports government programs for people “born with a terrible hand.”

The article has some pretty good points about some limitations to his candidacy, but it's been awhile since I read a decent Politico article.

Deadtigers, soccernutter and Boloni86 repped this.
  25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, but at least he doesnt support Tulsi Gabbard.

Deadtigers and sitruc repped this.