The 2020 Election Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, May 8, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She want to be the moderate candidate, but moderates are waiting for Biden, the rest want lefty candidates.

Edit: I may be confusing her with the candidate from Minnesota.

Deadtigers repped this.
  2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Winning statewide office with 2/3 of the vote gives many women in New York visions of grandeur. (Well, two women actually.)

sitruc, Deadtigers, ElJefe and 1 other person repped this.
  3. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only there was an organization that could step in and mandate rules on how data can be used by companies when we the people are being stupid. ;)

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like you should create an app that does that.

I will send you 100 bucks for a 5% share.

Deadtigers repped this.
  5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Right, and 7up will tell you that they are healthier than Cola because they don't have caffeine. As a consumer I can choose not to drink either. I also can choose to ignore stupid browser messages, and go with the one that works best for me. (I use Firefox).

Of course, if a company feels their competitors are guilty of unfair competition, there's the court system available to them. If a consumer group thinks the consumer is being lied to, the same applies. Take it before a judge, and let it be dealt as it should, and if they are found to have done something illegal, let them pay accordingly for that. That doesn't mean that we should call them a monopoly and break them up. Frankly, that is an idiotic take.

6. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't seem to understand the basic problem here. ;) It isn't that the various companies are dominant in a single industry (so soft drinks in your example), the problem is that they abuse their dominance in one industry to break into and dominate another industry.

sitruc, Deadtigers and superdave repped this.
  7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So now monopoly equals diversification?

8. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I know, people give up all that information at their own peril. It's like these DNA companies, that promise to tell you your heritage and health risks. I get offered that all the time. I ask myself, do I want some company to have my DNA? Is it worth it to know that I'm 25 percent French or whatever? I already know where my grandparents came from, and what they died of, so I'll stay with that.

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's precisely my point. That was handled appropriately, by a judge, based on what apparently was a legitimate complaint from the FTC about misconduct, and not by a politician trying to cash in on resentment against successful businesses.

But what's wrong with going into other industries? Lets say Google comes up with a better driverless car, do you think we need to protect Ford and GM because theirs aren't as good?

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been temped to use one, but yes the idea of them having that data on me scares the shit out of me.

Think Deleting Your Facebook Profile Is Hard? Try Deleting Your Genomic Data.
    You can’t un-spit into that test tube.

https://futurism.com/home-dna-genomic-data

12. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it's already being sent through the European courts. That does not, however, mean that the US can't regulate companies that have an established history of behaving in non-competitive ways from continuing to do so.

Your use of this example proves that, yet again, you still don't understand the basic problem despite having it explained to you multiple times. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to repeat myself since you appear to be incapable and/or unwilling to understand the basic problem here. Literally no one is saying that these companies can't diversify. What they are saying is that they can't use anti-competitive tactics to diversify and, in the case of Warren's proposal, introducing regulations that manage how they can use the existing dominance in certain markets to diversify.

13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I think the disagreement is if it's A) anti-competitive (it might be, but I lean towards it not), B) illegal (don't think so), and C) unethical (which I don't believe it is).

I understand that you believe google and facebook and amazon uses anti-competitive tactics to enter in cloud computing, internet ads, etc -but you see as anti-competitive, I view as simply competing at a really high level.

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    She is trying to make something out of nothing. Whatever laws and regulations may be needed already exist, as your MS example shows. If indeed it can be proved that there is wrongdoing, that as you allege illegal anti-competitive tactics are being used, then that can be determined in front of a judge, without coming up with all that bullshit about breaking companies up and/or creating new unnecessary regulations. What we have is a politician who is unnecessary bringing up the names of all the most successful Silicon Valley companies, trying to stir up resentment among her anti-corporation base, just as Trump regularly does by attacking those groups his own base resents, and rightly gets criticized for doing.

15. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    There is absolutely necessary legislation needed with regards about protecting your data. There is zero laws on the books that stop any of the big tech companies from sellings your personal data to the highest bidders. It just says tell the consumer what they give rights to, but the Terms of Service are so long and so filled with legalese that it's absurd.

16. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I would 100% vote for someone who promised to change this.

flowergirl repped this.
  17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if Trump makes this promise?

18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, I also believe that better protection for our private information is something that should definitely be brought up, although of course not in the specific context of targeting large high tech companies. We need to better define what is private information and how to protect it, and make sure everybody, regardless of size, respects that.

19. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    He said someone, not anyone.

sitruc and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Then we can count on it never getting done.

21. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    What if he does? He's going to sign an executive order today regarding freedom of speech on public school campuses who's spirirt I can get behind (I don't know what the EO specifically says yet).

He can have the greatest legislation ever and won't make a bit of a difference to me. Mark Salter, a long time aide to Sen. McCain and thus a long time conservative, was on NPR this morning. He said that Trump and his destructive ways aren't worth a couple of points dropped on Tax Rates.

There's literally no legislation, or accumulated legislation, that can redeem his behavior as President or as a human being. None.

Boandlkramer repped this.
  22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if Spartacus had a Piper Cub?
    this too.

Moishe repped this.
  23. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Classic

24. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Damnit I need a place to talk USMNT that's not the USMNT forum.

25. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hey, don't drag that depressing crap into discussions about U.S. politics in the age of Trump!

song219 and Hayaka repped this.