The 2020 Election Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, May 8, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean if being endorsed by David Duke is reason to get kicked out of the Democratic party, can we lobby Duke to endorse the big 3 old folk?

And Bloomberg, lets kick all the old people out of the race.

Tulsi Hindu Nationalism does play very well with the white nationalist crowd.

When you think Religions can't get worse, you throw in ethnic purity nationalism and you get worse.

dapip repped this.
  2. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ya mean that being a Hindu Samoan of American and Samoan European ancestry doesn’t make you Indian

Chicago76 and dapip repped this.
  3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    If we are going to use some sort of one-drop rule with Indians, we should at least give them credit for Kamala Harris. :)

Besides my use of SC to explain Haley has more explanatory vigor than anything ever posted on P&CE.

Chicago76, charlie15 and Moishe repped this.
  4. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kamala, Neera Tanden, Pramiya Jayapal, Ro Khanna, Kal Penn, Ravi Patel, Ali Velshi, Fared Zakaria..a lot of Indian American are on the right side of history.. ;)

Deadtigers, sitruc and dapip repped this.
  5. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talking about SC pols.....
    Liberal@WileELiberal
    Nikki Haley has fully yanked Lindsey Graham's nose out of Trump's ass, and inserted her own so far up there that she can now see Devin Nunes. #BootlickNikki

sitruc, Funkfoot and dapip repped this.
  6. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    I don't hold Ajit Pai in particularly high regard either.

charlie15 repped this.
  7. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pete is surging and Biden is holding his own. Warren may be losing her momentum though. I don't think the M4A proposal has been flying too well.
    That race is Joe's to lose though.

A new Monmouth poll in Iowa finds Pete Buttigieg leading the Democratic field with 22%, followed by Joe Biden at 19%, Elizabeth Warren at 18% and Bernie Sanders at 13%.
    They are followed by Amy Klobuchar at 5%, Kamala Harris at 3%, Tom Steyer ay 3%, Andrew Yang at 3%, Cory Booker at 2%, and Tulsi Gabbard at 2%.

However, just 28% of likely caucusgoers are firmly decided on their candidate choice.
    Said pollster Patrick Murray: “Iowa caucusgoers are used to changing their minds up to the last minute. In fact, some probably even look forward to waiting until caucus night to settle on a candidate. This all translates to a race that is extremely fluid and will probably stay that way up to February 3rd.”

8. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Right now I don't take this any more seriously than the Republican race roughly around Nov 2011. Anyone remember Hermann Cain?

soccernutter repped this.
  9. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is now a good time to mention I really dislike caucuses? :) it's a horrible process that the Dems should get rid of.

That being said, Warren's M4A seems to be popular, it is the funding part of her plan that seems to be hurting her.

10. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Only states can authorize primaries though.

11. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Or maybe they accidentally wander into a different corner of the room. What a stupid way to vote.

Deadtigers and charlie15 repped this.
  12. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the states are run by the political parties. :) The states aren't really going to stand in the way of the parties switching to a primary system if they so desire.

Washington has had both a caucus system and a primary system and, for the longest time, the parties used to use the caucuses to determine delegates for the Presidential primaries. At one point either the state or the parties tried to force the delegate selection over to their preferred method (I can't remember which it was) and the state Supreme Court said it was up to the parties to determine how their delegates were selected, but that neither the state, nor parties could force the other system out of existence. The Republicans switched over to using the primaries at this time and used the caucuses only to identify who the delegates were and for party building. The Democrats kept using the caucus system until this election where they too will be using the Primary for the division of delegate slots and caucuses for putting a name on the individual delegate slot.

13. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    #4588 ASU55RR, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Buttigieg has been moving up in Iowa in several polls lately, so his early state strategy does have some merit. It also means that he will likely join Biden, Sanders and Warren in having a front-runner target on him next debate.

Looking at the Monmouth polling sample it does appear to tilt fairly old. I am actually really a bit surprised Biden didn't do better in a poll where 57% of respondents are over 50. The full cross tab shows him doing very poorly with under 50, which is consistent with other recent Iowa polls.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  14. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Since you're going for guilt-by-association...

What national interest was served by starving Zaidi Shia, Mr. Slitter, condoner of genocide?

Moishe repped this.
  15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call it what ever, but moderate Democrats are smelling blood in the water.

Maybe they think Biden may drop out due to personal problems?

16. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Not sure a Democrat winning in Massachusetts during a very favorable electoral year is a great argument (even considering their tendency to elect moderate Republican governors). He's reasonably charsmatic, but I don't think he really adds anything.

Also his résumé (like actual employment CV not policy positions) probably would raise a few eyebrows with Democratic voters.

charlie15 repped this.
  17. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Patrick has zero chance to be the nominee. To start with it, it is really late in the game and he does not have the ground game or for that matter the funds (Like a Bloomberg for that matter).
    Agree as well with his current employment / professional activities.

18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But something is making them jump in the race this late into the process, perhaps just ego, perhaps some people are whispering crazy ideas into their ears.

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So male, conservative that may have voted for Trump in 2016 seems to be a big part of her (small) voting block.

But consider the National polling, 24% of 3% is a much smaller number than 12% of 16-20%.

So in total, more people that claim they supported Trump in 2016 back Warren, than the total that back Gabbard.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-we-know-about-tulsi-gabbards-base/

20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

Funkfoot, Yoshou and charlie15 repped this.
  21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm still having my worst nightmares about him!

Q*bert Jones III and song219 repped this.
  22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with song. I'm not holding anything solid right now, and really won't until the first three primaries. That said, it really should be a three horse race between Buttigieg, Warren and Sanders. IMO, Biden is done and might be looking for a way to drop out (or his campaign team is trying to convince him to do that).

It took a while for people to wrap their heads around all her policies. But she kept hammering away, and I think this will be the same, and people will come around to it.

I'm assuming you are kidding here. From what I have read, they take their caucusing seriously, and nobody goes into their first caucus all that naive.

23. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Interesting analysis.

This is why I also query an independent run, as she would seem to appeal more to Trumpers

Her real damage IMO, is the continuation of attacks on the Dem primary as corrupt, controlled by globalists, clinton etc

24. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that wishful thinking? Sorry mate, Biden is not going anywhere.

Warren momentum has slowed and it is likely because of M4A. She is being hammered for it, notable since the numbers do not seem to add up. That was a bad move and she may not recover from it.

25. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yeah, I don't see Biden dropping out at this point. He's wanted to be president for a long time.