The 2019 U-20 Qualifying Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Seems it was 1-1 when our GK was sent off for a DOGSO. Probably 2-1 if he doesn't do it anyway. Sounds like Carleton was dangerous, but the players were generally sloppy and not sharp and probably ran themselves out in the heat at the end of the game. Sounds like many Ramos team results.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The whole game or just those 20 minutes?

3. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    crowdsourcing! or you can follow @dallascup on twitter or https://www.facebook.com/youthsoccerUSA/

this ad brought to you by ussoccer. the "e" is for embarrassment

Tactical Hipster repped this.
  4. Danny Woodhead

Jul 12, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Cape Cod Crusaders
    This has been driving me crazy for over a year now. I didn't really watch soccer before the 2014 World Cup. After the tournament, I got hooked and found the youth national team highlights on the USSoccer YouTube channel. It's because of those videos that I'm here reading these forums everyday. It seems like they had highlights for every game at every age level. I remember watching Haji Wright score buckets of goals and was convinced we were a cycle or two away from winning the World Cup. You would think that an unpopular federation would want to be able to show fans some young players that they can get excited about, but what do I know?

5. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    They play again today at 4 p.m. local Honduran time.

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    IMG_0902.PNG 3-0 win. Perez scored one of the goals

ussoccer97531 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    ^ I think that's actually the previous games lineup and not todays

8. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weah and Sargent are on the full national team roster for the Bolivia friendly.

From yesterday:

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Yes this would make sense. They identified the two goal scorers in the second game and he was the goal scorer in the first game so that means 2 assists in the second game. Wonder if we will get highlights—probably not.

11. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    bshredder and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    If San Diego ever gets an MLS team, they could have a beast of an academy. Soto and Holcomb are both from San Diego County. Baird, Arriola, Vazquez, Corona, and all those other Xolos academy players from there too.

Kids getting called into the YNTs like Rotundo.

Historically there's Cherundolo, Hejduk, Kirovski.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typical of a player whose father is a former pro and who has college coaching experience.

dougtee repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Donovan has been trying.................right? Or did they give up on that.
    I agree, that's an under-exploited market by MLS and the USSF. Lots of talent coming out of there.

16. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Yeah, the group he is part of is trying to redevelop the Qualcomm Stadium site since the Chargers moved. But, San Diego State University also wants to develop it as well. It's up for a public vote in November I believe.

17. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    this seems like 'the formula' for a lot of stars in world soccer and sports as a whole. see also: mark and christian pulisic

18. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's especially the formula for US soccer because of how far behind we are from the rest of the world culture wise. The best way to compensate for that is to mimic the environment at home with your parents.

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    To summarize:

Qualifying is November 3-21 at IMG. Players don't have to be released by their club teams.

His core players (Lock for the qualifying team): Scott, McKenzie, Real, Goslin, Ledezma, Carleton, Rennicks, Amon, Perez, Mendez. He also mentioned Pomykal and Servania with the injury caveat. Said he'd like Durkin to also be part of the team. Thats 13 players of 20 that will be at qualifying, if healthy and released. He mentioned that he'd like to have Weah, Sargent and Taitague on the team, if possible. He called Adams a senior team and Olympic team player, but said that the topic of Adams will be discussed. 17 players. Add 2 CB's, a second keeper, and thats probably his preferred team.

He mentioned that Maloney was supposed to be at the last camp, but Union Berlin didn't allow him to attend. Instead, he sat on the bench and didn't play during a meaningless game for his team.

He mentioned that he's spoken with the families of Llanez and Mendez, but didn't want to speak with Alvarez's family because he's playing for Mexico right now. He did mention that Mexico seemingly would do the opposite though in the same situation (Gonzalez).

Winoman, TxEx, TheFalseNine and 3 others repped this.
  20. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also had good words about Amon, IIRC

But please read the article.. clicks/hits are good

tippco333, Zamphyr, KUSA77 and 8 others repped this.
  22. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Now just watch McKenzie along with Trusty lead Philly on a deep playoff run and has to miss qualifying.

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #224 ussoccer97531, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    My mistake. Too late to delete my post. I agree, its worth reading. I didn't include what he said in reference to chances young Americans are getting. There's an interesting quote there from Ramos.

Looking at the standings and teams with a chance at making the playoffs:

Atlanta: Goslin is nowhere near the first team, so no worries there. If Atlanta has one offensive injury/suspension, Carleton goes into the 18, so it'll be interesting to see what happens there. And one would think they'll play deep into the playoffs.

Columbus: Nothing to worry about here.

New York City FC: Maybe Sands? He doesn't regularly make the 18, but has made it twice, so there's still a chance they could hold him back. But we also don't even know if Ramos would pick him for the qualifying team. I suspect not.

NYRB: Adams? If available, there's no question he's on the team. NYRB certainly won't release him if they are still left in the playoffs. NYRB has made a habit of underperforming in the playoffs though, so maybe they go out early, and Adams is waiting around 2-3 months before moving to Leipzig. At that point, is it better for him to play in the two NT November friendlies or play for the Qualifying team? I'd argue the latter. Mines is another possibility here, but he's yet to be called in. He hasn't played for NYRB since the first game of the season, but did make the bench for many straight weeks until recently. If Ramos did want him for the qualifying team, there is a chance Mines could he held back.

Orlando: Nothing to worry about here.

New England: Maybe Angking? But he hasn't made the 18 for NE all season, and is probably unlikely to factor in for qualifying.

Philly: Right now one point out of the East Playoffs. A deep playoff run is unlikely, even if they find their way in, but if it somehow happened, this team likely isn't getting McKenzie. Real makes the 18 occasionally, and does seem to factor into Ramos qualifying teams, so its hard to know if he'd be released. Fontana would seem to be another possibility for the U-20 team, but I don't get the sense that he's rated all too highly by Ramos. Whether he would get released by Philly, hard to know. He does make the 18 some matches.

SKC: Lindsey makes the 18 almost every match, but has yet to play. SKC has went out of the playoffs early the last few years, but they certainly have the capability to play late into the playoffs. If thats what happens, I don't suspect Lindsey would be released. There's also the question whether Lindsey would make this team. I suspect he's right on the fringe of making it.

FC Dallas: Servania and Pomykal. Similar situations. Not currently in the FCD 18, but probably in the next spot or two. Dallas could play deep into the playoffs, and those two might be needed. Ramos did mention both players, and I suspect both have a good chance to make the qualifying team. Both could certainly be held back.

LAFC: Brewer? Maybe he's on the fringe of making the team. LAFC doesn't have much depth, so he does make the 18 on occasion.

Portland: Certainly don't have anything to worry about here.

RSL: Its possible that Ledezma or Soto could get first team contracts by the end of the year, but I doubt they'd go into the match day squad that quickly.

Houston: Nothing to worry about here.

Vancouver: Nothing to worry about here.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  24. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that DCU's season might be over by November, so maybe Durkin will be available.