The 2019 U-20 Qualifying Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by TheFalseNine, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Anything's possible (now that I've said that, I can't be wrong!) but Adams could be in a theoretical MNT "Top 30" by the time qualifying and/or a U20 Finals. If that's the case, it's hard for me to see him playing his nth-best position for a YNT on a more-than-emergency basis.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So its now accepted that CM is his best position?

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    My comment was specifically in response to the idea of shifting a current MNT player who isn't a regular LB over to LB to fill a need on a YNT. It may or may not make sense at some level, but it seems unlikely to me. (Acosta's first MNT cap came after his U20 cycle was over.) If you think Adams should be a LB for the MNT or, for that matter, his professional employer, fair enough.

4. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #129 bshredder, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Also of note.. FIFA decided NOT to scrap the U-20 and U-17 World Cups (the alternative was a single U-19 World Cup every year). That was surprising. It was expected the annual U-19 WC was going to prevail.

5. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    josh sargent gonna score 8 bundesliga goals next year and some users wont have him starting in their theoretical XI's lol

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  6. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Sargent will be at the Gold Cup or Copa America. Doubtful he'll be in Poland for the U20 WC if we qualify.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  7. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    possibly. however you can read through @ussoccer97531 post that has him on the bench.
    that user has a 2 year long posting history of playing favorites, even when other players have objectively demonstrated to be better. it's just a weird way to take in soccer, form opinions on young players and NEVER change those opinions.

asoc, Namdynamo and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It's probably a moot point, right? I'm coming to the point where I'm not sure Adams is going to be with the U20s anyway. He's not just a member of the USMNT; he's potentially a starter. [I also hope that by the summer of 2019 he's already made his move to Europe.]

In the spring/summer of 2019 we're going to have A LOT of full USMNT events. Gold Cup, probably Copa America, CONCACAF League of nations, friendlies, etc.

We know we're going to skew young at those events for obvious reasons. I just see Adams at those events and not at the CONCACAF Championships or the U20 World Cup (should we qualify).

We got to a point with Pulisic when we realized he'd moved beyond the U20s. I don't think he had a single U20 cap. I'm not there yet with Adams in this, his natural U20 cycle. But I'm close...........................

9. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m hearing the United States might actually host U-20 WC qualifying

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Sciaretta article on Lennard Maloney. I can't figure out what this means. If given the chance to play for either, who does he want to play for?

http://www.americansoccernow.com/ar...lin-lennard-maloney-eyes-international-future

“Of course, if the United States ever called, I would be over the ocean in 10 minutes,” Maloney continued. “Playing for the United States is one of my biggest dreams. If Germany is possible, I will play for Germany. But somewhere in my heart, I want to play for the United States. I don't know what it is. It's just there.”

largegarlic repped this.
  11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    It means, sure, Germany would be tough to turn down but odds are that doesn't happen and I'd love to play for the U.S. instead."

Real Corona, butters59, TxEx and 3 others repped this.
  12. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I liked this quote from him: "I am the type of player that kills everybody that has the ball and then gives it to another player who can run with it for a long time."

Sounds like an American CB to me...

13. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not 100% but I think Maloney comes to the next U.S. U-20 camp in May if Union Berlin lets him miss the last game of the season.

Namdynamo, sakibomb523, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  14. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s always nice to expand the pool, but why would they play a centerback at centerback when they can play defensive midfielders there?

Oh, is he going to play defensive midfield? Cuz then I’d understand.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks as always for keeping us up to date.

bshredder repped this.
  16. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The U.S U-20s have a camp this week starting on May 9. The camp opens in Florida and will then head to Honduras for two games against the Honduran U-20 team.

17. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few players I know who were denied a release from their clubs for the camp, which starts this week: Amon, McKenzie, Durkin

18. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love to see that

19. Sombrerito

Sombrerito Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 6, 2018
    I hate when the US plays against Honduras.. they're so dirty. Hopefully they don't injure any of the players

20. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    McKenzie Gaines?

21. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mark McKenzie... he's the top central defender of the group.

22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Here's some info (not our roster) from Honduras:

Mashburn is also eligible for the U.S. and Peru, according to the DA. I'm not sure about Bendeck.

bshredder, Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  23. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US roster tomorrow

Pl@ymaker, TarHeels17, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  24. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    GOALKEEPERS (2): David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake; Oxnard, Calif.), Seth Stiebel(Saint Louis FC; O'Fallon, Miss.)

DEFENDERS (6): Glademir Mendoza (Real Salt Lake; Phoenix, Ariz.), Manny Perez (NC State; Garner, N.C.), Matthew Real (Philadelphia Union; Drexel Hill, Pa.), Christopher Richards (FC Dallas; Hoover, Ala.), Samual Rogers (Seattle Sounders FC; Seattle, Wash.), Angel Uribe (Club Tijuana; San Diego, Calif.)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Frankie Amaya (Pateadores; Santa Ana, Calif.), Andrew Carleton (Atlanta United FC; Powder Springs, Ga.), Christopher Goslin (Atlanta United FC; Atlanta, Ga.), Andres Jimenez (Envigado FC; Miami, Fla.), Richie Ledezma (Real Salt Lake; Casa Grande, Ariz.), Alex Mendez (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.), Aristotle Zarris (LA Galaxy; Sarasota, Fla.)

FORWARDS (6): Simon Becher (Oakwood Academy SC; Brooklyn, Conn.), Shaft Brewer Jr. (LAFC; Sacramento, Calif.), Wilson Harris (Sporting Kansas City; Encino, Calif.), Abdulkadir Haji (VCU; Manchester, N.H.), Ulysses LlanezJr. (LA Galaxy; Lynwood, Calif.), Justin Rennicks (Indiana; Hamilton, Mass.)

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/clu...t-roster-announced-for-honduras-trip_aid44111

ShaftBrewer, Winoman, Pl@ymaker and 4 others repped this.
  25. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ochoa, who has also played for Mexico YNTs, is the second '01 to join the 2019 U20 cycle. He's made his professional debut for Real Monarchs and has drawn interest from abroad (likely including Liga MX clubs).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Ochoa_(soccer)